What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

slide for optic?

GmanVP9

Im looking to throw an optic on my VP9. What are my options here? Im looking for the most reliable as its my EDC.

GuntherRommel

I like the Docter/Noblex sight 3 but that is my preference, their dot is tiny and precise , trijicons are great but larger dot and not made in Germany

GmanVP9

I like the Docter/Noblex sight 3 but that is my preference, their dot is tiny and precise , trijicons are great but larger dot and not made in Germany
Are they reliable (slide etc) Im not looking to compromise reliability for a optic.

GmanVP9

Perfect! Ill look into them, thanks!

do you have a link?

GmanVP9

No worries. Any other options out there? Is the optic ready slide from HK my best bet as far as reliability? (If its ever back in stock!?)

LEMming

The factory optics ready slide is the way to go. HK has made those plentiful on the market and for a fair price. Check Gunbroker and you'll find them as cheap as the low $300's.

If it was me, I'd go with an Aimpoint ACRO adapter plate and an ACRO red dot. The P-1 is the current model, and their new P-2 is supposed to be on the market within a few months. They're extremely rugged, closed emitter, more robust mounting system than most others, and the battery can be changed externally. All of those features eliminate most of the problems with other red dots.

As an alternative, the Holosun 509T is a solid choice.

Mounting Systems
Some of the common, quality, and rugged pistol RDS on the market include the Trijicon RMR, Holosun 407/507/508T series, and that's about it if we're talking about a serious use gun. There are many others, but the RMR and Holosuns have established themselves as the best of those open emitter types in terms of durability and reliability.

All of the above require threaded holes in the slide or adapter plate to screw the RDS in to. Those RDS models also feature divots in 2 or 4 places on their undersides for fitting on to recoil lugs in the slide or adapter plate. The difficulty with this sort of system is that fitment of the sight to the plate or slide is critical otherwise you have extreme sheer load on the mounting screws since they are perpendicular to the recoil. It's not uncommon for screws to snap, especially if torqued improperly, and then you get a RDS flying towards your face!

Contrast that with the ACRO or Holosun 509T's mounting system of a railed adapter plate a bit like a shrunken weaver rail. Either of these 2 RDS have a cross bolt that fits across a groove in the plate as well as angled "teeth" that grip the plate when tightened. Just like any other rail-mounted RDS for say a carbine.

Emitter Type
Closed vs. open, not much to say. Closed emitters (ACRO and Holosun 509T) are not exposed to the elements. Open emitters (RMR and Holosun 407/507/508) can be blocked by debris, lint, condensation, etc. and affect the visibility of the dot.

Housing Size
Despite all of the jokes about the ACRO and the insistence by some that they're excessively large, they really aren't that big. They're roughly the size of an RMR in terms of overall length and width. It's just that the ACRO is rectangular whereas the RMR is L-shaped. If the size ends up being a deal breaker for some, the Holosun 509T is a suitable alternative in terms of durability and reliability, and it is a decent amount shorter in length.

DSC_0105_tn.jpg

DSC_0106_tn.jpg

GmanVP9

You're the man! I just found a slide in stock at optics planet with a little discount code so Im gonna go that route.

SHIF

I really like my Holosun HE507C-GR-X2 reflex optic on my VP9. The green color is super easy to see, and the circle + dot reticle yields fast target acquisition. Same mounting footprint as the Trijicon RMR so uses the HK plate #2 if you're slide has the factory made cut.

Holosun HE507C

GmanVP9

I really like my Holosun HE507C-GR-X2 reflex optic on my VP9. The green color is super easy to see, and the circle + dot reticle is fast for target acquisition. Same the mounting footprint as the Trijicon RMR so uses the HK plate #2 if you're slide has the factory made cut.

Holosun HE507C
How is the durability of the Holosun? Its an EDC so I know the RMR can handle it, but ive heard nothing but good from the Holosun

SHIF

Has a high quality aluminum housing. Mine isn't for EDC but has several thousand rounds worth of recoil forces and has never failed. And it holds zero too.

LEMming

How is the durability of the Holosun? Its an EDC so I know the RMR can handle it, but ive heard nothing but good from the Holosun
They've proven themselves well and certainly have several features over the RMR. You can't go wrong with one of those. They're quite a bit less expensive as well.