What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well This Sucks

Elkaholic

Warning to all. Make sure your 3 lug adapter is securely locked into place. This is 100% my fault for not double checking. This is not a baffle strike, It's the can flying off with the sear installed and the can getting shot in the air :eek:

I'm embarrassed to say this and post the picture. I feel like a dumb ass. Hopefully maybe it will help someone or at least give you a reason to call me a dumb ass :sneaky:

Attachments

• 4A70D6DE-5ADC-46EF-BD86-5DB7CB5B4200.jpeg
    4A70D6DE-5ADC-46EF-BD86-5DB7CB5B4200.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 30

Tailflash

Ooof. One of my friends did the same thing with his AAC thick coarse thread adapters that you'd think could never happen. He got distracted while screwing his suppressor onto his M4 and then came back and picked up the gun without remembering he was only halfway done with the install process. Put a huge dent in the can and a small crack that AAC was able to pound back, weld, and refinish, but it still has a slight 'kiss' on it to remember the event.
Thanks for the reminder as I need to give my Raptor II a good twist-n-pull check as I've become too complacent with the quick turn-n-release lately.

Guyanaman1963

Warning to all. Make sure your 3 lug adapter is securely locked into place. This is 100% my fault for not double checking. This is not a baffle strike, It's the can flying off with the sear installed and the can getting shot in the air :eek:

I'm embarrassed to say this and post the picture. I feel like a dumb ass. Hopefully maybe it will help someone or at least give you a reason to call me a dumb ass :sneaky:
Thankfully no one was hurt. Thanks for the reminder!
M.

Lamont

Staff member
At least you didn't wind up putting a couple of rounds through your hand like someone did with a MAC-10 back in the day......

Nehalem Man

Sooo...........does it still work? Is the damage just external on the cover or is there internal damage?

-E-

Elkaholic

Ooof. One of my friends did the same thing with his AAC thick coarse thread adapters that you'd think could never happen. He got distracted while screwing his suppressor onto his M4 and then came back and picked up the gun without remembering he was only halfway done with the install process. Put a huge dent in the can and a small crack that AAC was able to pound back, weld, and refinish, but it still has a slight 'kiss' on it to remember the event.
Thanks for the reminder as I need to give my Raptor II a good twist-n-pull check as I've become too complacent with the quick turn-n-release lately.
This is exactly what I was hoping for... I've been playing this game for a long time and have gotten like you. quick turn and release. not anymore

Elkaholic

At least you didn't wind up putting a couple of rounds through your hand like someone did with a MAC-10 back in the day......
I know a guy that did the same with an UZI back in the day

Lamont

Staff member
I know a guy that did the same with an UZI back in the day
Same very coarse thread as for the MAC can, those early UZI setups.

Most of my stuff is direct thread with the exception of the Gemtech HALO and a Fisher .30 can that slides over the Vortex. Very secure mounting for those both, but the flash hider needs to be torqued, and periodically checked. Basically there's no foolproof mounts that don't require periodic inspection.

Elkaholic

Sooo...........does it still work? Is the damage just external on the cover or is there internal damage?

-E-
That's a great question. Because of you question I cleaned all of the mud out of the 3 lug adapter :ROFLMAO: I actually just put it on the gun and looked threw all of it. I've looked down a can and barrel lots of times to see if everything lines up. It actually looks great. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my looking threw it all. I am not going to do that though. There is a hole all the way threw the tube itself. The can is an old SWR trident9. I actually love this old can. The tube is aluminum, I have the ability to weld aluminum :) they say you cant take this can apart to clean it, I figured out how to do it a few years ago. I also have a good buddy that owns a machine shop. when I get it apart and all cleaned up, I'm going to have him make me a mandrel to straiten it out then weld it up. With all of his tooling, dial indicators and such. we will make sure its good to go before a bullet goes threw it

Elkaholic

Same very coarse thread as for the MAC can, those early UZI setups.

Most of my stuff is direct thread with the exception of the Gemtech HALO and a Fisher .30 can that slides over the Vortex. Very secure mounting for those both, but the flash hider needs to be torqued, and periodically checked. Basically there's no foolproof mounts that don't require periodic inspection.
I don't think my buddy that shot his hand even had a can on it. It was before I knew him. He's an eye surgeon, I bet he was shitting his pants 😬

Can you school me a little? I have a registered mini UZI. Did they change from course threads to a finer thread at some point?

Attachments

• FF6CC2A4-F284-40C0-A947-C13EF7635860.jpeg
    FF6CC2A4-F284-40C0-A947-C13EF7635860.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 02E0ABA4-E780-4034-8189-1434385DEAAC.jpeg
    02E0ABA4-E780-4034-8189-1434385DEAAC.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 6

Lamont

Staff member
I don't think my buddy that shot his hand even had a can on it. It was before I knew him. He's an eye surgeon, I bet he was shitting his pants 😬

Can you school me a little? I have a registered mini UZI. Did they change from course threads to a finer thread at some point?
I have a registered Mini as well. My AWC can replaces the barrel nut and and has those same threads, and engages the ratchet, but there were barrels made in the 80's that had MAC threads directly on them so the MAC can could be used on the barrel. Any setup that replaces the barrel nut is the way to go.

Elkaholic

I have a registered Mini as well. My AWC can replaces the barrel nut and and has those same threads, and engages the ratchet, but there were barrels made in the 80's that had MAC threads directly on them so the MAC can could be used on the barrel. Any setup that replaces the barrel nut is the way to go.
Got ya. So you still used the barrel nut but the can threaded onto the barrel

Lamont

Staff member
No, I never used such a setup. For my Mini you remove the barrel nut and attach the can in it's place, the ratchet that retains the barrel nut now retains the can.

Elkaholic

No, I never used such a setup. For my Mini you remove the barrel nut and attach the can in it's place, the ratchet that retains the barrel nut now retains the can.
I was talking about the old course thread stuff

Lamont

Staff member
That's how it worked, It was just same as a MAC, but I never used it. RPB used to sell those barrels back in the 80's.

Elkaholic

I went to my buddy's today and he helped me make a mandrel to push the dent out. There is still a baffle or the blast shield trapped in there. That's why it's made like this.

Attachments

• 0AD50777-21CE-4989-AB01-265857E17C2B.jpeg
    0AD50777-21CE-4989-AB01-265857E17C2B.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 34F11C0E-15E4-4EF4-89BD-374FBE2D7FC2.jpeg
    34F11C0E-15E4-4EF4-89BD-374FBE2D7FC2.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 316E6A00-C2DA-4612-92D7-CEA153ECF5EC.jpeg
    316E6A00-C2DA-4612-92D7-CEA153ECF5EC.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 7

Elkaholic

Finished it up today. Haven't tested it but looking threw it attached to a barrel. I am way good to go. next time I paint a gun with bake on finish, I'll paint a ring down there

Attachments

• FBB2289D-C04A-435F-A6E4-E5D4FAE7D2EC.jpeg
    FBB2289D-C04A-435F-A6E4-E5D4FAE7D2EC.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 11