What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK 53 with #7 LP?

HK53King

Not to beat a dead horse... yes know about the two charts on this topic... but what kind of ammo do you guys run with IF you use a HK #7 locking piece in your HK 53?
We know #15 LP for 55gr/193 and #3 LP for 62gr/855 ammo. Again, what of the #7 LP?
Please only folks with hands on experience. Thanks!

AGG

Staff member
Not speaking from experience, but I would think that it would be somewhat dependent on barrel twist (1:7 62 grain, 1:12 55 grain). ;)
Not knowing your twist rate, but will a bullet even stabilize with a shortened 1:12 barrel? :unsure:

Tony

Last edited:

kbinmt

Hottest ammo you have to make up for less back pressure. 15 is angled to open faster for shortened barrel. A 7 is for a 16" barrel. With a can it would likely work.

It is going to take longer to open than a 3 so at the least expect weaker ejection.

HK53King

Not speaking from experience, but I would think that it would be somewhat dependent on barrel twist (1:7 62 grain, 1:12 55 grain). ;)
Not knowing your twist rate, but will a bullet even stabilize with a shortened 1:12 barrel? :unsure:

Tony
Right you are, it's a 1:7 so it's suppose to be good for 62gr, indeed only 8.3" bbl. Idk if fancier 62gr+ ammo okay, it's never meant to be a "battle rifle"/sniper rifle of course lol! Thanks for your always thoughtful feedback Tony!

HK53King

Hottest ammo you have to make up for less back pressure. 15 is angled to open faster for shortened barrel. A 7 is for a 16" barrel. With a can it would likely work.

It is going to take longer to open than a 3 so at the least expect weaker ejection.
Got it, appreciate your post and sharing knowledge Sir!

AGG

Staff member
Right you are, it's a 1:7 so it's suppose to be good for 62gr, indeed only 8.3" bbl. Idk if fancier 62gr+ ammo okay, it's never meant to be a "battle rifle"/sniper rifle of course lol! Thanks for your always thoughtful feedback Tony!

You're quite welcome--- apologies for not being more definitive. :)

Tony

flybynt

Not to beat a dead horse... yes know about the two charts on this topic... but what kind of ammo do you guys run with IF you use a HK #7 locking piece in your HK 53?
We know #15 LP for 55gr/193 and #3 LP for 62gr/855 ammo. Again, what of the #7 LP?
Please only folks with hands on experience. Thanks!
barrel twist rates for the same barrel length have no effect on pressure. lp angle for ammo type is optimized based on barrel length for the loading and bullet weight. The 7 lp in a 53 in my experience will typically give slower rof in fa and overall weaker function and ejection but make the gun live longer due to decreased bolt energy and velocity (a good thing imho). if your gun runs reliably with the 7 lp and has acceptable rof with your ammo choice then by all means use it. Also as @kbinmt stated you both need and want more dwell time for supressor use in a 53 due to the short barrel.

Because there is such a wide range of loadings in 556 the 7 and 3 lp can be hit or miss for std ball which is really why the #15 is prefered. most guys want thier bullet hose to go bang every time no matter how dirty or what ammo they are using when thier lives depend on it vs the longevity of the gun, and who shoots 62 gr ammo out of a 53? i mean if you had to im sure you could use a 7 lp cuz its probably a hot loading combined with a heavy bullet.

Last edited:

HK53King

Awesome, thank you very much Sir, that is exactly the type of insightful knowledge was seeking to learn more of this topic. The three main listed LPs of #3, #7, #15 vs. type of ammo for the HK 53 (w/ 1:7 twist.)
I'm loving my FA Galil .308 even more = no locking pieces to be concerned about ha ha! - I know it's like apples to oranges between the two different mechanized actions. Like... O wait... I have change my LP because I'm shooting a bit different ammo now.

Some folks think the very short bbl of 8.3" on the HK 53 is not a good/ideal suppressor host? Idk if I will seek to suppress it? What say the Experts/HK Lovers ;-) ?
Thanks again for this outstanding HK platform!

HK53King

Again, much appreciated and You Guys Rock!
I enjoy learning more and more about the intricacies of the HK 53!

HK53King

- Tony the Tiger, Tony the Legend!

HK53King

It's been quite awhile... so many more low back pressure cans out now Shot Show 2024! Anyone have any late updates/experiences with suppressing the HK53? Yes I did nothing yet still to mine :-( But want too! Thanks!