What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone still use a P9S as daily carry?

Stephen Eagles

Hi Everyone. I'm not even sure if anyone's still following the P9S on this forum, but thought I'd give it a go!

A little backstory (I'm a writer, so I give the truth scope!). Back in the mid 80's, I bought one from a gun dealer at at the Thunderbird Swap Shop in Sunrise, Florida. I wasn't really a gun enthusiast, until I saw the P9S in the case. I think I paid about 400 bucks for it. I was a rookie cop and was carrying a Colt Python wheel-gun, but this "P9S" thing? So sexy! And damn, I'll never forget how smooth and accurate it was. I did NOT get approval to carry it on duty because the PD I was at was introducing a fairly new gun called the "GLOCK". And yeah, I fell in love with that, too. Wasn't as sexy a the P9S, but damn... 17 rounds? You could go to the party and stay all day! So my dumb ass took the H&K to a local dealer and traded it "even" for a Glock. (Yeah, how dumb was that). And many years later, I'm a pretty hardcore Glock-guy... but have always wanted a P9S. Then I found one locally in San Antonio, inspected it, and it appears to look and function great. I found new polymer buffers at HK Parts, and bought 5. Bought a factory one which I'm putting in a glass frame on a wall (Yeah, for 75 bucks, it's getting framed). My gunsmith is digging out the old one as the gun's been in a safe the last 13 years. I broke it down, cleaned it up and got a custom Kydex holster for it. Been buying small parts when I can find them... in case.

So now that the story's told... anyone actually still carry theirs? I have to say, I shoot a lot, and although this gun (Not sure how to decipher the manufacture date) is "not quite" an old man, it felt like an old friend in my large hands. I felt through the cock/de-cock functions, as well as swapping mags. Breaking down. All that. (hell, I can't even remember my wife's cel#).

I dunno... I'd really like to get it shooting again and even carry it instead of my Gaston. Like my dad always said, if you don't hit them in the first shot, you shouldn't be shootin' at 'em.

Your thoughts and insights would be welcome!

Attachments

• P9S 1.JPG
    P9S 1.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 5
  • P9S 2.jpg
    P9S 2.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 5

UltraFudd

Welcome to the site, and yes, occasionally in the wintertime, I carry either my .45 or my 9mm P9S.

It is one of the most smooth shooting service pistols ever made with low recoil, a great trigger and adjustable sear engagement (on my target version).

The best part is either caliber fits in the same holster.

Lamont

Staff member
adjustable sear engagement (on my target version).

The "SG I" has this feature also, looks like a regular P9S with fixed sights but look for the screw in the trigger guard that sets depth for the trigger stop, if you see this feature the next thing you do is pop the slide to check for the adjustable sear engagement screw behind the trigger. 9/10 that's what you have when you see that trigger stop guard on a fixed site gun.

Lamont

Staff member
I have a USP CT, still need to lay hands on a full size in .45......ever since I found out that thing shoots .45 Super like it was made for it.

Brobus

Staff member
The P9s is a little big for daily carry. I might consider carrying one if I had a P9SK. Please PM me if you have a P9SK for sale.