What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who here has cut the cord?

ENDER

Staff member
Today I ditched Xfinity services all together (well, I'll wait until Wide Open West completes their internet install next week). I am currently trialing Youtube TV - and it works pretty well. It looks like I can save about $80 a month and pick up some channels I didn't previously have.

I am however losing Ancient :alien:'s

I'd be interested in hearing what route other's have gone.

Tailflash

I cut Comcast many years ago after I realized I only watched just a few channels that I could count on one hand and hated the crazy minimum price 'forced' bundle packages you had to select. When over-air signals were changed to digital high-def years ago, I suddenly discovered my old rooftop Radio Shack antenna could receive absolutely crystal-clear digital HD channels and shocked to see all the new channels they had added, so have been viewing rooftop service for over 15 years now just for the price of electricity. It's nice to have a clear direct line of sight signal from my house to the HD transmitter about 25 miles away on a mountaintop. I've since purchased a new modern digital rooftop antenna that will be going up in the next month when I get my roof replaced.

I have $hitty internet through CenturyLink that I'm probably going to dump in favor of getting UTOPIA fiber optic that the laid down in my front yard a year or two ago. Would be awesome to have 250Mbps speed over the 'promised' 40Mbps through CenturyLink that just can't keep up during peak usage hours if watching internet channels.

HKshooter

I cut Comcast many years ago after I realized I only watched just a few channels that I could count on one hand and hated the crazy minimum price 'forced' bundle packages you had to select. When over-air signals were changed to digital high-def years ago, I suddenly discovered my old rooftop Radio Shack antenna could receive absolutely crystal-clear digital HD channels and shocked to see all the new channels they had added, so have been viewing rooftop service for over 15 years now just for the price of electricity. It's nice to have a clear direct line of sight signal from my house to the HD transmitter about 25 miles away on a mountaintop. I've since purchased a new modern digital rooftop antenna that will be going up in the next month when I get my roof replaced.

I have $hitty internet through CenturyLink that I'm probably going to dump in favor of getting UTOPIA fiber optic that the laid down in my front yard a year or two ago. Would be awesome to have 250Mbps speed over the 'promised' 40Mbps through CenturyLink that just can't keep up during peak usage hours if watching internet channels.
We have Centurylink, too. Good Lord it sucks. Was out for two weeks solid last month.

I dropped cable a good number of years ago and haven't looked back. In the next couple of years I'm hoping they run fiber down our road and if they do we are signing on asap.

CIH8240

Today I ditched Xfinity services all together (well, I'll wait until Wide Open West completes their internet install next week). I am currently trialing Youtube TV - and it works pretty well. It looks like I can save about $80 a month and pick up some channels I didn't previously have.

I am however losing Ancient :alien:'s

I'd be interested in hearing what route other's have gone.
I don’t have YouTube TV but funny thing is I was texting a friend about tv providers today, and he said he has YouTube tv and it is expensive! Now how expensive, I didn’t ask but it’s just what he told me.

ENDER

Staff member
I don’t have YouTube TV but funny thing is I was texting a friend about tv providers today, and he said he has YouTube tv and it is expensive! Now how expensive, I didn’t ask but it’s just what he told me.
It's $65 plus tax per month. Add that to the basic WOW internet offering at $10 plus tax and it is $100 less than Comcast. per month. I'm not sure if I can get away with the 50Mbps package, but that's where I will start.

I'm also considering Sling as an alternative which is only $35 per month (but I'd lose the Big Ten Network - but pick back up Acient :alien:'s lol)

CIH8240

It's $65 plus tax per month. Add that to the basic WOW internet offering at $10 plus tax and it is $100 less than Comcast. per month. I'm not sure if I can get away with the 50Mbps package, but that's where I will start.

I'm also considering Sling as an alternative which is only $35 per month (but I'd lose the Big Ten Network - but pick back up Acient :alien:'s lol)
That doesn’t sound too bad at all, it’s way less then I pay for direct tv.

HK12Step

I ditched DirecTV a year and a half ago when they raised my monthly to $180. I bought an indoor antenna and pay $0 now. It gets around 40 channels including all my locals (but I flip between maybe 10) Also have Amazon prime and bought a Roku stick, but I watch way less Tv now and am totally content. I miss NFL ticket but this is the last year of the contract for DirecTV and the NFL is going to announce which streaming service will get the new contract, may check that out.

GuntherRommel

New Samsung tvs have 500-700 of free channels built in, couple that with a digital antenna or Roko (you can pay for what you want) and a good internet connection and you will never need cable again. That is all we use for last few years. Mostly watch HBOmax and Prime and Netflix anyway, only tele for local news and old reruns of The Rifleman and Rat Patrol

TooSixy

Disabled/Inactive
I dropped AT&T U-Verse years ago and only have their GigaPower Internet (gigabit Internet service). HBOMax comes free with the GigaPower package and I have subscription to Hulu+. I use Plex for everything else (have a home server that serves as my Plex Media Server).

ENDER

Staff member
I guess my apprehension has always been losing that all familiar channel guide. I'm old enough to remember the transission from analog cable boxes to digital. The lag from changing channel to channel drove me nuts. Now I'm used to it but the lag while using the streaming service channel guide is even worse.

I'm finding there is something to be said for the Xfinity platform with a remote you can talk to. As is stands now, they have unified everything and I can say for example "DUNE". It will display all available options whether I am a current subscriber or not (Peacock, HULU, Amazon Prime, Paramount, Netflix, etc) and drive it all from a single pane of glass.

I'm gonna miss that unless someone has an alternative I have yet to find.

31328fac

Out of necessity had to go T-Mobil internet then went YouTube TV was a little sketchy in beginning with Tmobil but 99 percent of time watch everything in 1080 saving at least $100 bucks a month over what I was paying with Spectrum

ENDER

Staff member
Out of necessity had to go T-Mobil internet then went YouTube TV was a little sketchy in beginning with Tmobil but 99 percent of time watch everything in 1080 saving at least $100 bucks a month over what I was paying with Spectrum
I'm waiting for T-Mobile internet to become available in my area as I use their mobile service. Feedback?

Tailflash

I guess my apprehension has always been losing that all familiar channel guide. I'm old enough to remember the transission from analog cable boxes to digital. The lag from changing channel to channel drove me nuts. Now I'm used to it but the lag while using the streaming service channel guide is even worse.

I'm finding there is something to be said for the Xfinity platform with a remote you can talk to. As is stands now, they have unified everything and I can say for example "DUNE". It will display all available options whether I am a current subscriber or not (Peacock, HULU, Amazon Prime, Paramount, Netflix, etc) and drive it all from a single pane of glass.

I'm gonna miss that unless someone has an alternative I have yet to find.

Ha!
I'm old enough to remember my parents getting a state-of-the-art Zenith Color TV back in the late 60s/early 70s that came with 'Space Command' Remote. Then watched as the motor would turn the channel knob on the TV, clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk, while my parents smirked about having the latest technology in all of Northern Wisconsin. I think there were only three over-air channels available out of Duluth MN and one piss poor channel that occasionally bounced over Lake Superior from Thunder Bay Canada; loved the moose sighting and ice fishing reports.
This is where the term 'Clicker' came from. I always had to take the clicker apart to put the solid aluminum dowels back in place within two taught wires that held them 'in space'; which happened a lot if you dropped the remote and the thick orange-n-green shag carpet didn't cushion its impact enough. Press a button and a small spring-loaded steel dowel would be shot forward, hitting the back of an aluminum dowel that was cut to a different precise length as to create a different high-pitched 'ping' that the TV would recognize as a 'special' command. I found out that you could cough really load or clap your hand a few times and the channel would change; clunk, clunk, clunk, really pissed off my mom... Ah, those were good times...before flush toilets.

1663191861102.png

Last edited:

31328fac

Feedback?
At first it was pretty sketchy somedays would run fine other days felt like the old dial up, they told me they were going to upgrade a tower near me and once they did should see a remarkable improvement I think that has happened here is a speed test today at 5:30pm traffic which is normally slowest time of day I am extremely happy with it and for what I am paying vs cable which I no longer have access too........
1663195109651.png

Klaus

Ha!
I'm old enough to remember my parents getting a state-of-the-art Zenith Color TV back in the late 60s/early 70s that came with 'Space Command' Remote. Then watched as the motor would turn the channel knob on the TV, clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk, while my parents smirked about having the latest technology in all of Northern Wisconsin. I think there were only three over-air channels available out of Duluth MN and one piss poor channel that occasionally bounced over Lake Superior from Thunder Bay Canada; loved the moose siting and ice fishing reports.
This is where the term 'Clicker' came from. I always had to take the clicker apart to put the solid aluminum dowels back in place within two taught wires that held them 'in space'; which happened a lot if you dropped the remote and the thick orange-n-green shag carpet didn't cushion its impact enough. Press a button and a small spring-loaded steel dowel would be shot forward, hitting the back of an aluminum dowel that was cut to a different precise length as to create a different high-pitched 'ping' that the TV would recognize as a 'special' command. I found out that you could cough really load or clap your hand a few times and the channel would change; clunk, clunk, clunk, really pissed off my mom... Ah, those were good times...before flush toilets.

View attachment 8841

Attachments

• 9CF313D4-2BFE-4AE4-AB4D-8940BDCDC176.jpeg
    9CF313D4-2BFE-4AE4-AB4D-8940BDCDC176.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 4

31328fac

And BTW DVR is great with Youtube still kinda of in Beta mode seems like but unlimited storage and if there is a series you are interested hit record couple of months later it will have almost every episode ready to watch skip commercials very fast tells you if you have already watched, wont allow deletions so that usually gives you multiple copies from different networks............

HKshooter

Yup, uh, huh. We have been getting emails that CenturyLink has been sold to Brightspeed. I guess we'll soon see just how bright it is.
After promises of lowering the bill for the two week loss of service I got the new bill and yup, full price. Had to navigate the vast maze of phone gators to finally hang up and use the chat feature to talk to someone who did, indeed, lower our bill, live while I was online. Thanked the guy and paid it.