What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take delivery of a new TESLA Model 3 or Model Y between December 21 and 31, 2022 for a $7,500 credit and 10,000 miles of free Supercharging

Nra-Life-Member

When I get the Rolex 50mm - I'll get a Tesla!;)

The deal looks good with the 10K miles of free charging if you travel in Tesla charging station areas.

flybynt

Dont get me started.

EVs are the biggest scam ever. It leaves you vulnerable when the grid goes down and it will. Just ask Californians during the summertime with rolling blackouts or the Texans during the 2021 winter storms and many many other examples. Oh and as the sun enters a solar maximum phase as it is the process of doing now and will reach in 2025, solar flares and CMEs play havoc and stress the grid further.

Oh did i mention the privacy related issues and intrusive nature of all the cameras and location sensors these cars are bristling with and the detailed info they send back to the company which is used by the govt and law enforcement. It also gives them a measure of control over the vehicle in some cases (which could be expanded) as well as a direct way to progressively TAX you since you no longer pay fuel tax to maintain the roads.

The aquisition and service costs when out of warranty plus the higher insurance costs more than out weigh the fuel savings. If a battery in the pack goes you will pay a pretty penny and if not can pretty much count on scrapping the vehicle.

Not to mention the touted enviornmental cost is also a total sham. Have you seen what it takes to make a battery pack? Also there is no way to recover/recycle the batteries so they should go into a special hazzardous waste disposal site because they leech heavy metals and other toxins but imstead mostly go into a standard landfill.

Oh and did I mention most of the rare elements like lithium used in the batteries are mined in other counties like Australia, Latin America, and our new frenemie China with other sources in the middle east. Does that sound like a recipe for energy independance to you or are we just switching the OPEC nations for others?

Claimed range is a sham also, topology i.e mountains and grades, temperature both high heat and extreme cold effect battery performance, as does other mechanical factors like low tire pessure can further reduce range. Also things you take for granted like climate control and safety i.e. a/c, heat, wipers, headlights etc all eat into range.

Also have you seen what lithium does when it gets wet or a battery pack ruptures...no thanks.

Last edited:

Lamont

Staff member
Yeah I appreciate what Elon has done with Twitter. STARLINK is awesome from what I can tell. But my interest in electric vehicles is limited to off road Enduro style bikes or Quads. Neither of which I currently own, and I cannot see owning a vehicle which, if the battery pack goes bad, is going to result in a bill for $16K. Driving an EV around on the street as a daily driver has no appeal to me. It may be able to beat my Charger 5.7 Hemi R/T AWD in a straight line, but real roads have curves, and no one says "Ooooh, a Tesla". Yawn.

Nra-Life-Member

The Model S Plaid might be interesting.
Top Speed 200 mph
0-60 mph 1.99 sec

I test drove a 3 (I think) in the summer. It might give some a pause and say - wow that moves fast - it also drove nice (For us old guys)

Tailflash

I think there will be a day when all the bugs are fixed on EVs, but until then, I'll sit back and watch them run out of power, don't charge in extreme cold weather, have bogus mileage estimates between charges, their batteries waning power capacity over time, and the electrical bill (I can just imagine) is going to go through the roof, because electricity isn't getting any cheaper (thanks to Green Energy push).
Strange that my home insurance company recently asked me if I had a EV or intended to get one during a review of my home insurance plan. I'll bet the days of cheap home insurance will be a thing of the past when you purchase an EV and apply for car insurance; (they) knowing that you have to charge your vehicle at home and most likely in your garage. Oh, auto insurance and home insurance companies (if like me are one and the same), yeah, we all know they don't share info (if different company) and have no way of knowing you own an EV; your secret is our secret... BS.

Last edited:

Nra-Life-Member

Strange that my home insurance company recently asked me if I had a EV or intended to get one during a review of my home insurance plan. I'll bet the days of cheap home insurance will be a thing of the past when you purchase an EV and apply for car insurance; (they) knowing that you have to charge your vehicle at home and most likely in your garage.

Back in the day - using one company was just easier. One agent - Auto - Home - Life and perhaps a multi-policy discount. No Internet - no way to price compare without calling everyone and their brother..