What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What HK do you EDC CCW?

LEMming

I've been carrying a P30 LEM 9mm for a couple years now. More recently I've started carrying a P2000 9mm a bit more frequently, but I keep coming back to the P30.

IMG_20200713_075910_tn.jpg

As far as the configuration of mine:
  • "TLG" LEM config + 4.1ch + GGI SRT kit
  • GGI flat trigger (AMAZING! I will post a thread on it sometime soon.)
  • Heinie straight 8's (Old pic, now I'm on an all black rear sight from the Trijicon fiber sight set, but with a Heinie front. That Trijicon fiber rear has a DEEP notch which I LOVE for shooting at speed!)
  • HK short slide release lever (single side, I pulled the right side lever as I don't need it and hated the rattle)
I'm sure I'll get some questions about the slide release. That was an experiment I'm still playing around with. I tend to get an extremely aggressive and high "thumbs forward" grip (ref: Bob Vogel grip on YouTube if you want to see what I mean). On some platforms, that's lead to me dealing with failure to lockback on the last round, or for other platforms, premature lockback on a partial mag. I never really had a huge problem with that on the P30, though it happened a few times. So, I figured I'd experiment with some of the slim and short lever variants to see what I can see. That short lever certainly takes more conscious effort to activate, but it's do-able and not a huge issue. I may end up going back to the slimmed and cutdown lever the previous owner modified, that's in between this and stock.

I'm sure I will also get questions or comments about my terribly "scuffed" grip panels and backstrap. Those are also an experiment I've been playing with and still undecided on. For me, I've found the P30 to have some odd tracking characteristics in recoil when shooting at speed. One hypothesis has been that the shape of the spiderman grip is such that some of the curves or humps might make it difficult to maintain a consistent or even grip, causing the gun to track slightly erratic in recoil as opposed to perfectly straight up and down. I'm not talking about a massive difference, and to some degree it's nitpicking, but I am a serial "optimizer" and must try to improve everything! So I bought a set of spare panels and dremeled down the hump that's normally present in that area where they meet. This had the effect of making the side profile of the grip much flatter. The jury is still out for me on that one, but panels are cheap so why not have fun! ;)

I usually carry with 147gr HST, though I'm cool with 124gr or 147gr standard pressure HST or Gold Dots. Enough study and testing has been done of those rounds to demonstrate their exceptional performance for the caliber that I trust them (ref: Gary K Roberts for more on ballistics and ballistic wounding factors).

I've tried a TON of holsters over the years, but the ones I've stuck with consistently for maybe the past 5-7yrs (or however long it's been out) is the JMCK Wing Claw 2.5. Across Glocks, SIGs, and H&Ks, JMCK's holsters have worked very well for me.

AGG

Staff member
I've been carrying a P30 LEM 9mm for a couple years now. More recently I've started carrying a P2000 9mm a bit more frequently, but I keep coming back to the P30.

View attachment 3619

As far as the configuration of mine:
  • "TLG" LEM config + 4.1ch + GGI SRT kit
  • GGI flat trigger (AMAZING! I will post a thread on it sometime soon.)
  • Heinie straight 8's (Old pic, now I'm on an all black rear sight from the Trijicon fiber sight set, but with a Heinie front. That Trijicon fiber rear has a DEEP notch which I LOVE for shooting at speed!)
  • HK short slide release lever (single side, I pulled the right side lever as I don't need it and hated the rattle)
I'm sure I'll get some questions about the slide release. That was an experiment I'm still playing around with. I tend to get an extremely aggressive and high "thumbs forward" grip (ref: Bob Vogel grip on YouTube if you want to see what I mean). On some platforms, that's lead to me dealing with failure to lockback on the last round, or for other platforms, premature lockback on a partial mag. I never really had a huge problem with that on the P30, though it happened a few times. So, I figured I'd experiment with some of the slim and short lever variants to see what I can see. That short lever certainly takes more conscious effort to activate, but it's do-able and not a huge issue. I may end up going back to the slimmed and cutdown lever the previous owner modified, that's in between this and stock.

I'm sure I will also get questions or comments about my terribly "scuffed" grip panels and backstrap. Those are also an experiment I've been playing with and still undecided on. For me, I've found the P30 to have some odd tracking characteristics in recoil when shooting at speed. One hypothesis has been that the shape of the spiderman grip is such that some of the curves or humps might make it difficult to maintain a consistent or even grip, causing the gun to track slightly erratic in recoil as opposed to perfectly straight up and down. I'm not talking about a massive difference, and to some degree it's nitpicking, but I am a serial "optimizer" and must try to improve everything! So I bought a set of spare panels and dremeled down the hump that's normally present in that area where they meet. This had the effect of making the side profile of the grip much flatter. The jury is still out for me on that one, but panels are cheap so why not have fun! ;)

I usually carry with 147gr HST, though I'm cool with 124gr or 147gr standard pressure HST or Gold Dots. Enough study and testing has been done of those rounds to demonstrate their exceptional performance for the caliber that I trust them (ref: Gary K Roberts for more on ballistics and ballistic wounding factors).

I've tried a TON of holsters over the years, but the ones I've stuck with consistently for maybe the past 5-7yrs (or however long it's been out) is the JMCK Wing Claw 2.5. Across Glocks, SIGs, and H&Ks, JMCK's holsters have worked very well for me.

Welcome again to the site, and thanks for the excellent reviews. ;)

Tony

Last edited:

Jslow

Contributing member
My main HK EDC is a p2000 V3 no external safety in .40 S&W and with a set of Trijicon HD yellow NS carried in a G-code Eclipse IWB holster!

MEW

I don't carry an HK anymore but when I did it was the 45c. in a TT gunleather holster. Perfect match for a great carry .45

flybynt

I carry a full size VP9 OR with a RMR 09 in a crossbreed supertuck iwb holster. I also have a vp40 slide so when I want to use a bigger hotter round i have that option. I also use a vertex commuter for off body carry of the same pistol. At times I carry the pistol iwb as described and an mp5 or mp5k in a vertex commuter bag.

Why? Well iwb is comfortable, easy to conceal, and lets me carry a full-size pistol thats easy for me to run with a good capacity. I also want to carry what I practice shooting, has easy recoil management, large mag capacity, plus its easy to dress around this configuration without compromise.

As for the bag, easy to combine ballistic protection with bigger more arcuate firepower and do it incognito. Dont ever go anywhere undergunned or without the ability to have some of the protection of a vest without one.

Last edited: