What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me learn about American Long Rifles?

Nra-Life-Member

Where is the best place to learn about American / Kentucky / Pennsylvania Long Rifles ?

Forum?

Clubs?

Current Makers of the long rifle?

Original long rifles?

--------------------------

These 2 sites were recommended to me..

National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (nmlra.org)

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

--------------------------

rea_sm.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:

copdoc

American longrifles is a good one. Individual groups sometimes have conferences, classes etc. Longrifles are sort of like art.

For the most part individuals study rifles from individual areas rather than longrifles in general.

Many are good people.

Vinz Klortho

From time to time I entertain the idea of buying one of those Uberti Brown Bess reproductions.
I know it's not American per se, have always wanted a real flintlock to keep my old CVA Hawken company.
Then I read that the last American factor making real black powder was closed.
I enjoy shooting that Hawken. It's fairly accurate and all the smoke makes people smile.
I dont think a Brown Bess would fit it my safe :LOL:
Cabelas' site says none of their flintlocks are available any more.

Last edited:

copdoc

From time to time I entertain the idea of buying one of those Uberti Brown Bess reproductions.
I know it's not American per se, have always wanted a real flintlock to keep my old CVA Hawken company.
Then I read that the last American factor making real black powder was closed.
I enjoy shooting that Hawken. It's fairly accurate and all the smoke makes people smile.
I dont think a Brown Bess would fit it my safe :LOL:
Cabelas' site says none of their flintlocks are available any more.
I could have written that exact same post except, TC Hawkin and looked bass pro. A few days ago Baas pro had them listed. They also list the Lemat replica.

Vinz Klortho

Just got home from Cabelas. Spoke to one of the gun guys. He said the Ubertis weren't big sellers so, given the supply chain issues lately they are focusing on items that do sell.
That being said Cabelas does have a LOT of stuff. They had Pyrodex, seem to have plenty of ammo in the popular calibers too.

Edited cuz nobody likes a hijacker

Last edited:

Nra-Life-Member

Not really interested at 1st on a reproduction Trying to learn about the past long guns and perhaps making a purchase.

On the other hand .. I will purchase a reproduction of something to actually use - just not sure what. I had several Long Guns that were Italy reproductions flint and some cap for decoration in the mid 1980's. When I moved 35 years ago. I gave them away. I had picked them up at a VA import firm that was closing. at wholesale prices I had a Colt Walker and Colt NAVY. Cool guns but again, when I moved I dumped them all..

So my interest has peaked again on traditional long guns. In Bedford PA about 10 - 15 years ago they had several on display in a tavern Again, very cool. So I decided I wanted something for over the fireplace that I could shoot (assuming I can get real black powder) and admire at the same time...

copdoc

You might find this of interest. Michael Briggs just contacted me. This program will be on a weekday morning in NC but if anyone happens to be in area I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

His books are great. He occasionally shows part of his phenomenal collection at programs, classes and meetings.

20211112_194246.jpg20211112_200341.jpg20211112_200359.jpg