What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USP 45 and 45 Super

Deputydave

When looking to get back into 45acp I had originally thought about getting a Glock 21. Not because I'm a huge Glock fan, their fine, but because it had been my duty weapon for nearly two decades so I had a lot of familiarity with it. And I was also interested in possible conversion to 10mm as an optional caliber for the platform

A deal for a USP 45 came up that was just too good to pass so I jumped on it. USP 45 in excellent shape with night sights and 7 mags for $775. So I got the HK and have been well pleased with it. Just a tank. So it's my understanding from reading various articles and seeing various videos that the USP 45 is capable of shooting 45 Super, at least on a limited basis, right out of the box. So with that in mind I decided that overall for my purposes, 45 Super is just as good as 10mm.

I don't really 'need' to shoot 45 Super but it's nice to know I can.

Does anyone else shoot or have shot 45 Super out of their USP 45?

AGG

Staff member
When looking to get back into 45acp I had originally thought about getting a Glock 21. Not because I'm a huge Glock fan, their fine, but because it had been my duty weapon for nearly two decades so I had a lot of familiarity with it. And I was also interested in possible conversion to 10mm as an optional caliber for the platform

A deal for a USP 45 came up that was just too good to pass so I jumped on it. USP 45 in excellent shape with night sights and 7 mags for $775. So I got the HK and have been well pleased with it. Just a tank. So it's my understanding from reading various articles and seeing various videos that the USP 45 is capable of shooting 45 Super, at least on a limited basis, right out of the box. So with that in mind I decided that overall for my purposes, 45 Super is just as good as 10mm.

I don't really 'need' to shoot 45 Super but it's nice to know I can.

Does anyone else shoot or have shot 45 Super out of their USP 45?

From all of my readings, .45 Super is fine--- on a limited basis. ;)

Tony

Deputydave

I have it loaded up with some 230 grain +P HST at the moment and that's just fine. I'm very familiar with the 230 Gold Dot from when I carried that on duty. But thought it would be nice to get a box or two of 45 Super 'just because'. In Florida not really worried about the larger critters like in other locals. But we do have quite large feral hog in the area. 45 acp, 40 S&W and 357sig is normally just fine for any critter in my area but again, 45 super 'just because' would be nice. Fire a bit to see how it handles and experience the recoil and then have a bit on hand for fun.

I've watched several videos on YT of a guy, Chuke's Outdoor Adventures, where he and a buddy have done vs. videos on 10mm and 45 Super. Very comparable. He has shot some 45 super from his HK45 IIRC. It is my understanding, and folks can correct me if I'm wrong, the USP 45 is overall stronger than the HK45? Or are they about the same in terms of durability and strength? The reason I'm curious is that maybe down the road an HK45c would be something to look into. Not necessarily for 45 Super shooting, but just to have another 45acp platform to back up the USP 45.

AGG

Staff member
Ballistics-wise, they are probably pretty comparable.

Tony

Deputydave

This thread may be of interest in regards to using the HK USP 45 as a woods pistol.

Why you should be armed in the woods/wilderness

On page 4 is a link to an article on Ammoland that was updated over the last couple of years. I found it very interesting the number of times the 45acp was used effectively in the study. Of additional interest was the 45 Super being used once successfully in the article.

We have found one case where .45 Super pistol was used to defend against a bear. It was successful.

1. 6 Oct. 2017, Wyoming: .45 Super Stops Grizzly Bear Charge
The hunters jumped up and separated. The bear momentarily halted. Kelley fired a warning shot from his .45 Super. The bear moved away a little, behind some fire killed trees and brush, then came in again, fast. Kelly fired again, and the bear went down, rolled down slope and came to a halt, motionless.

Also this thread concerning Woods Carry and the 45acp, page 4 video from Chuke's Outdoors Adventures.

Woods Carry

So my USP 45 would make a very handy woods carry pistol if I wanted a round larger/heavier than either my USPc40 or P2000 in 40S&W.

AGG

Staff member
This thread may be of interest in regards to using the HK USP 45 as a woods pistol.

Why you should be armed in the woods/wilderness

On page 4 is a link to an article on Ammoland that was updated over the last couple of years. I found it very interesting the number of times the 45acp was used effectively in the study. Of additional interest was the 45 Super being used once successfully in the article.

We have found one case where .45 Super pistol was used to defend against a bear. It was successful.

1. 6 Oct. 2017, Wyoming: .45 Super Stops Grizzly Bear Charge

Also this thread concerning Woods Carry and the 45acp, page 4 video from Chuke's Outdoors Adventures.

Woods Carry

So my USP 45 would make a very handy woods carry pistol if I wanted a round larger/heavier than either my USPc40 or P2000 in 40S&W.

Believe that Winchester Black Talon would work on an average bear too. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tony

dano

This Thanksgiving in the Carolina mountains, I brought a Mark 23,HK45 and USP 45. Loaded all up with Buffalo bore at least one mag, and the 23 the remaining out of the 100 I brought along . There was one early stove pipe in the Mark , I think from limp wrising it, but then no problems. The Mark 23 is very manageable shooting it, while all were fine and not punishing at all.

AGG

Staff member
This Thanksgiving in the Carolina mountains, I brought a Mark 23,HK45 and USP 45. Loaded all up with Buffalo bore at least one mag, and the 23 the remaining out of the 100 I brought along . There was one early stove pipe in the Mark , I think from limp wrising it, but then no problems. The Mark 23 is very manageable shooting it, while all were fine and not punishing at all.

Thanks for the report.

Tony