What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My other obsession : 1965 Corvette Restoration

andrew1182

I've been MIA from most of my gun forums for a while now in an effort to concentrate my spending elsewhere, LoL. I know a bunch of you guys from the days of HKPRO before it seemed to have lost it's way so I thought I'd share what I've been throwing my time/money at with you. I'll list full build specs tomorrow if anyone is interested, but it's gotten a little out of hand, LoL.

I got this car in 2003 then I was still in college with high ambitions for getting it on the road fast; unfortunately, I quickly discovered that it was a lot more expensive than I'd anticipated. Life happened for the next decade and a half as I got married, worked 80 hours per week, put my wife through med school, and had a son. Now, 17 years later I'm finally in a position where it can happen!

01/26

g6bZRn4.jpg

T28Db0n.jpg

OXrViXl.jpg

xGSImRl.jpg

b9iYZEZ.jpg

01/27

idySDmQ.jpg

UopEywZ.jpg

01/29

VUX2RGj.jpg

m2A63QH.jpg

e5CXej3.jpg

02/05

9WWPgU9.jpg

JstIoE9.jpg

eaCzzCr.jpg

02/06

Ktz5ERf.jpg

6JkuaBo.jpg

02/08

PVWdD85.jpg

03/06

7D5LUuR.jpg

k2sxlQp.jpg

03/11

DA7DMNB.jpg

u3meuvC.jpg

andrew1182

Mg7R0dI.jpg

4k6ienO.jpg

04/12

I3VRAVU.jpg

yzqzP1z.jpg

QnqeF9N.jpg

QU27bS1.jpg

04/28

kwVdWaw.jpg

r5Mzr2k.jpg

2kaHrZ1.jpg

Cold start:

Dyno:

Got the engine on the dyno today. We only ran it to 6,000 RPM and it was still making power. Put down 655hp/624tq. Once I get my headers and EFI system on there we should pick up another 50hp. I'm pretty tickled with how it turned out.

kwVdWaw.jpg

r5Mzr2k.jpg

2kaHrZ1.jpg

Cold start:

Dyno:

Exhaust note from outside building:

05/09

37dcf3p.jpg

VqKGcYg.jpg

V6c6lJo.jpg

andrew1182

95j1Ra2.jpg

1MGUpVL.jpg

2YHZMOu.jpg

SBOD5bV.jpg

OYvE63n.jpg

WQ3hkS7.jpg

cTkA9z5.jpg

eEPoYYs.jpg

aNARhid.jpg

4cqRP0V.jpg

Can't wait to see these Dakota Digital gauges all it up:

lG0JH3h.jpg

06/19

My Forgeline's arrived today and I'm pretty dang happy with how they turned out. I think they'll look amazing with the Glenn green paint.

G2zFktC.jpg

JKUbDWy.jpg

MWzuoct.jpg

06/24

Got the accessory drive system installed and WOW!

8PFspkl.jpg

GmanVP9

Wow things are coming along nicely. Are you doing all the work yourself?
ETA on when she'll be done? Classics are so fun, I have a 65 Beetle. Pretty easy to work on and has that raw feeling new cars don't

andrew1182

Wow things are coming along nicely. Are you doing all the work yourself?
ETA on when she'll be done? Classics are so fun, I have a 65 Beetle. Pretty easy to work on and has that raw feeling new cars don't
Shooting for end of August. Two friends I've known for decades are doing the majority of the work. They run an 1/8th mile racing team that sets world records so I'm leaving the important stuff to the professionals. Work smarter, not harder, LoL.

ENDER

Staff member
UPS delivering gun parts or car parts - doesn't matter, will pretty much elicit that same feeling of anxious excitement. What an awesome project.

Keep the pics coming.

MMissile

Very cool car. Looks like you're doing things properly, for a quality resto-mod. I've been building mopars for 45+ years, and wish we had the access to the variety of aftermarket support that GM and Mustang guys have always had. That'll be a fun vette. I also like the green. When I was a bunch younger, I worked in a vette resto shop.... and am surprised and pleased that your car was so solid. Nice.

Your choice of a hydraulic-roller was good for a driving/low-upkeep car. Just don't over-rev it, as it'll behave like any other hydraulic cam.6500 is generally at the ["pushing it"] point.The EFI will be nice, once sorted. The headers on the dyno also looked better than the side-pipe ones for performance....but exhaust is always a balance and crap shoot. That's a nice and thought-out car.

Last edited:

andrew1182

Thanks guys. I’m pretty excited.

MMissle, I remember that dyno of your last engine! Monster!

My current plan is to leave the body 100% original and drop it back on the complete new rolling chassis because I love the idea of the old patina on all the new running gear.

Here’s a quick run down of components:

-Engine started as a crate ZZ502. Took it to Smiths Automotive Machine Shop to have it gone through because it had been sitting. Ended up having the heads massaged, valve train upgraded, swapped in a significantly larger cam (259/259 .632 112 if memory serves me correctly), milled the heads and decked the block to 11:1 compression.

-March Revolver serpentine setup

-Holly Sniper Efi setup complete with their tank and pump

-ACP (formerly Stahl) headers

-full Vansteel suspension w/ coil overs front and rear w/offset trailing assemblies

-Vansteel modified/built rear end w/30 spline axles and 3.73 gear

-Wilwood 14” crossdrilled/slotted rotors with 6 piston calipers upfront and 4 piston in rear

-borgeson power steering setup

-Modern Drive Line TKO600 setup with twin disc hydraulic clutch

-Dewitt twin electric fan radiator

-Dakota digital gauges and clock

-3 point seatbelt conversion

-Forgeline grudge wheels

Last edited:

MMissile

Very cool. Similar thoughts as my mom's old car resto. All modern driveline and suspension/steering/brakes.
All I have left to do, is install the finished interior, A/C charge, and front alignment. Then, start tuning the ECM as I drive it. I don't have any recent pics....

cuda windshield -2.jpg

andrew1182

I’m having a little cognitive dissonance about not forking over the cash for a modern chassis, but this project started out as a simple engine swap😂

Also had the rear end modified to where the original case was machined by vansteel to essentially accept 12bolt guts so hopefully I won’t grenade it.

MMissile

With the added power and torque, plus being a stick........that IRS is your weak link, anyways. I remember the S/S guys using Dana-60 centers for their vettes, plus fabbed axles, etc....
If it hooks, it'll break. "I" think you went the correct route, as I don't like pro-touring cars. They're just too far removed from saying you have an old car.

My ma's old car, started as a correct resto. I have an entire rebuilt-OEM everything...that sits in the shop. LOL

Last edited:

andrew1182

With the added power and torque, plus being a stick........that IRS is your weak link, anyways. I remember the S/S guys using Dana-60 centers for their vettes, plus fabbed axles, etc....
If it hooks, it'll break. "I" think you went the correct route, as I don't like pro-touring cars. They're just too far removed from saying you have an old car.

My ma's old car, started as a correct resto. I have an entire rebuilt-OEM everything...that sits in the shop. LOL
That (and obviously the added cost) is exactly why I opted to use the original frame and put a big block back in the car. Thanks for the reassurance I made the right choice!

MMissile

That color combo is gonna be stunning. What color top? I'd do what I liked, there.

andrew1182

That color combo is gonna be stunning. What color top? I'd do what I liked, there.

I've got a white one that I've had since I bought the car, but I'm probably going to go with tan I think. Matches the interior and will probably look better against the bronze wheels. Thoughts?

Last edited:

MMissile

The correct tan would be great. Don't go too generic. Also the euro-canvas tops are very cool. I looked a lot of green ones, but none were right for the car.