What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the point of dry firing?

GmanVP9

Everyone seems to be pretty heavy on dry firing, I never understood the purpose. What benefit does it give?

MMissile

It's cheap. I've never done it as a tool of some sort. I've only done it to see how nice or bad a trigger is.

AGG

Staff member
Trigger familiarity--- whether a new sidearm, or re-learning an older one. ;)

Tony

GmanVP9

Thanks--- and use snap caps. :giggle:

Tony
I have them and the Rhino? Its a gold laser/dot that Illuminates or flashes once you squeeze the trigger. Good for target practice, hopefully not bad for the pistol?

Blackwing

poor man's trigger job. After 5000 pulls, it will smooth it out a little :sneaky:
Read it somewhere when I was a a kid and tried it. I packed the action of my old double-action .22 revolver with that really granular style Coalgate toothpaste and dry fired it about 10k times. Cleaned it all out and that trigger action was smooooooth.

Guyanaman1963

Read it somewhere when I was a a kid and tried it. I packed the action of my old double-action .22 revolver with that really granular style Coalgate toothpaste and dry fired it about 10k times. Cleaned it all out and that trigger action was smooooooth.
Never realized how abrasive tooth paste and saving cream was until Basic Training. We were using it to take heel marks off the floor when the “TI” caught us and made us strip and re-wax the dorm floors!
So yeah…. I can see it smoothing out a trigger!
M.

LEMming

When trying to become proficient at something, the only way you're going to get there is putting in the reps. There's a lot of science behind it but, the simple explanation is you are going through the motions and building up "muscle memory" (more correctly called "neural memory" IMO) until that thing becomes second nature for you. Same goes with firearms and dry fire. It's effectively a "cheap" way to get reps in and start developing your competence towards the ultimate goal: subconscious competence.

When it comes to pistols, they're one of the most difficult platforms to shoot. Every little deficiency in technique can create a substantial effect on target. I once saw a new shooter with a rental Glock 17 anticipate recoil so badly that they yanked every single round low left and OFF target of a B-27 target at 3 yards! For reference, that's nearly a 2ft x 4ft target! Seeing as ammo is still so expensive, dry fire is exceedingly important these days. You don't want to be burning valuable reps on live ammo for every single trigger pull.

For some that dry practice religiously, they might put in 5-10 dry fires for every live round they plan to fire. Let's say you plan to go fire a box of 50rds on a Friday night. Maybe you might do 50 dry fires per day, including Friday, so you're getting in over a couple hundred dry fires, equating to roughly 5 per live round. Don't get too caught up on the specific numbers, it's mainly about the principle of putting in reps consistently. For some of the more competitive sport shooters, I've heard as high as 100 dry fires for every live round they plan to fire. At one point many years ago, for a very short period of time, I pushed myself to 1,000 dry fires per day! That got old real fast, but I did get some serious gains from it. I was never highly competitive for the few years I participated in IDPA, so my dry fire dropped off to ~100 per day.

Hopefully some of these numbers help start to put things in perspective. In terms of how to dry fire, I would probably recommend some sort of dummy round or snap cap that allows your firing pin to strike something that offers a bit of resistance (snap caps are the most obvious for this). Certain guns, like some models and generations of Glocks, M&Ps, and maybe a few other types of pistols have been known to suffer from cracked breech faces with high dry fire counts, over time, and without any sort of snap cap. Additionally, some other stuff to take into account:
  • Pick a room to dedicate for dry fire
  • Ensure there isn't a single live round in that room
  • Consider buying some dry fire targets (not necessary, but useful)
  • Consider buying some snap caps
Here's a few videos to get you started:

AGG

Staff member
When trying to become proficient at something, the only way you're going to get there is putting in the reps. There's a lot of science behind it but, the simple explanation is you are going through the motions and building up "muscle memory" (more correctly called "neural memory" IMO) until that thing becomes second nature for you. Same goes with firearms and dry fire. It's effectively a "cheap" way to get reps in and start developing your competence towards the ultimate goal: subconscious competence.

When it comes to pistols, they're one of the most difficult platforms to shoot. Every little deficiency in technique can create a substantial effect on target. I once saw a new shooter with a rental Glock 17 anticipate recoil so badly that they yanked every single round low left and OFF target of a B-27 target at 3 yards! For reference, that's nearly a 2ft x 4ft target! Seeing as ammo is still so expensive, dry fire is exceedingly important these days. You don't want to be burning valuable reps on live ammo for every single trigger pull.

Practice is the best of all instructors. :unsure:
Excellent recommendations. ;)

Tony