What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle between two of the '90s classic Wonder-Nines

Miami_JBT

Battle between two of the '90s classic Wonder-Nines

DSCN0132.JPG

The early 1990s were an amazing era in handgun development. You had the Wonder-Nine revolution sweeping the nation when it was really starting in the early 1980s with the adoption of the Beretta 92FS by the U.S. Military and the explosion in popularity of GLOCK, Sig Sauer, Ruger, HK, and Smith & Wesson with their products for the law enforcement market. By the 1990s, you had such a variety of choices and today we’re going to look at two choices offered by the Italian Stallion and Big Blue.

S&W and Beretta offered a number of variations of their guns, both are the shorter slide, full size frame variants of their traditional aluminum framed 9mm duty guns. First up is Big Blue’s gun, the Model 5903 SSV.

5903%2Bssv%2Bad.jpg

S&W took their traditional four-inch service model 5903 and did a few tweaks. But only 1,500 of ‘em were made and released in 1991 by Lew Horton. So, what did Big Blue do?

They slapped on a 6904 slide and barrel, cutting the length down to three and a half inches. Also, the 6904 was their blued carbon steel slide. So, the gun got a nice proper two-tone look.

Click here to read the rest of the article.

esh21167

I never quite understood the philosophy behind the 92 safety/decocker idea. Chambered round, decocked, and safety off makes sense: typical DA/SA. But chambered round, decocked, and safety on? And no condition 1 option. I can't imagine any 'endorsement' of condition 0 with a 92.

Hk-USPC-40

My 1st real handgun was the 92FS, Cost me $220
The 3913 was like $275 & was Tight = No Rattle..
The S&W carried better but the Beretta shot sweeter..

Hogue grips are rubbish on these guns
Seek out the factory ones, I had a gray set on the 3913NL/LS
I might even have some of the mounting hardware for the S&W Hogue somewhere??

Last edited:

MMissile

Probably had them all, and still have a few. I think I like the Walthers the best. I only kept one NIB P88.

Mpddoug162

My first issued duty weapon was a 5903. The first thing I did was put on pachmyer wrap around grips. It was a decent duty weapon and shot well, but the frames on some of our guns took a beating just from everyday uniformed carry use. We also had one that we kept in the armory that had the frame crack as an example to remind people to pay attention when cleaning theirs and look for issues.