What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1-4X, 1-6X, 1-8X optics.

MMissile

I'm looking for a reasonably priced and decent quality, battle-optic for my last AR build. It's a nice gun...so I don't want junk. I also don't want to spent a butt-load on something I'll seldom shoot. I'd prefer green illumination, but not a deal breaker. It seems European glass is out my intended price-range. What do you think or have experience with?

Thanks.

DocHolliday

Contributing member
I own a couple NF 1-4x on 308 SBRs and a Kahles K16i on my 3gun AR. LVPOs are very utilitarian. I’m in the market for a Kahles K18i to put on one of the 308s for He-man in the spring. The Vortex 1-10 is also a nice optic.

Call me crazy, but I think 8 or especially 10x is sufficient for the range capabilities of 308 and definitely 223. Even if you stretch 308 out to 1000yds (which I do when I don’t feel like burning $4/trigger pull) 10x works. Ok, at 1K 15x works a little better, but you’re just plinking steel at that range. For more practical purposes, max yardage for 308 is in the 800yd vicinity and 10x will get you there.

How much magnification you need will be determined by range and target size. If your AO is dense forest and your longest shots are likely to be 200 or 300 yards, you can save money and have a bigger FOV and eye box and go with a 1-4x. If you’re on the prairie or desert and in a position to stretch the cartridge, then you’ll want more.

catinthefurnace

I'm looking for a reasonably priced and decent quality, battle-optic for my last AR build. It's a nice gun...so I don't want junk. I also don't want to spent a butt-load on something I'll seldom shoot. I'd prefer green illumination, but not a deal breaker. It seems European glass is out my intended price-range. What do you think or have experience with?

Thanks.
The Vortex Razor HD Gen II-E 1-6x is fantastic for the price. No green illumination though.

freeride1

The Vortex Razor HD Gen II-E 1-6x is fantastic for the price. No green illumination though.
The Vortex is great, the best LPVO I've used is the Kahles 1-6x but those are expensive.
I'd take a look at the used optics sections on Ar15 and snipers hide. I've scored some really good deals on high end optics

GuntherRommel

I would sack up and get the Kahles K16i or K18i also, the glass is amazing, you can always move it to a more suitable host later

Tailflash

Battle Rifle...something that won't break the bank....
Why not go for a Trijicon ACOG with green chevron or horseshoe reticle? TA31RCO-150CP-G comes to mind and made especially for M4 platform. Has both carry handle and flat top rail mounts and comes with a Tennebraex Killflash. Trijicon will replace the green tritium for a fee of course, but green tritium will last 11-13 years (red a bit longer), but then again, it has the nifty light-gathering tube on the top as a backup...

MMissile

I would sack up and get the Kahles K16i or K18i also, the glass is amazing, you can always move it to a more suitable host later
I'm not looking to move glass to other rifles. This is also a very light rifle. I may just go to a dot sight.
What I really need to do, is get rid of all the safe-queen HK stuff.....and keep my clones and modern brand-X stuff. They all work as well or better.

Last edited: