What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always been wondering why the Bundeswehr has never considered , last round bolt hold open as a tactical option?

Letzte Runde in MT

Contributing member
Does this thinking go back to the time , aimed fire from a bolt action could defeat the M1?

Attachments

• 20201213_205452.jpg
    20201213_205452.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 5

dirtyharriett

That is about the only missing feature from my roller lock HK's that I miss. It is obviously not a deal breaker for me... but I also don't use them as my primary MBR so I can overlook that rather easily.

eodinert

Bolt velocity on a G3 is high, and would beat a bolt hold open to death. It would fail, and cause malfunctions.

Letzte Runde in MT

Contributing member
Bolt velocity on a G3 is high, and would beat a bolt hold open to death. It would fail, and cause malfunctions.
Ive been contemplating your assertion that do to the extreme velocity and mass of the apparent design failure , the German engineers couldn't overcome this engineering feat efficiently?
Just wondering why many 308' s ,such as the FN fal, m1a , etc.... must be the piston allowing the mass to be sufficiently reduced .
Do you have actual bolt velocity of the Hk 91?

MJ1

Put the bolt and carrier on a scale and there is your answer. Same question on the AK too.

This was covered in a class I took in 1966.

Last edited:

AGG

Staff member
The "Yugos" did--- and HK on a few of its MP5 variants. ;)

Tony

Pavia

My FNC and Galil don’t have it, so I can’t complain that the HK91 doesn’t have it either.

Barn Owl Lover

I thought that it had to do with having to send the bolt home at very high velocity to get it to "lock up" in battery after changing mags. That's why the G41 version of the HK33 also had a forward assist (or silent bolt closure as HK called it), because it had a last round hold open. Roller delayed bolts on HK rifles have to be sent to battery with some considerable authority to get it suitably in battery. Or at least that's the explanation I got in a Forgotten Weapons video on the HK21 GPMG (some HK LMG/GPMGs and the PSG-1 also used a similar silent bolt closure/forward assist).