What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glock

Deputydave

I am by no means a Glock fanboy. And I've been highly critical of Glock in the past on certain aspects. Having said that, I do like the platform for what it is and what it offers.

My first Glock was a well used Gen 2 Glock 17 that I purchased used decades ago. I used that pistol to get my instructor certification back in the mid-90's. Excellent pistol and I use to actually carry it off-duty. Since then I've owned at one point or another quite a wide variety of models. These days I have a Gen 4 Glock 22 with an additional 9mm conversion barrel and three of the 19X model. Yes, three of the same model. At first I was a bit critical of the 19X. However a couple of years ago a small local hole-in-the-wall gun shop had them on sale for less than blue label. I thought about it and figured it would make a good night stand pistol since it had stock 19+1 capacity mags. So I picked on up. Liked it quite well and it's still my night stand pistol. Last year I had the chance to trade for a couple of more in deals that were in my favor. So I picked up another two. One for HD duty, again because of the 19+1 round capacity. The other one to put into my EDC rotation. Although I normally carry the P365, in the event I felt like I needed a more full sized pistol of higher capacity the 19X fills the need. And I've carried it a time or two since making that decision and it was fine as I expected. I carried it with the 17-round mag and a 19-round back up. That's 37 rounds on body which is substantial. Additionally, it goes well with my Pistol/SBR/Rifle Go-bag.

I also had a Gen 5 G19FS but I gifted that to my son. He shot it last month at an Outlaw match and he loved it so I passed it on to him and that's now what he's been carrying.

So overall, no, I don't think Glock is 'Perfection'. I think a lot of their reputation was purchased over the years with sweetheart deals to get them into L.E. holsters. I know that to be a fact. But I also give them credit for the same thing. Nothing wrong with an aggressive marketing plan. And it's worked. The last 18 or so years of my career was with a Gen 3 G21 as the issued duty sidearm. And some of the G21's in the training unit have over 300k rounds on them and counting. They get several hundred rounds added to the round count weekly. So Glock has a deserved reputation for reliability, durability and simplicity.

So that's how I feel about Glock. How about you folks?

Deputydave

Some photos and discussion on my 19X pistols in this thread if anyone is interested: 19X

AGG

Staff member
I have nothing against Glock--- per se--- one of the best throw-downs available, unless you have a Kel-Tec, Raven, or similar (just funnin'). :LOL:
Every one that I have shot has been reliable--- my problem is that it is not solid, or as accurate, as an HK (especially a USP). :)
Nice observations in your posts--- and nice sidearm, setup, and rig. ;)

Tony

Deputydave

I carry a G29 with extended mag, but I have to say shooting 10mm in a compact is not very enjoyable.

I don't doubt it. That would have a little bark and bite to it.

In regards to the 19X, there have been rumors off and on about it being discontinued. Another rumor surfaced a few months ago so I decided to call Glock directly...

I decided to go to the source and called Glock up in Georgia. Took about 30 minutes to get through so they are quite busy. So according to them, they are still being produced on the L.E. side for special orders. On the retail side, they are currently not being produced. This does not mean the 19X is completely discontinued on the retail side, but right now according to Glock, 'what is on the market currently is what is available'. No new production, at this time, for the retail market. It would seem that production is limited on the L.E. blue label side as every BL dealer in my area said they could not order the 19X at this time and they were getting whatever was sent to them.

So I'm glad I have the three that I have. Not expecting it to become a collectors item, but who knows down the road.

Guyanaman1963

I carry a G29 with extended mag, but I have to say shooting 10mm in a compact is not very enjoyable.
Like sticking your hands in a bees nest! 😂

Honestly, I think Glocks are good and dont have a problem with them. In fact, for new shooters that are not too sure about firearms, I would recommend a Glock as a great beginner firearm. They are dependable, will do the job and easy to use.
My wife has a G19C on her night table and my Daughter carries a G27... so I’m comfortable with it.
I do believe that there are a lot better out there... HK’s! For the money, quality, and aesthetics... you cannot beat it.
I myself carry a Kimber 1911 because its what I’m comfortable with and trained with.
If only I could conceal carry a Mark23... 1911’s would be retired!!!😎
M.

Grease Gunner

I can carry and use either a Sig P228R, Wilson Combat CQB 5” 1911 but I rely on my Glock Gen5 G19 as my daily carry gun. I’ve been off and on with Glock for years but I will say that out of all their pistols they have made along with all the changes-the Gen5 is perfection. It’s literally the Glock I would have made myself if I’d been in the position to do so.

Hands down, they just work. Not a super sexy pistol like a hand built 1911, but as dependable as the day is long and not breaking the bank to buy one....or its replacement should you ever need to use one in a self defense situation.

Guyanaman1963

I can carry and use either a Sig P228R, Wilson Combat CQB 5” 1911 but I rely on my Glock Gen5 G19 as my daily carry gun. I’ve been off and on with Glock for years but I will say that out of all their pistols they have made along with all the changes-the Gen5 is perfection. It’s literally the Glock I would have made myself if I’d been in the position to do so.

Hands down, they just work. Not a super sexy pistol like a hand built 1911, but as dependable as the day is long and not breaking the bank to buy one....or its replacement should you ever need to use one in a self defense situation.
how would you rate the Wilson Combat CQB against the Glock 19?
Also... pics of CQB!!!!!
Thanks,
M.