What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's under the Vector V53 muzzle extension?

giantpune

This gun has a short barrel and an extension pinned and welded to make 16". When the stamp comes back, this thing is is coming off. I found an interview from vector from years ago where they mentioned the extensions were pressed on over the factory threads, and can be removed to expose the threads for a brake.

The pin and weld appears pretty visible. I dont expect much trouble machining off the weld. But from there, I'm not sure. Do I twist, or pull, or bop it, or slap it? Is it left or right hand threads? Is there any loctite or jb weld?

MMissile

Whatever, be careful. I form-1'd one of my 9mm clones that had a fake suppressor. I removed the "weight" in my shop. I didn't realize it had a HK 3-lug barrel. I got into one of the lugs a little bit, with the drill. After getting it off, it has a small divot in one lug, but doesn't effect the operation/function....just a reminder.

I would drill out the pin and then try to unthread. I would bet that would do it. It seems a PITA to press fit it over a threaded sleeve. Pressed fitted like an AK FSB. Therefore once the pin is out if it is pressed on that tight it ought to screw off. Either way, there is a huge slot that you can get a thick steel bar in to and exert some serious torque.

ORL-LLC

Have done a couple of Vector-53's and just ground off the weld, and hit the opposite side with a hammer and the pin starts to come out.
As you grind the weld, you will see a mixed color of the pin.
Then just grab the pin with vice-grips and thread the Fake Can off.

If you have ever SBR'ed a PS-90. this is MUCH Easier :)

giantpune

My stamp came back this afternoon. The muzzle extension came off without too much drama. I milled the weld off and went back and forth until the pin was ready to come out. Then clamped some vice grips on the thing and it spun off.

The hole for the pin was way back, so the threads didn't get destroyed, which is nice. As fat as this barrel is, there's plenty of meat left there in the pin hole. They maybe went 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through the barrel wall.

Next question, what thread pitch is this? Its somewhere between 1/2-28 and 5/8-24. I left my measuring tools out in the garage.

AGG

Staff member
My stamp came back this afternoon. The muzzle extension came off without too much drama. I milled the weld off and went back and forth until the pin was ready to come out. Then clamped some vice grips on the thing and it spun off.

The hole for the pin was way back, so the threads didn't get destroyed, which is nice. As fat as this barrel is, there's plenty of meat left there in the pin hole. They maybe went 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through the barrel wall.

Next question, what thread pitch is this? Its somewhere between 1/2-28 and 5/8-24. I left my measuring tools out in the garage.

Excellent work and pictorial. ;)

Tony

Pavia

This gun has a short barrel and an extension pinned and welded to make 16". When the stamp comes back, this thing is is coming off. I found an interview from vector from years ago where they mentioned the extensions were pressed on over the factory threads, and can be removed to expose the threads for a brake.

The pin and weld appears pretty visible. I dont expect much trouble machining off the weld. But from there, I'm not sure. Do I twist, or pull, or bop it, or slap it? Is it left or right hand threads? Is there any loctite or jb weld?

Been there done that with the same rifle. Just grind the weld away from the pin and pull it out. The extension screws off. Underneath are threads cut for an HK flash hider. You’ll next some spacers if you want the 53 flash hider prongs to index like the original.

Toss that aluminum junk as far as you can after removal.

Update: Looks like you got her done no problems. Looks great 👍