What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY SBR C93

Vinz Klortho

So many acronyms. so little time.

I set right to work yesterday after getting my approval. I had read about WECSOGing a barrel shortening job by using progressively smaller dies and removing the thread between passes.
I did this once years ago to a Century FAL and it worked perfectly.
I would never do this to a nice rifle but had no qualms whatsoever about cutting up another CAI.
My C93 has a plain triple frame and the barrel had that section with the increased diameter.
I cut the barrel off there, squared off the end, gave the muzzle a little chamfer, and ran 18, 17, 16, and finally 15 x 1mm dies over that area. I had to shorten the muzzle brake by .090".
I dont have a lathe so I chucked up the muzzle brake in a drill with a large bolt thru the center. I turned the MB and held a die grinder with a sanding disc to the target area.
The end result is true within less than .010".
I am so uncouth, but I have a good time.

cumb.jpg

case.jpg

Last edited:

Vinz Klortho

I had a plastic slim handguard in my stash that someone had opened the slots in.
I think I paid ten bucks for it. I shortened it too. I cut it on my table saw and used CA (superglue) to join the pieces.
I have a nice one coming from MKE, I just wanted to try this. It looks good from ten feet away!

plhg.jpg

Mpddoug162

That is a very nice looking set up you have. With all that you’ve done to it, I hope it runs like a sewing machine.

ENDER

Staff member
I have always been partial to the slim handguards. Better lines. Nice work.

On occasion my mother would tell me I was being uncouth when I was a teen. So this thread is a little 'triggering' for me. 🤬 🤣

Vinz Klortho

Thanks for the kind words.
Went to the range yesterday, I'm please to report that it ran great. Accurate too.
I didn't think there would be any problems. I found a chart online that said the 33s used the same LP as the full length rifles.
There's a place ten minutes from my house that does SBR engraving, I have an appointment at 10:00am.

I'm hoping the warm weather holds out a little longer. When Elkaholic's parts arrive I'm going to repaint everything.
I've used Gunkote several times but trying to decide if I want to try something different. Duracoat?
Anyone know if there are any gun finishes that are true, two part paints with color and catalyst?

ETA: A cowrker just called and asked if I wanted to go shootin' today? Dont have to twist my arm ;)

Last edited:

Vinz Klortho

It was cloudy and gray yesterday. but today was a beautiful day at the range.
I brought the K, C93, FAL, and the Hawken.
Two range trips in a week, that's some kinda record.
Hey! That reminds me of my ex-wife; Twice in one month darling, aren't I lucky.

RD1.jpgRD2.jpgRD3.jpg

223 is so nice to shoot compared to the 30cal.
There was a guy a couple spots over shooting a falling block in 45-90.
I'd never heard of that round. 45-70 yes.
His powder was nice and smokey. 405grain bullet, he said the recoil was pretty rough.

Guess which holes were made by the CVA.

targ.jpg

I started on a home-made target untill everything was acceptable. That's a hundred yards, I'm tickled that I hit the paper with the Hawken. I dont usually.

Grease Gunner

Look up the 45-120....I used to have a sharps in that caliber....the raw case was
3 1/4 OAL before loading lol

I have a C93 that shoots very well as a full length rifle but I’ve been thinking about cutting it down, this makes me consider it even more. The one nice thing for me is I now have the equipment to engrave in my home shop.

AGG

Staff member
Beautiful day--- beautiful rifles. ;)
They are wonderful, and give it to you every day. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tony

Vinz Klortho

I'm going to buy another next year and leave it alone. The only reason I cut this one was because the short triple frame made it so easy.