What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can this be restored?

31ST MEUSOC

Their is a stuff called evapo-rust I think put the gun in a bowl of it they say for 24 hrs for good results I would say 72 hrs stuff works good who know until you try it.

copdoc

You could try electrolysis. Works well for looks but I still would not shoot it. You need non pulsating DC. Some chargers are not buffered.

24 pounder CS mortar round deactivated by LE prior to treating.

20190625_161514.jpg20200129_141713.jpg
20190626_082003.jpg

Brad4065

Guyanaman1963

@copdoc is that just the 2 leads connected together with a copper rod/wire?
In a 5 gallon bucket filled with? Water??? Or a saline solution?
What settings do you use, for how long?
M.

copdoc

There are many witches brews for it

For electrolyte you can use almost any polar soluble compound. Salts, acids, bases. I thought sodium bicarb to be safer, cheaper and not corrosive. I'm sure professional restoring groups have reasons for different material thicknesses, time in salt or fresh water etc.

I used 5 gallon bucket with Sodium bicarb, 12 volt dc battery charger (old one that had buffering capacitors) for anode plate tried copper but copper compounds are sticky so it had to be cleaned too often. Then I got a piece of scrap steel that worked better. Connecting wires are copper.

After electrolysis hand wire brush used. I did not use a carding brush. Too expensive for crud. 🤣🤣🤣 I used a wood tongue depressor to scrape of big pieces.

There are many things to preserve with after cleaning. I had never seen it used but I used Thompsons water seal because I had some. It might be better to boil in wax after cleaning but i just did not have time and room. Water escapes through wax.

Makes me wonder if the Hunley submarine has finished its electrolysis. I saw it years ago getting treated.

There are many youtubes on how people do it.

Brad4065

There are many witches brews for it

For electrolyte you can use almost any polar soluble compound. Salts, acids, bases. I thought sodium bicarb to be safer, cheaper and not corrosive. I'm sure professional restoring groups have reasons for different material thicknesses, time in salt or fresh water etc.

I used 5 gallon bucket with Sodium bicarb, 12 volt dc battery charger (old one that had buffering capacitors) for anode plate tried copper but copper compounds are sticky so it had to be cleaned too often. Then I got a piece of scrap steel that worked better. Connecting wires are copper.

After electrolysis hand wire brush used. I did not use a carding brush. Too expensive for crud. 🤣🤣🤣 I used a wood tongue depressor to scrape of big pieces.

There are many things to preserve with after cleaning. I had never seen it used but I used Thompsons water seal because I had some. It might be better to boil in wax after cleaning but i just did not have time and room. Water escapes through wax.

Makes me wonder if the Hunley submarine has finished its electrolysis. I saw it years ago getting treated.

There are many youtubes on how people do it.
Dude!!!!!

Now that is just flipping cool!!!!! How in the hell did you come up with that, and do you have any before
and after pics??? Thanks for sharing!!!! {ETA: Never mind the before/after pics.....just saw it above...
ADD kicked in :rolleyes:}

Cheers!!!!!