What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ruger SP101 2 1/4" 357 Magnum

Hk-USPC-40

Picking up a Ruger SP101 July 1st for observation of the Constitutional Carry that comes to my State of Indiana July 1st 2022
I've had 5-6 of these in the past & came across one at a price I couldn't pass up, so another snubby revolver is in my future
These little revolvers are built like a tank
I already have a Hogue grip & a DAO Hammer for this in my stash + spring kits & shims for the innards
Have a nice holster + speed loaders & speed strips etc.
Need to start using my stash up + 38spl & 357 magnum ammo
576-53653.jpg

UltraFudd

I know it’s a different brand gun, but I recently did some range testing on a shorter barrel Python. I like the 3” and was pleased when Colt re-released them in that length. There shouldn’t be a lot of difference between my 3” and your 2-1/2”, so here is my range report on another forum reposted for your info.

I finally had a chance to get my 3" new Colt Python out to the range with a variety of carry ammo to see if what is claimed by the different manufacturers holds water, is reliable and consistent, and interesting to shoot. Today, I tested 3 lots of ammunition, firing at 25 yards over a range bag rest with two hands, single action. each load tested was a six-shot speed loader loaded 12 round test using a LabRadar chronograph. All calculations shown were computed by the LabRadar. I did not note which shot came from which specific chamber; they got loaded as is.

Ammo shot in string two, then one and finally string three are shown L to R here:
Bullet Ammunition Lighter Cylinder Gun accessory

The pistol is unmodified except for a set of Badger Custom Goncalo grips and it has roughly 150 rounds through it.
Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel

STRING #1
Remington 125gr JFP.
Device ID LBR-0001485
Series No 1
Total number of shots 12
Units velocity fps
Units distances yd
Units kinetic energy ft-lbf
Units weight grain (gr) 125
Stats - Average 1402.53 fps
Stats - Highest 1425.46 fps
Stats - Lowest 1362.57 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 62.9 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 20.47 fps

This ammo had significant muzzle flash, but excellent accuracy and the best standard deviation.

STRING #2
Remington 125gr SJHC
Device ID LBR-0001485
Series No 2
Total number of shots 12
Units velocity fps
Units distances yd
Units weight grain (gr) 125
Stats - Average 1398 fps
Stats - Highest 1421.65 fps
Stats - Lowest 1338.64 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 83 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 21.43 fps

This ammo had the least muzzle flash of all, and was only 4fps lower in average velocity from the JFP loads. Basically the two Remington loads were pretty much indistinguishable from each other, and the user needs only determine whether their preference is for greater expansion with the SJHC, or more penetration with the JFP. That information was gleaned from older online testing of these two loads. Note that loads # 1 and #2 basically shoot to the same point of aim on the 25 yard target shown. I shoot front sight level with the center X.

Eye Art Circle Gas Font

STRING #3
Hornady 158gr XTP/HP handloaded with 15.2gr of AA#9 powder, CCI 550 magnum primer in W-W once fired brass.
Device ID LBR-0001485
Series No 3
Total number of shots 12
Units velocity fps
Units distances yd
Units weight grain (gr) 158
Stats - Average 1230.82 fps
Stats - Highest 1263.14 fps
Stats - Lowest 1193.33 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 69.81 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 23.58 fps

This ammo was loaded by me April 7th, 2001 and is one of my favorite handloads for the Python in 4" length. It's got a pretty significant bark and muzzle flash with some side spitting noticeable. At 25 yards it shoots just a bit higher to point of aim as seen from the 12 rounds shot in the photo below.

Eye Art Circle Illustration Sport venue

Lastly, on an earlier range day, I fired test strings of PMC Bronze .357 Magnum ammo in 158gr JFP. I was interested to see how PMC gets their claimed 1400fps+ out of a heavyweight bullet. Turns out, they don't.

Results are below:

STRING #4
Device ID LBR-0001485
PMC Bronze 158gr JFP in Colt Python 3in
Series No 32
Total number of shots 12
Units velocity fps
Units distances yd
Units weight grain (gr) 158
Stats - Average 1082 fps
Stats - Highest 1135 fps
Stats - Lowest 1049 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 86 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 22.13 fps

This load is actually fairly mild, groups well to point of aim, and is widely available on the market. Its velocity claims are pretty far from reality unless they were using a 20" test barrel, shooting to the South, downhill with a following wind. A person can significantly improve on this ammo by handloading. Additionally, it doesn't open up very much as seen in other internet videos. I recommend it as a nice practice ammo if you want to shoot something with a bit more magnum zip than loading .38 Special.

I carry the Remington 125gr SJHC with one speed loader each of the Remington SJHC and JFP due to their interchangeability in point of aim and the additional penetration (usually 22-23" versus the 13-14" in the SJHC) of the JFP. I was pleased to note that there was not a significant drop off in velocity with the 3" Python as opposed to its longer variants in all of the ammunition tested.

Hk-USPC-40

I have shimmed the hammer, trigger & hammer dog & put Wolff Springs in the SP101 + a Hogue Grip
It's ready for the range & holster now

KSP-321X.JPG

I might convert it to DAO & already have an early machined non MIM hammer setup for the conversion
P6040001.JPG
P6030011.JPG
Ruger SP101 357.JPG

Last edited:

Hk-USPC-40

Ended up buying a Springfield Hellcat OSP & a SIG Sauer P365XL lately
Need to tone it down or wife will have a stroke

P7180016 (1).JPGP7180027.JPGP8050009.JPGP8050011.JPGP8050021.JPG