What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My latest impulse buy...

MMissile

I was browsing the local Marketplace on fakebook, and this caught my eye. It was 20 minutes away, and the right color. I figured it couldn't be as nice as it looked..........wrong.

Prowler 13.jpg
Prowler 2.jpgProwler 14.jpg
Prowler 16.jpg

It was purchased in 1999 by a guy around 70 years-old. He passed-on in the last year, leaving the car to his grand-daughter. She HATES convertibles, and it hardly got moved from the garage. I bought it on Monday, after 2 prior trips to look at it, then drive it. It's an absolute blast to drive. I'm going to replace all the fluids, filters, and rubber parts on the engine. Can't trust 22 year-old rubber parts....especially that timing-belt.

Psifer

Contributing member
Congrats! I really like the exposed double-wishbone suspension setup in the front. I wish they still made cars that shared a similar look to it. Hopefully, it can handle as well it looks too! It appears to be in damn near mint condition, although the radiator shows some sign of it being road driven. What's the mileage? That's quite a tight engine bay to working in

MMissile

Thanks guys!
The Prowler is/was the only car of it's type made by a major auto maker. I never really looked at one, til I went to see this car. It's an amazing car, and Chrysler's "exercise" in making aluminum a large percentage of a car. It was the first production car with 20" wheels. The inboard shocks [Koni in all 4 corners], 50-50 weight distribution, 4 wheel independent suspension, braking and handling are incredible...especially considering it's 22 years old. It has 9.5K miles on it. My wife has driven it to work, and really likes it. We'll be running the miles up, in good weather.

Last edited:

Psifer

Contributing member
Pipes, baby, pipes! Needs some rumble and a little side chrome to go with that motor. Great find!
I've personally never heard a V6 with an aftermarket exhaust that has sound good. I'm sure it is fun though to be pushing that motor to its limits. Some of the most fun cars are the ones with low HP.

MMissile

At the time this car was produced, the only V8 engine Chrysler had was the MAGNUM-360. It had basicly the same HP as the HO 3.5, weighed a lot more, and took up more real-estate. It would have changed the front to rear weight bias, and made the car nose heavy. The rear transaxle was also not up to the task of a bunch more torque. The Prowler was really well thought out.

As far as sound goes, side pipes sound terrible in general, and V6 and V10 are the worst. V8's and V12's sound great...IMO. This factory exhaust is not loud, but definitely doesn't sound like a LH car. It has a tuned growl. [how appropriate lol]

ORL-LLC

Now that's funny,
we were just talking about one of these on my Challenger Forum
and how they needed to make an SRT Version

MMissile

Now that's funny,
we were just talking about one of these on my Challenger Forum
and how they needed to make an SRT Version

That transaxle wouldn't last a week, if the tires hook once. They had some issues behind the 3.5.
Hennessy makes a turbo kit for those...

I already have stupid fast cars. This a well-balanced/fun to drive, car. The first one I've owned in a LONG time. Besides, any HP increases, increase the likelihood of 90's vintage technology to fail. These cars are 20-24 years old. If I was gonna build a Prowler...I'd buy and body tub and used basic body parts, and put a full tube-chassis under it for top-sportsman drag-racing. 528cid aluminum hemi, with a 14-71 blower on alcohol...Lenco, and Strange rear axle.

Last edited:

UltraFudd

I've personally never heard a V6 with an aftermarket exhaust that has sound good. I'm sure it is fun though to be pushing that motor to its limits. Some of the most fun cars are the ones with low HP.
My son had a 2014 3.7 Mustang that he put a Roush exhaust that sounded pretty good. Of course it was chipped & CAI, so he got a little more out of it. The only problem was, every winter the damn thing threw a code on the sensors in the pipe. Didn’t matter because every two years he pulled the axle back portion and put the stockers on to pass emissions. Sold it @ 110k miles. p.s.: he bought the car, I bought the stripes (paint).
14B7B697-26B3-44F1-81E7-BCDDFAA99322.jpeg

Psifer

Contributing member
My son had a 2014 3.7 Mustang that he put a Roush exhaust that sounded pretty good. Of course it was chipped & CAI, so he got a little more out of it. The only problem was, every winter the damn thing threw a code on the sensors in the pipe. Didn’t matter because every two years he pulled the axle back portion and put the stockers on to pass emissions. Sold it @ 110k miles. p.s.: he bought the car, I bought the stripes (paint).
View attachment 5348
That is a nice paint job. It's a shame that the same stripes are a $10,000 add-on for the new GT500 but that's what vinyl is for. In high school, I use to pay off a mechanic an extra $60 to trick the emissions machine into passing my car as I had a catless downpipe and full exhaust. I had a Turbo 1.4L Dodge Dart that was 160hp stock but I was able to mod and tune it to 325hp. It was a torque machine and I was hard on it. 50k miles I went through 1x Turbo, 4x hot-side intercooler piper(kept splitting from heat), 3x set of coil packs, 4x set of spark plugs, 3x sets of brakes, and 8x sets of front tires as it was FWD. What a money pit but I loved wrenching on my car and extracting as much power as I could.

I didn't learn my lesson and now have been modding my Ram Rebel all the way down to an average of 10mpg lol.

Guyanaman1963

That is a nice paint job. It's a shame that the same stripes are a $10,000 add-on for the new GT500 but that's what vinyl is for. In high school, I use to pay off a mechanic an extra $60 to trick the emissions machine into passing my car as I had a catless downpipe and full exhaust. I had a Turbo 1.4L Dodge Dart that was 160hp stock but I was able to mod and tune it to 325hp. It was a torque machine and I was hard on it. 50k miles I went through 1x Turbo, 4x hot-side intercooler piper(kept splitting from heat), 3x set of coil packs, 4x set of spark plugs, 3x sets of brakes, and 8x sets of front tires as it was FWD. What a money pit but I loved wrenching on my car and extracting as much power as I could.

I didn't learn my lesson and now have been modding my Ram Rebel all the way down to an average of 10mpg lol.
Isnt that the same for all of us? We buy guns and them trick them out as much as we can…. Way beyond what they are actually worth…. And then some.
talk about a money pit! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
M.

Psifer

Contributing member
Isnt that the same for all of us? We buy guns and them trick them out as much as we can…. Way beyond what they are actually worth…. And then some.
talk about a money pit! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
M.
Very true! We may not get our money back but at least we retain the memories and experience. If I could go back in time I wouldn't change a thing.