What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternate MP5 Flat Question

rand000

Contributing member
I'm wondering what the less expensive MP5/MP5K flats like this end up looking like when they've been folded together.
Also wondering what the extra small holes on top are for.
Has anyone built one of these and does anyone have a picture of what they look like?
I can't find anything in terms of images online.

mp5k-sp89-receiver-flat-1.jpeg

NorincoKid

Ive used those flats before, awhile back.

The small holes on top are locators for the weldments specifically made for that flat (the rear sight, scope tab etc have small posts that go into those holes)

The LSC flat is a much better flat, but those old ones like the one you posted can be made to work if you do your part....

rand000

Contributing member
LSC looks like the way to go.
Anybody know what the dimensions of the cutout for the cocking tube are?
Everything I've seen documented shows people eyeballing it and test fitting until they get everything lined up right.

NorincoKid

When I did my K('s) I just eyeballed them, its pretty self explanatory when you have the parts in your hands.

You kinda wanna fit that stuff yourself anyways, instead of working with some magical number of where to cut.

PxN7KM5.jpg

rand000

Contributing member
Man that looks clean.
Mind sharing what tool/tools you used to cut it like that?
I can think of 15 different ways to make those cuts but none of them are going to end up looking clean like that.

Grease Gunner

Those flats don't bend for $hit....I have one sitting on my desk that I spent an hour trying to get to work and it didn't come out right. LSC flats are the ONLY way to go.

As stated above in this thread, doing your own fitting on things is the best way to be when doing this stuff. Having something "pre done" doesn't always work out as one would hope, espically when it comes to this kinda stuff.

rand000

Contributing member
Is anything wrong with ORF flats?
Found an old one and everything looks pretty decent.