What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BW20

flybynt

@AGG not scarish at all IMHO

@Blackwing Am I correct that its essentially a G3 with AR pattern lower/magwel attached front push pin and a trimmed down front triple tree with an additional mount on the barrel to support the front flip-up sight and a pic rail complete with rear sight delete for a user selectable/adjustable complimentary flip up sight. The handguard looks to be mlok with panels. The rear stock does look like it provides a better cheek weld for optics which seems to have been a priority for this upgrade.

This is a very cool reimaging / modernization of a venerable platform.

Last edited:

Brad4065

@AGG not scarish at all IMHO

@Blackwing Am I correct that its essentially a G3 with AR pattern lower/magwel attached front push pin and a trimmed down front triple tree with an additional mount on the barrel to support the front flip-up sight and a pic rail complete with rear sight delete for a user selectable/adjustable complimentary flip up sight. The handguard looks to be mlok with panels. The rear stock does look like it provides a better cheek weld for optics which seems to have been a priority for this upgrade.

This is a very cool reimaging / modernization of a venerable platform.

Agreed.....when I saw the double pins on the stock, that's what got me. Kind of a cross breed. Cool though.

Barn Owl Lover

Posted a video a few days ago in the HK roller locked forum. Does a pretty good job of showing the prototypes in action.

Valmet

Pretty neat, nice to see something “new” that isn’t some kind of pistol-caliber carbine or AR variant (save the lower).

Blackwing

Not sure. There wasn't much info on it. There is another thread in another forum section that linked to the original article.

flybynt

Not sure. There wasn't much info on it. There is another thread in another forum section that linked to the original article.
I saw the designation at first and immediately thought hmmm BW20 Blackwing 20 and that you had something to do with it.

Even though I know better now it stands for "Battle Weapon 2020" it will still forever be the "Blackwing 20" to me 👍

Blackwing

This might be a fun "what-if" I can work with. What modern features would you add to bring the RL HK style weapon up to current speed?
The rules:
1. Must still use RL functional design (carrier, bolt, etc)
2. Must hold a certain "HK-ish" external style (does NOT have to hold the full classic look)
3. Let's stick with rifle calibers (does not have to be .308 or.556)

This is a group of the most knowledgeable HK guys on the interwebs. Let's get to it!

Blackwing

Sorry Gman, you have to stick with Roller lock operation. QR and Picto's are currently available. Low profile barrel? Got a pic or better explanation?

flybynt

Ok to start lets elimate the sights, and use a full length top pic rail. Modify the front "tripple tree" and remove the top portion so it becomes a "figure 8" with a tapered/ramped centering nub facing forwards on top that both locates and helps to secure it top the the rail system. It should also be fully secured to prevent accidental removal or movement by a std hk handguard hangar and push pin towards the front to lock it on the nub. The rear of the rail is basically an extended MP5 style MLI rail using std Weldments.

The next big change IMHO should extend to the the cocking tube to make it user serviceable for changing its operation to the right side or for replacement. Make it float at both ends and locate it in place by a pin through the figure 8 at the front and by a tab at the other where it gets inserted in the reciever that locks it into a channel in the bottom of the pic rail, or alternatively pin it.

The hg can use the readily available std knights type rail or slim mlok hg systems already in production.

The AR lower and magwell of this design seems reasonable and in keeping with future updates such as ambi selector etc. It has to have an ambi bho option that operates on the carrier and not the bolt head. This has been done before, and since we talking about the use of modern mags they will have followers that should work well. It should also be easy to engage and release w/o a magazine. The mag release should also be ambi in operation.

A nice option would be to have a forward assist and brass deflector.

Im less sure about the stock but lean towards a non folding but collapsable ACR or AR type stock.

The muzzle should be threaded in std muzzle device patterns 1/2x28 or 5/8x24

it would also be nice to have a progressive rate or adjustable hydraulic buffer instead of the spring loaded affair of the g3.

Last edited:

Blackwing

Ok to start lets elimate the sights, and use a full length top pic rail. Modify the front "tripple tree" and remove the top portion so it becomes a "figure 8" with a tapered/ramped centering nub facing forwards on top that both locates and helps to secures it the rail system. It should also be fully secured to prevent accidental removal or movement by a std hk handguard hangar and push pin towards the front to lock it on the nub. The real of the rail towards the rear is basically an extended MP5 style MLI rail using std Weldments. Hmm. This would need some thought. The triple is attached to the barrel only, to allow for free float and the sight moves with the barrel. if they are separated that would need a rework. For civilians, no problem. Combat would have an issue if dropped/damaged the sight may point right and the barrel left. Ghllie built a shorty with a rail from rear sight to shaved front sight. I really liked the look of it. He used two of my long pic rails welded to the tube.

The next big change IMHO should extend to the the cocking tube to make it user serviceable for changing its operation to the right side or for replacement. Make it float at both ends and locate it in place by a pin through the figure 8 at the front and by a tab at the other where it gets inserted in the reciever that locks it into a channel in the bottom of the pic rail, or alternatively pin it. This is a hard problem to work around. The tube is rigid to allow a straight back pull on the carrier. If it is loose the pullback will be horrendous and the forearm won't be able to lock in solidly (since the forearm pin goes through the weldment on the tube.)

The hg can use the readily available std knights type rail or slim mlok hg systems already in production. Check

The AR lower and magwell of this design seems reasonable and in keeping with future updates such as ambi selector etc. It has to have an ambi bho option that operates on the carrier and not the bolt head. This has been done before, and since we talking about the use of modern mags they will have followers that should work well. It should also be easy to engage and release w/o a magazine. The mag release should also be ambi in operation. This would require not using the HK style FCG pack system but, in the interest of moving into the future, ok. The BW20 looks like a SCAR lower was pinned on.

A nice option would be to have a forward assist and brass deflector. MSG90/PSG

Im less sure about the stock but lean towards a non folding but collapsable ACR or AR type stock.
Check
The muzzle should be threaded in std muzzle device patterns 1/2x28 or 5/8x24
US threading, check.
it would also be nice to have a progressive rate or adjustable hydraulic buffer instead of the spring loaded affair of the g3. Like a SCAR
I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more replies.