What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A SIG factoid that i believe relates to the MP5 clones that Todd Bailey/Special Weapons offered way back about 2000-2002

larryccf

Contributing member
As i mentioned in another thread, we had visited the SIG factory in Neuheusen Switzlerland to see about producing their 550/551 series here in the US, this was early 2003. One interesting detail, when we were studying the production line there was one special tool on the assembly line that neither of the folks with me could decipher it's function. One of the SIG technicians jumped over the assembly line to demo it, it was the head of a manual striking tool - Bear in mind, the 550/551 receiver is a stamped shell that the trunions are welded into (similar to the MP5, G1 & G3). If the stamped receiver shell sits overnight before the trunions are going to be welded in, they re-strike the shell as the alloy they used apparently has a high memory and will try to go back to it's pre-stamped shape. Naw, it's not going back flat, but the sides of the receiver i assume with spread apart over time, maybe only .050", possibly more - we didn't ask them. But even after welding, including welding in the bolt carrier rails, they had a tool, about 4 feet long with rollers and a dial indicator in the center, so each side had an approx 20" handle - r, receiver bottom side up and they'd drop it into the receiver and move it back & forth - the dial indicator would give them the runout on the carriers - and they could use this tool to bend the sides in slight or open them up slightly.

I have to wonder if Bailey's quality control issues didn't include him not checking the receiver shells (i had been told he sourced his shells from the portugese HK licensee - if so, they'd have sat a long time without trunions being installed.

FWIW

BTW. did he ever get those rifles dialed in and working reliably?