What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interestingly marked MP5

OnyxSkyDV

So I recently picked up a MP5 parts gun to use for a build, and as I dug into it I noticed it was marked somewhat interestingly.
IMG_9320.jpg

The bolt head is marked with a London proof mark, a crown with GP underneath. also with a date code of IS271. The bolt carrier is marked IS, and the same London proof mark is repeated on the front left of the receiver near the tack welds, inline with the rails. NP is marked over a B6 also next to the proof mark.

The barrel is marked with the London proof mark of the arm holding a sword, and NP (Nitroproof.), and a K504.

The left hand side of the mag well is marked Cal 9x19mm (not Kal) and the right hand side is blank.

The top is marked HK MP5, but of course the SN is cut off, so I can't get any leads on that.

Doing some research this may be one of the MP5's that HK build, but sent to Enfield/RSAF/BAE to assemble, though its hard to pinpoint the timeframe as I have a difficult time coming up with a date for that IS271 datecode.
(Maybe related to this? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...apons-to-east-germany-arms-deals-1429337.html )

Thought it was interesting never the less and though you might too. Someone might even have some insight for me.

Current plans are sending it to visit Ralph next week for a beauty treatment. :)

IMG_9342.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg
IMG_9346.jpg
IMG_9357.jpg
IMG_9343.jpg
IMG_9344.jpg
IMG_9358.jpg

Last edited:

AGG

Staff member
Interesting kit--- IS = 1995--- these are the various date codes for 1993-2001 (different than the "usual" numbering system):

IR/ir-93; IE/ie-94; IS/is-95; IK/ik-96; IO/io-97; ID/id-98; II/ii-99; OR/or-00; NP/np-01

Tony

OnyxSkyDV

Thanks Tony, I think you are the only person I've seen who even lists those date codes. (Found them in one other post of your's previously).

Does anyone know what years BAE was potentially assembling MP5's? The lack of markings on the right side mag well makes me wonder if it was a deliberate omission of the origin of the firearm. :)

Cheers!

Onyx

AGG

Staff member
Thanks Tony, I think you are the only person I've seen who even lists those date codes. (Found them in one other post of your's previously).

Does anyone know what years BAE was potentially assembling MP5's? The lack of markings on the right side mag well makes me wonder if it was a deliberate omission of the origin of the firearm. :)

Cheers!

Onyx

Ask and ye shall receive: 🤣

HK the firing line/HK NEWSLETTER Summer 1991

- The purchase of HK, Inc., by Royal Ordnance was finalized in early Spring; Heckler & Koch, Inc. USA will continue to operate in the U.S. market under the HK name; HK GmbH, parent company of HK, Inc. USA, fell into financial difficulties last year as a result of a general turndown in defense spending worldwide; the reunification of Germany, as well as the reduction in tensions with the Soviet Union, influence the German government to postpone procurement of the HK G-11 caseless rifle system; HK’s (Germany) long-term business plan was premised on the German military fielding the G-11 rifle in 1991; although the G-11 passed muster with the German military after a series of exhaustive tests, it appears to be the victim of post-Cold War political and financial
realities in the reunited nation

HK the firing line/HK NEWSLETTER Fall 1992

- Royal Ordnance, a subsidiary of British Aerospace Defence Limited, acquired HK, Inc. in 03-1991; on 05-01-92, Peter McLoughlin (President of Royal Ordnance, Inc. the U.S. defense division of British Aerospace Defence Limited) was named Chairman and Chief Executive at HK, Inc., and Steve Otway (HK Vice-President of Commercial and Law Enforcement Sales) was named President and General manager at HK, Inc.; Roger Troup succeeds Steve Otway in the newly-created position of Director of Commercial and Law Enforcement Sales; Randy Hoerauf remains as Vice-President of Finance, and John Meloy remains as Vice-President of Federal Operations; Dr. Florian Deltgen, President of HK, Inc., since 1984, elected to leave HK, Inc.

BADL- BAE Systems/HK (1991-2002)

- BADL merged with Marconi Electric Systems (1999), forming BAE Systems
- BAE Systems sells HK to private investors, forming the holding company, HK Beteiligungs GmbH

HKJS (2003-2005)

- HKB restructured as Heckler & Koch Jagd Und Sportwaffen GmbH (2003)
- separated into two businesses (Defense & Law Enforcement Division/Sporting Firearms Division).

Tony

Last edited:

OnyxSkyDV

Well, its been a while in the making, but I got a chance to pick it up from Ralph, and I have to say it came out nice.

photo_2022-03-31_14-05-18.jpg

Just for fun I picked up some Cetme wood furniture, and a G3 rear stock. Removed the metal rear cap from the G3, and modified that to fit the back of the MP5. After a fair bit of hand finishing and some custom hardware to make it all fit, plus working on the front grip, I was able to refinish the wood for a retro look to the gun.

photo_2022-03-31_10-29-42.jpg

Was able to add a SD also, so now its a K, MP5-n, and SD. :)

photo_2022-03-31_14-21-04.jpg

AGG

Staff member
Well, its been a while in the making, but I got a chance to pick it up from Ralph, and I have to say it came out nice.

Just for fun I picked up some Cetme wood furniture, and a G3 rear stock. Removed the metal rear cap from the G3, and modified that to fit the back of the MP5. After a fair bit of hand finishing and some custom hardware to make it all fit, plus working on the front grip, I was able to refinish the wood for a retro look to the gun.

Was able to add a SD also, so now its a K, MP5-n, and SD. :)

An excellent trio--- I like the wood furniture. ;)

Tony