What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VP9/L firing pin support sleeve

Ibew3ny

Hello All,
Question for any VP9/L owners. I bought my Vp9 in May and have put a few thousand rounds through it. My question is, I did a cleaning where I removed the firing pin. The firing pin support sleeve is, plastic and could very easily get damaged, HK parts has an aluminum aftermarket sleeve, and I also saw a stainless steel replacement as well. If I replace the factory plastic sleeve with a metal aftermarket one, could it get hot and expand, damaging the firing pin or any components related. Did HK put a plastic one there for that reason, or just to cut costs on certain parts? I wouldn’t think they would do plastic to cut costs. Should I get a new plastic one or go for the metal one? TIA!

LEMming

That equivalent OEM polymer part in Glocks last for a VERY long time, like years and tens of thousands of rounds. It's not clear to me if those HKP metal ones offer any actual improvement in anything.

What could sway me would be a torture test quantifiably demonstrating that theirs outlasts the OEM version by tens of thousands of rounds. That or some other quantifiable improvement. Seeing as they haven't done anything like that I've seen anywhere, I would say it's a novelty item and a "solution" in search of a problem.

RetropM

I would not use anything that isn't OEM from HKParts in my gun, the factory HK sleeve is more than adequate and is not damaged through normal use. If you damaged it during removal then you did it wrong.

czgunner

I'd leave the plastic item in. They are available for not much money if you manage to damage it.
I think having a metal replacement would increase wear and cause issues in extreme heat or cold.