What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is the LEM trigger too light for EDC?

GmanVP9

I know probably noob question, but Im looking at P30 with an LEM trigger. I know the first pull is sort of long, but with a pretty soft break and a very short reset. Just curious if anyone is using the P30 LEM as an EDC?

Thanks, sorry for such a amateur question.

LEMming

I carry a P30 LEM, I think going on ~3yrs now. I sometimes carry a P2000, but I find I keep coming back to the P30 for several reasons. Mine currently has the 4.1ch kit (part numbers in the LEM reference), medium weight trigger return spring (#234773), GGI flat trigger, and a GGI SRS. It's my favorite combo so far. IIRC, mine measured at a 5.0# pull. Standard V1 light LEM is more like a 4.5# pull. Not excessively light, which I like to see for a carry gun. In particular, I find the medium weight TRS to be a fantastic balance for the P30. For my preferences, I don't like the standard V1 light configuration as much due to the lighter return spring, as it also results in a lazy reset.

The nice thing about LEM is the length of pull for the first shot. It gives you time for more feedback during the trigger pull, and potentially a bit more margin for error to determine whether you should really be taking that shot or not. The length of pull is not a significant detriment to shooting fast, especially given some of the lighter LEM configurations.

For carry, I use a JMCK AIWB 2.5. Since the P30 is just a bit larger than say a P2000, having a holster that rotates the grip inward (in this case because of the wing claw) helps immensely with concealment.

IMG_20200713_075902_tn.jpg

GmanVP9

Thanks! I was more worried of something getting stuck on the trigger when holstering etc.

LEMming

That's the nice thing about hammer-fired pistols, and especially bobbed hammer pistols like the LEM models. When you go to holster, just pin your gun hand thumb on the back of the hammer. Holster slowly, deliberately, and look at the holster when re-holstering (every time you have the time and opportunity to do so) to be absolutely sure things are safe. If clothing or something works its way into the trigger guard upon holstering, you will feel the hammer start to move but be able to solidly resist it with your thumb enough to stop what you're doing, pull the gun back up and out, and fix the situation before finishing re-holstering.

Deputydave

I know probably noob question, but Im looking at P30 with an LEM trigger. I know the first pull is sort of long, but with a pretty soft break and a very short reset. Just curious if anyone is using the P30 LEM as an EDC?

Thanks, sorry for such a amateur question.

Not an amateur question at all. I had a P30sk with the LEM trigger that I carried off-duty for a while. Very nice trigger, but yes, it is very light. I would give the same advice as I do with a striker-fired pistol that doesn't have a manual safety...be anal about safely handling it to include holstering. In fact, with striker-fired pistols, particularly those carried IWB and/or AIWB I recommend taking the holster off, holstering the pistol and then placing the holster back on the body. Holstering is where a LOT of AD/ND occur so it makes sense to take safety to the next level in this regards.

GmanVP9

Not an amateur question at all. I had a P30sk with the LEM trigger that I carried off-duty for a while. Very nice trigger, but yes, it is very light. I would give the same advice as I do with a striker-fired pistol that doesn't have a manual safety...be anal about safely handling it to include holstering. In fact, with striker-fired pistols, particularly those carried IWB and/or AIWB I recommend taking the holster off, holstering the pistol and then placing the holster back on the body. Holstering is where a LOT of AD/ND occur so it makes sense to take safety to the next level in this regards.
Thanks! Im more of a 3 O'clock guy

GmanVP9

That's the nice thing about hammer-fired pistols, and especially bobbed hammer pistols like the LEM models. When you go to holster, just pin your gun hand thumb on the back of the hammer. Holster slowly, deliberately, and look at the holster when re-holstering (every time you have the time and opportunity to do so) to be absolutely sure things are safe. If clothing or something works its way into the trigger guard upon holstering, you will feel the hammer start to move but be able to solidly resist it with your thumb enough to stop what you're doing, pull the gun back up and out, and fix the situation before finishing re-holstering.
Thanks! Thats what I do with my PPS as well