What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WML? Yay or Nay?

GmanVP9

My VP9 is my winter EDC as well as my night stand gun, I rock a light, as well as carry a separate light. What about you guys? Would love to hear the opposing view as well.

Guyanaman1963

My VP9 is my winter EDC as well as my night stand gun, I rock a light, as well as carry a separate light. What about you guys? Would love to hear the opposing view as well.
Whatever I have on my nightstand at the moment!
usually my Kimber Stainless TLE or as of late my P2000sk.
ultimately I would say whatever you are comfortable with and have the most proficiency on will be your best choice.
M.

MSOGDAWG

I will suggest OLight if your looking. I have em on duty and non-duty guns and I like em. Rechargeable while on the night stand.
No affiliation with em either FWIW

GmanVP9

Interesting that a few seem for it, most people are in the "no" camp

Guyanaman1963

Interesting that a few seem for it, most people are in the "no" camp
I have nothing against it at all. I recommend it to those that need it.
I don’t find the need for one personally.
I have a Streamlight Stinger on my nightstand, that I would prefer to use when and if the needs arises.
I would rather light up someone or something with a handheld than having to point a weapon at them That has a WML mounted to it.
this is my own personal preference and not meant to challenge anyone’s opinion.
Thanks,
M.

GmanVP9

I have nothing against it at all. I recommend it to those that need it.
I don’t find the need for one personally.
I have a Streamlight Stinger on my nightstand, that I would prefer to use when and if the needs arises.
I would rather light up someone or something with a handheld than having to point a weapon at them That has a WML mounted to it.
this is my own personal preference and not meant to challenge anyone’s opinion.
Thanks,
M.
So curious, do you think you're at a disadvantage considering you can't keep both hands on your pistol? (If its a middle of the night thing)

MSOGDAWG

Also believe this about lights
2 is 1
1 is none
Same goes for many things in the gun world as I am sure you are aware 😉🤙🏻

Guyanaman1963

So curious, do you think you're at a disadvantage considering you can't keep both hands on your pistol? (If its a middle of the night thing)
Negative. While 2 hands are preferred, in the darkness of my home at approx 25 to 30’, one hand is sufficient.
if I have to go into the back yard, then I still prefer the flashlight out of alignment with my head and body.
im not a tier one operator, but I have my preferred way of doing things.
M.

LEMming

I see it as a matter of having options. A WML is a value-add for a nightstand gun but, you should always have a handheld light as well so you don't have to muzzle everything to illuminate it.

For a carry gun, I think it's a matter of trade-offs and determining the ROI for your situation. For example, how often are you carrying at night or in situations during the day where you have to enter dark areas (poorly lit parking garage, for example)? If it's almost never, carrying with a WML is a lot of added bulk for little return, and might not be worth it for you. I would say for most people not in an LE role, concealed carrying a WML is probably unnecessary but, more power to you if you still do! Carrying a handheld light, probably on the support hand side, might be a better option that's more flexible.

Same goes for tritium sights. Potentially useful, though maybe only within a small window of certain hours.

Personally, I'd stick to Surefire and Streamlight for pistol lights. Surefire is still the standard. Streamlight is half the price, though the switch quality isn't quite as good. If you're outfitting one gun, go Surefire. If it's multiple guns, Streamlight could save you a decent amount. The new Modlite pistol light does look promising as well.

Last edited:

Guyanaman1963

I see it as a matter of having options. A WML is a value-add for a nightstand gun but, you should always have a handheld light as well so you don't have to muzzle everything to illuminate it.

For a carry gun, I think it's a matter of trade-offs and determining the ROI for your situation. For example, how often are you carrying at night or in situations during the day where you have to enter dark areas (poorly lit parking garage, for example)? If it's almost never, carrying with a WML is a lot of added bulk for little return, and might not be worth it for you. I would say for most people not in an LE role, concealed carrying a WML is probably unnecessary but, more power to you if you still do! Carrying a handheld light, probably on the support hand side, might be a better option that's more flexible.

Same goes for tritium sights? Potentially useful, though maybe only within a small window of certain hours.

Personally, I'd stick to Surefire and Streamlight for pistol lights. Surefire is still the standard. Streamlight is half the price, though the switch quality isn't quite as good. If you're outfitting one gun, go Surefire. If it's multiple guns, Streamlight could save you a decent amount. The new Modlite pistol light does look promising as well.
Well said, albeit more eloquently than I.
I fully agree with all of it, and it’s also how I justify my CCW situation. The needs are what is important and what must be met.
situational awareness is tantamount while carrying concealed. dont blindly walk into a situation that could have been avoided by paying attention.
L/E do not have a choice and must be prepared for just about anything, so I think they would need a wml as standard equipment.
thanks,
M.

Deputydave

I have a WML on my Sig P365 and P365. I carry one or the other, usually the XL 99% of the time these days. I have a TLR-6 on both of them.

Beam shots on page #8 of this LINK.

I also have WML on my night stand pistols, a Glock 19X (TLR-8) as well as several HD pistols and my PCC.

I like a WML for several applications and reasons as listed in the link above.