What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cetme muzzle brake/flash hider timing?

Barn Owl Lover

I thought of this because on the FN Files forum I asked about how the FN49 and early FAL muzzle devices were timed and attached. The answer there was that FN threaded the barrels and devices so they'd time automatically upon tightening.

This got me wondering about the early Cetme brakes, since they don't seem to use shims or crush washers, and don't seem to have the HK retaining spring. Were the threads synced to auto-time, or was the Cetme brakes a radial brake?

Barn Owl Lover

That's sort of what I mean, either they don't need timed or (like FN49s) the barrel and device are threaded the same. I don't think HK flash hiders need timed because of the retainer spring, but I don't see it on early Cetme brakes.

Barn Owl Lover

Model A and B series Cetme rifles is how far back I'm looking at.

Blackwing

I've looked at hundreds of pictures and have 4 different B barrels/stubs and they all time the same FH a little differently. I guess the radial holes overpower the need for having the slots in a specific place. The run of early G3/ Cetme B hiders I made all time the same to the fixture I made but there is no guarantee what or who time-threaded the individual barrels to.

Well I'm going to have to do some research! Timing a flash hider I never heard of I admit.
I joined the club (lets call it that) to find out more about a Spanish CETME modelo C that I bought recently in France, I will do another post on the details as its complicated, and we're on topic of flash hiders.
Recently I have learnt that the standard flash hider is also a grenade launcher for the standard NATO rifle grenade, with no modification needed, I don't happen to have any of those so I can't be sure but if I can find a dummy, practice grenade I'll be sure to buy it.

AGG

Staff member
Well I'm going to have to do some research! Timing a flash hider I never heard of I admit.
I joined the club (lets call it that) to find out more about a Spanish CETME modelo C that I bought recently in France, I will do another post on the details as its complicated, and we're on topic of flash hiders.
Recently I have learnt that the standard flash hider is also a grenade launcher for the standard NATO rifle grenade, with no modification needed, I don't happen to have any of those so I can't be sure but if I can find a dummy, practice grenade I'll be sure to buy it.

Welcome to the site. :)
Pictures of a real Modelo C would be great. ;)

Tony

Guyanaman1963

Welcome to the site!!!!