What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unissued 1944 Remington 03-A3

Nehalem Man

My WW2 collection gained another rifle a couple weeks ago. This one popped up on a local gun board from a guy selling off a portion of his U.S. service rifles. I didn't get to examine the rifle in person, but the price was right and judging on the photos the seller sent me it looked really good. So, I sent off some funds and had it shipped to fellow forum member ORL-LLC's shop.

This rifle was built in the final days of 03-A3 production before the contract was canceled at the end of February 1944. By this point in the war, the combined production by Springfield and Winchester was producing a new M1 Garand every 27 seconds, so the older bolt action rifles were simply not needed at that time. Most of the late production rifles were simply crated up and sent to the Ogden Arsenal where they didn't see the light of day until later being sold off thru the DCM program. This rifle went to Ogden, as evidenced by the "OG" stamp on the stock but received no further modification. It is in unissued condition.

-E-

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
B.jpg
D.jpg
E.jpg
K.jpg

Lamont

Staff member
A lot of the 03-A3 in this condition have the same provenance/general history as yours. I owned one for a while.

Nehalem Man

A lot of the 03-A3 in this condition have the same provenance/general history as yours. I owned one for a while.

Yes, correct. I have found a half dozen other examples posted on the Internet. All had the "OG" stamp in common and correct Parkerized/blued parts. All had late '43 barrels. Bruce Canfield also wrote about how many of the late built rifles were shipped straight off to Ogden.

-E-