What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need opinions on cutting a collectible

UltraFudd

So, I purchased an 8” 9mm “Hunter” barrel recently. It’s a legit HK polygonal barrel marked 9mm with German proofs. Great condition, in a trunion, but not unfired.
My plan was to have it cut, threaded to 1/2x28 and crowned for use on my P9S target with either a direct thread or the Griffin Cam-Lok mounting system on a DeadAir Odessa-9.

With the narrow 1.1” diameter of the Odessa-9, the adjustable sights see above the can, so, pretty much an ideal host.

THIS IS NOT A WTS AD!!! Please don’t send a bunch of PMs or posts offering to buy it. Maybe later - depending on the replies I get.

So, my questions are:

1. How rare is this barrel?

2. Will the gods of HK come to burn my house down and sell my kids into bondage if I cut it? I don’t want to see pickets with signs pleading: “Don’t cut off UltraFudd’s 8 incher”.

3. Is there any difference in performance between a standard land & groove barrel and a HK polygonal barrel in accuracy when used as a host?

4. Given the choice between a): a cut, thread & crown or b): fabricating a barrel extension onto another 4” barrel, which one do you choose & why?

5. What am I missing? Any other options?

I’d have to source another barrel if I saved the 8”. They’re available, either on GB when they pop, or retail+ @HKP for $900. Any other reliable sources?
I’m not sure the hassle or price out there is worth the squeeze, and I’ve been leaning toward cutting it, but want to think it through, given that I probably won’t lose if I sell it.
Think twice, cut once.

I’ve been talking with a shop that could do either a or b, but I can tell that there’s a desire to save that barrel.
I’d feel more attached to it if it was 10” and I keep hearing that country song about “the big 10 inch”, but all I got is eight! 😎

bauerdb

Contributing member
I know someone that cut multiple 23E barrels. Those are around $6K each these days. Do whatever makes you happy. I believe the factory HK thread was 1/2x32? My only suggestion would be to do that thread.