What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would a timed muzzle brake fit on current production HK rifles?

Barn Owl Lover

I've read that most HK muzzle devices are supposed to bottom out against the muzzle and the barrels don't have a conventional shoulder. Is there a good way to install a timed muzzle device on a HK (like a 416 or 417 type rifle) without a crush washer or such?

Brad4065

I've read that most HK muzzle devices are supposed to bottom out against the muzzle and the barrels don't have a conventional shoulder. Is there a good way to install a timed muzzle device on a HK (like a 416 or 417 type rifle) without a crush washer or such?
All of mine have washers.....good question though, but I don't "think" it can be done....yet.

larryccf

Contributing member
if the barrel threads are not timed as well, it doesn't make a difference. Somewhere on the web are the instructions i posted on changing SIG 550/551 barrels - their threads are timed as well as the threads in the trunnion. Net effect is when installing a barrel (new or the old one) you would screw the barrel in till it's hand tight, then with a straight edge on the base of the front sight / gas block mount (new barrels come with the barrel already drilled for the gas block port and the mounting pin), and a similar straight edge on the male dovetail boss at the front of the receiver, you turn the barrel in until the rear straight edge blocks all view of the front straight edge. I had a swiss army armourer demo that for me, and when he was thru i asked "are you going to use a headspace gauge ? His response, "NO! SIG wants 1200 francs for that gauge - they are crazy". And he was right, i'd already explored buying that gauge, and all it was was a single blade dog leg feeler gauge. I really think it was a misprint in the parts manual. maybe 12 francs should have been the price

PS - just found the picture tutorial on the SIG 550/551 barrel changeout - it is pretty interesting, but as this is the HK Talk section, i just found the "non-HK" section and will be posting it there. Give me about 30 minutes as there a lot of photos and i'm slow as molasses

posted https://www.hkproshop.com/forums/threads/sig-550-551-barrel-changeout-procedure.2069/

Last edited:

AGG

Staff member
if the barrel threads are not timed as well, it doesn't make a difference. Somewhere on the web are the instructions i posted on changing SIG 550/551 barrels - their threads are timed as well as the threads in the trunnion. Net effect is when installing a barrel (new or the old one) you would screw the barrel in till it's hand tight, then with a straight edge on the base of the front sight / gas block mount (new barrels come with the barrel already drilled for the gas block port and the mounting pin), and a similar straight edge on the dovetail at the front of the receiver, you turn the barrel in until the rear straight blocks all view of the front straight edge. I had a swiss army armourer demo that for me, and when he was thru i asked "are you going to use a headspace gauge ? His response, "NO! SIG wants 1200 francs for that gauge - they are crazy". And he was right, i'd already explored buying that gauge, and all it was was a single blade dog leg feeler gauge. I really think it was a misprint in parts manual. maybe 12 francs should have been the price

PS - just found the picture tutorial on the SIG 550/551 barrel changeout - it is pretty interesting, but as this is the HK Talk section, i just found the "non-HK" section and will be posting it there. Give me about 30 minutes as there a lot of photos and i'm slow as molasses

posted hhttps://www.hkproshop.com/forums/threads/sig-550-551-barrel-changeout-procedure.2069/

Excellent information. ;)

Tony