What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on this MP5 article??

AGG

Staff member
Curious...
What's up with the selector (as shown in this article)?

Maybe like an MP5Z trigger pack, but instead of having to push a button to switch to full auto, one may need a special key. :unsure:

Tony

flybynt

Curious...
What's up with the selector (as shown in this article)?
View attachment 8603View attachment 8604
That pack has a set of selectors with the FA lockout feature which need a special key to enable/disable the selectors from moving to the FA position. They were provided to leo organizations that wanted to prevent their use of FA for liability reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

HK53King

WoW WTF FA lockout? Does it come with a grip bottom tampon dispenser .... perhaps not.... chicom joe has supply chain problems etc. etc.

HK53King

Proof HK is most wonderful++ ... they thought of soft folks, like bonehead boy who wrote that silly ass article, and those with itchy trigger fingers BRAVO HK BRAVO!

Lamont

Staff member
The 9mm question and its lack of ability to penetrate soft armor is addressed by the '53 as has been observed earlier in the thread. Note that this observation only applies to lead core ammo. Change projectile construction, different animal. Swedish M39/b does 50 layers of Kevlar (with IIIa being what, 34 or something?) at 1250-ish and it's still lead core, albeit with a very thick/heavy copper plated steel jacket. I'll bet that load through an SD at 1000fps will do IIIa nasty. "Resistance to deformation = penetration".

That the SD produces .380 coming out the muzzle is not completely accurate, I've never seen .380 in 124gr, or 115 for that matter. This being said, the SD's strength is that it turns standard 9mm into subsonic 9mm. Leave it at that, it's still a capability worth having. Truthfully I have never been an big MP5 guy but I would take it over any other 9mm sub gun except a Sterling. That's just a personal preference for that gun, the MP5 is really the clear winner for capability. Modern optics, closed bolt, muzzle can on/off.

I own an SD.

Last edited:

HK53King

Yes Lamont agree all 100% true. I own a H K 5 3 but both, SD, would not punch the new ish pimped up level III/III+ armor or hard level IV armor... yes most bad guys likely not have III+/IV stuff on true... in this crazy world sould be ready for anything tho etc. They have so many whizbang (pun intended) soft/soft ish body armors that's now = to old school type hard level IV stuff. "Better to have and not need vs. need and not have concept. Seems now ya need a FA .308/.308 AP to try to "have an edge." Just commando couch talking here that's all.

Lamont

Staff member
Yes Lamont agree all 100% true. I own a H K 5 3 but both, SD, would not punch the new ish pimped up level III/III+ armor or hard level IV armor... yes most bad guys likely not have III+/IV stuff on true... in this crazy world sould be ready for anything tho etc. They have so many whizbang (pun intended) soft/soft ish body armors that's now = to old school type hard level IV stuff. "Better to have and not need vs. need and not have concept. Seems now ya need a FA .308/.308 AP to try to "have an edge." Just commando couch talking here that's all.
It's worth remembering that an old IIA will stop 95% of what you might get shot with, to include almost any hollowpoint.

Used vests are like $100-ish on eBay. The shooting a few months back where a retired cop doing security work was killed, he got a hit on the shooters armor but.....now yes, in that case it was a SAPI plate that no pistol round would have got through but the vast majority of criminal offenses done while wearing armor, it's soft armor. Result would have been the same in that case SAPI or Soft.

HK53King

Yes Sir, beyond horrible indeed for the poor security officer who was murdered.
Smh.

Such a dangerous world we live in and it only seems to be getting worse each and every day.

rand000

Contributing member
The 1911 has been surpassed in terms of design aesthetics and sheer functionality by Glock.
In a hypothetical shootout between a guy and his identical clone the one armed with a 1911 loses to the one armed with a G19 - less recoil, 2x the bullets and consistent trigger pull.
The Glock doesn't rust or even really need to be cleaned so it's also more likely to be 100% functional when the hypothetical dual goes down.
The MP5 meanwhile has been surpassed in functionality in some areas (BHO, polymer receivers, etc.)but nothing comes close to it in terms of design aesthetics.
In other areas the MP5 still is unsurpassed - modern mags are still double stacked and the roller lock action hasn't been obsoleted by anything superior.

I'm curious what would happen if an MP5 receiver was cloned in the exact same material Glocks are made out of with steel reinforcement bits on the rail high points.
Also curious how hard it would be to add BHO to the MP5, it seems like with a polymer receiver there could just be a simple link from the magwell to the bolt.
A new follower in the magazine would trip the BHO.

Last edited:

Guyanaman1963

The 1911 has been surpassed in terms of design aesthetics and sheer functionality by Glock.
In a hypothetical shootout between a guy and his identical clone the one armed with a 1911 loses to the one armed with a G19 - less recoil, 2x the bullets and consistent trigger pull.
The Glock doesn't rust or even really need to be cleaned so it's also more likely to be 100% functional when the hypothetical dual goes down.
The MP5 meanwhile has been surpassed in functionality in some areas (BHO, polymer receivers, etc.)but nothing comes close to it in terms of design aesthetics.
In other areas the MP5 still is unsurpassed - modern mags are still double stacked and the roller lock action hasn't been obsoleted by anything superior.

I'm curious what would happen if an MP5 receiver was cloned in the exact same material Glocks are made out of with steel reinforcement bits on the rail high points.
Also curious how hard it would be to add BHO to the MP5, it seems like with a polymer receiver there could just be a simple link from the magwell to the bolt.
Bold statements. I dont necessarily disagree but I also dont agree with your comparisons.
Your “opinions” make sense for certain options on the MP5, but I dont know if it would make it ”better”…. Preferred maybe?
Lets not forget that weapons platform are just that… a platform used as a base to build another weapon system.
The VP70 was used by Gaston Glock to create the Glock Safe Action weapon systems that he has done a phenomenal job in marketing.
The Colt semi Auto platform was not the same platform that turned into the M1911 platform.
Better… is a very subjective term. What is the criteria for better… capacity, reliability, ergonomics, maintenance, accuracy (at what Range), weight?
The list goes on and on like the caliber wars!
Back in the 80’s while I was in the service of the USAF, I was deployed out with MP5’s or M4’s depending on the mission criteria. My only requirements were, when the trigger was pulled… something came out of the barrel And that the target went down. Same criteria for side arms.
I can tell you I ”preferred“ the M4 but by no means would I say it was “better” than the MP5.
Thanks,
M.

Brad4065

The MP5 10mm/40 cal has the bolt hold option. And yes, they function quite well on semi and full auto.

Cheers!!!!

Lamont

Staff member
Back in the 80’s while I was in the service of the USAF, I was deployed out with MP5’s or M4’s depending on the mission criteria. My only requirements were, when the trigger was pulled… something came out of the barrel And that the target went down. Same criteria for side arms.
I can tell you I ”preferred“ the M4 but by no means would I say it was “better” than the MP5.
Thanks,
M.
People often confuse the launcher with the payload. The reason an M4 is "better" than an MP5 is because of terminal ballistics, not what launches the projectile. Whatever issues one might have with an M4 in 5.56 are addressed by 7.62x35. In it's supersonic loading it is the direct equivalent of the 7.62x39/.30-30 Winchester. (Worth noting that many Russians and Ukrainians both prefer 7.62x39 to the 5.45x39....) In it's subsonic loading, it's the most useful and capable cartridge of it's type. Not to mention easily available.

rand000

Contributing member
The MP5 10mm/40 cal has the bolt hold option. And yes, they function quite well on semi and full auto.

Cheers!!!!
Any idea why the BHO wasn't it ever ported over to the 9mm guns?
I've always figured if it worked great and didn't affect reliability in a negative way they'd make it the default and sell the whole world a bunch of new guns and new magazines.

Brad4065

Any idea why the BHO wasn't it ever ported over to the 9mm guns?
I've always figured if it worked great and didn't affect reliability in a negative way they'd make it the default and sell the whole world a bunch of new guns and new magazines.
My sentiments exactly!!!

I could never figure out the "why" they didn't reconfigure the MP5 9mm to replicate the MP5 10/40, because personally
the MP5 10mm is one of my favorites.....just more expensive to shoot. @AGG do you know why HK never put the
BHO on the MP5 9mm????

Cheers!!!!

rand000

Contributing member
Apparently no one has either converted a 9mm MP5 to BHO or built one from a flat.