What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cetme short barrel ?

86thecat

Never mind, probably not the place to ask build questions.

Last edited:

86thecat

Seems like more of a "look at the cool stuff I built" spot.
Really miss the old Military Firearm site.
BTW, did you ever figure anything out with the "NATO Match Chamber" barrel? Really disappointing performance and bad customer service from manufacturer of a pricey barrel.

Last edited:

Holescreek

Well I figure that even if it's just us two talking about building we'll do alright. That RCM barrel is still sitting in a cabinet along side a bunch of extra barrels I've picked up over the years. I thought about trying to sell it but just can't bring myself to pass that piece of crap on to someone else, at least not someone that wanted to be able to hit an 8" pie plate at 100 yards.

Back to your topic, how short do you want to go? I have a Cetme pistol with a 10.5" barrel.

86thecat

Have a 12-1/2 barrel. Was wondering if an early type (lighter) bolt carrier would cycle better than a new type bcg. Could use my last G3 bcg, but have been saving that for a ss receiver and a Wilson barrel purchased half a lifetime ago. Was interested in one of the barrels like your dud, but not willing to risk a problem like you had.
How do you like the 10-1/2 pistol? Seems like that would be the sweet spot, wouldn't have to cut the charging groove into the receiver and should pick up velocity over an 8-3/8. Surprised PTR never built them.

Last edited:

Holescreek

I can't remember off the top of my head what LP angle I ended up using, somewhere around 54 or 56 degrees. I cut the receiver top back 1 1/4" and cut the same amount out of the carrier tube. I also had to remove some material from the bottom of the C-tube to clear the trunnion.
2v2eJtoYgxAjwmD.jpg

Elkaholic

BTW, did you ever figure anything out with the "NATO Match Chamber" barrel? Really disappointing performance and bad customer service from manufacturer of a pricey barrel.
I'd chime in but I honestly don't know much about cetme's. I know there similar to HK's. From reading in the past I do believe barrels and trunions can be shared between the 2. I don't think the the BCG parts can be interchanged with each other. Like Cetme carrier and HK bolt head. I very much encourage you to build one. I just cant offer up much help. I have learned a ton reading Holescreek's stuff on the internet. He's here talking, he's the man to listen to :love: please take pictures and make post about the build.

Elkaholic

I can't remember off the top of my head what LP angle I ended up using, somewhere around 54 or 56 degrees. I cut the receiver top back 1 1/4" and cut the same amount out of the carrier tube. I also had to remove some material from the bottom of the C-tube to clear the trunnion.
2v2eJtoYgxAjwmD.jpg
Did you machine your own angel of locking piece? Beautiful build

86thecat

Seeing what it took to build the 10-1/2 makes me inclined to stick with a g3 bcg and a 50 deg locking piece for my 12-1/2 inch barrel, instead of trying as a cetme.
Will pick up a 16 or 18 inch barrel to go with my cetme parts.
Like the way you trimmed the receiver back on your build.
Thanks for the help.

Elkaholic

I've done super short stupid stuff. They are host gun toys

Attachments

• DBB8A2FA-F38F-47F7-B453-BE5DF6A72E02.jpeg
    DBB8A2FA-F38F-47F7-B453-BE5DF6A72E02.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 4

Holescreek

Did you machine your own angel of locking piece? Beautiful build

There are a couple reasons Cetme's aren't as popular as they should be. The first reason is the bad reputation resulting from CAI contracting the lowest bidders to build their guns. Setting that aside, the second reason is that there is no aftermarket support for replacement parts. The days of buying NOS replacement parts are long gone and vendors won't make anything for a Cetme that can't also be used in an HK platform rifle. I like experimenting with the platform and the only way to achieve that is to make everything myself. I turn and chamber flute my own barrels and make my locking pieces as needed. Here's a pic of some early ones in different variations/calibers.
2v2JdsPFvxAjwmD.jpg

Elkaholic

I 120% respect you and what you've done for the building community. Ive seen some pictures of your shop. my drill press is also my lathe :ROFLMAO: I do have a buddy that is a machinist, i can take little projects to him. i just cant spend hours there fiddling with stuff. everything you said is why I've stayed away from Cetme's

Care to tell me about the bullpup? I truly do love building things and could see myself going that

Last edited by a moderator:

ENDER

Staff member
We already have a ‘look at my cool stuff I built section’; it’s called the Members Gallery. We intended this section to be a sub forum for build help, project updates, helpful hints and resources.

Post away and welcome!

Holescreek

I 120% respect you and what you've done for the building community. Ive seen some pictures of your shop. my drill press is also my lathe :ROFLMAO: I do have a buddy that is a machinist, i can take little projects to him. i just cant spend hours there fiddling with stuff. everything you said is why I've stayed away from Cetme's

Care to tell me about the bullpup? I truly do love building things and could see myself going that

The bullpup was completely unplanned. Every now and again when I got bored I'd go out in the shop and go through parts boxes to see if I had enough extra parts to build something new. I don't build the same thing twice because there's no fun in it and I don't learn anything from it. I laid the parts out on my bench and just happened to put the lower housing in front of the mag under the hand guard. Then the fun began. I needed to figure out a trigger linkage and after several tries and some cad work came up with a system with several toggles that gave an extremely nice trigger pull. The front housing is fabricated to appear like an original Cetme lower, everything inside is home made. The front housing is attached to the receiver below the trunnion. Then I got to play around with stock options etc. It's fun to shoot though it's a bit heavy in the rear for a bullpup. I run a 37 degree LP in it all the time.

AGG

Staff member
Never mind, probably not the place to ask build questions.

This is the exact place to ask such questions. 😀
We just don't want members without a Paid Membership trying to "sell" items in the guise of questions--- it would be unfair to paid members. ;)

Tony