What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does the VP9 trigger safety work?

GmanVP9

Since the VP9 sits in the cocked position, what would stop the spring from giving way and causing an accidental dischange?

RetropM

Like just about every modern handgun out there, there is a firing pin block/safety in the slide that prevents the firing pin from moving forward unless the trigger is pulled. Other popular striker-fired guns that use a similar pre-cocked striker system are the Springfield XD, S&W M&P, SIG P320, Walther PPQ, and the new Walther PDP.

The trigger safety is only there to help prevent the trigger from moving completely to the rear (thus disengaging the firing pin block and discharging the pistol) should anything but a direct trigger press occur.

Last edited:

GmanVP9

I noticed that the safety block sits to the side though. If that piece broke, wouldn't it bypass the block?

RetropM

I noticed that the safety block sits to the side though. If that piece broke, wouldn't it bypass the block?
Just about any gun safety will fail if it breaks, so what's your point? By all accounts, if properly maintained and in working order, the VP9 is an exceptionally safe and reliable pistol.

And for the record, I have yet to see a documented part failure of the VP9 firing pin safety and there are many folks who have tens of thousands of rounds through theirs.

GmanVP9

Just about any gun safety will fail if it breaks, so what's your point? By all accounts, if properly maintained and in working order, the VP9 is an exceptionally safe and reliable pistol.

And for the record, I have yet to see a documented part failure of the VP9 firing pin safety and there are many folks who have tens of thousands of rounds through theirs.
What I mean is, on lets say Glock, the safety block is in the direct path of the striker, where the VP is off to the side. I actually have a thread on here...but this is where I got it from. But I 100% admit Im not the best to ask for this stuff.