What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hammer-fired or striker-fired

Deputydave

What is your preference?

First handgun I ever shot was my duty weapon in the academy. It was a S&W M64 .38 Special. Carried that for the first 11 years of my career. As a result, I really got use to a heavy, long trigger pull. So my preference is still for a hammer-fired platform. I don't mind striker-fired at all. But personal preference is a good DA/SA or DAO hammer-fired firearm.

How about you guys?

Deputydave

I have an Outlaw match this afternoon. I'm going to use the USPc40 in this match and run it through it's paces. This will be the first time I've used a hammer-fired pistol at this match. Before I used my G19FS. Letting my son use that set up for the match. It is his first time going and wanted him to use something similar to what he's trained with in the past.

AGG

Staff member
I have an Outlaw match this afternoon. I'm going to use the USPc40 in this match and run it through it's paces. This will be the first time I've used a hammer-fired pistol at this match. Before I used my G19FS. Letting my son use that set up for the match. It is his first time going and wanted him to use something similar to what he's trained with in the past.

Awesome--- best of luck to you both--- keep us updated.

Tony

Deputydave

We got back from the match just a few minutes ago. We had a wonderful time. My son really enjoyed the experience and I got the chance to see a couple of my old work buddies and we went out to dinner afterwards.

Very please with how well my son did. We shot 89 rounds on three course of fire. He got slightly more than 50% Alpha hits (46). I consider this very good for his first time shooting this type of match with a Glock 19 which he had limited experience with. In fact, I don't recall him shooting this particular G19. So we were both very pleased with how well he did and how much he enjoyed it. He even got 3/5 on the Texas star while it was moving! He liked the G19 quite a bit as well.

I enjoyed shooting the USPc40. Although it's hard to compare it to the courses of fire I shot last time using the G10.5FS since it was different, I got quite a bit more Alphas using the HK. I very much enjoyed the DA/SA trigger of this pistol.

One of the courses of fire was particularly beneficial from a training perspective because it was all support hand only. I was very pleased with this course of fire as this is the hand I broke a couple of years ago. It still stiff from time to time so it was good to see that I can indeed still shoot with it well.

Very nice night. :)

AGG

Staff member
We got back from the match just a few minutes ago. We had a wonderful time. My son really enjoyed the experience and I got the chance to see a couple of my old work buddies and we went out to dinner afterwards.

Very please with how well my son did. We shot 89 rounds on three course of fire. He got slightly more than 50% Alpha hits (46). I consider this very good for his first time shooting this type of match with a Glock 19 which he had limited experience with. In fact, I don't recall him shooting this particular G19. So we were both very pleased with how well he did and how much he enjoyed it. He even got 3/5 on the Texas star while it was moving! He liked the G19 quite a bit as well.

I enjoyed shooting the USPc40. Although it's hard to compare it to the courses of fire I shot last time using the G10.5FS since it was different, I got quite a bit more Alphas using the HK. I very much enjoyed the DA/SA trigger of this pistol.

One of the courses of fire was particularly beneficial from a training perspective because it was all support hand only. I was very pleased with this course of fire as this is the hand I broke a couple of years ago. It still stiff from time to time so it was good to see that I can indeed still shoot with it well.

Very nice night. :)

Thanks for the update--- nice work--- sounded like a great day. ;)

Tony

Hk-USPC-40

I sold all my striker fired guns except for one which I gave away to my twin brother.. = Glocks & M&P Shield..
My only two currently have hammers & are DA/SA + They are Both Heckler & Koch & 40 S&W

~~~"The Fraternal Twins"~~~
Twin Hks.JPG

AGG

Staff member
I sold all my striker fired guns except for one which I gave away to my twin brother.. = Glocks & M&P Shield..
My only two currently have hammers & are DA/SA + They are Both Heckler & Koch & 40 S&W

~~~"The Fraternal Twins"~~~
View attachment 919

Should have kept the Glocks and S&W for throw downs. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Variant 1 is my favorite. ;)

Tony

esh21167

Not being any kind of expert, for personal defense I prefer striker fired. No safety, no long trigger pull first shot where I fire into the ground. ;)

Hk-USPC-40

You do have to train with a DA/SA but the option of a safety & decocker is my choice as Tony Said Variant 1
If you have a Hk there are so many options with the LEM & different detent plates with the hammer fired guns

My Buddy at one of the Pawn Shops says He gets several calls a day asking "Do You Have Any Glocks?"
They don't ask which ones, caliber, length etc. Stimulus money in the hands of new gun buyers..

Deputydave

Thread on another forum today asking how to lighten the trigger on a stock Glock 21 for HD. The stock trigger on a G21 is around 6.2 lbs. So my first question to the OP is 'why would you need to lessen a 6.2 lbs trigger pull for HD'. And that's what I see from folks that in all likelihood are either very new shooters or shooters who's only experience is on striker-fired pistols. I'd hate to see them have to depend on a revolver or DA/SA with a 12 lbs trigger pull.

I compare this to my USPc40 which has a rated 11.4lb DA trigger pull and 4.5lb SA trigger pull. As long as the pull is smooth, it really shouldn't matter how long/heavy the pull is, within reason of course.

Unless you have a disability, a 6 lbs trigger pull is ridiculously light for a defensive pistol. And if you can't handle that trigger you're in need of training.

MMissile

You do have to train with a DA/SA but the option of a safety & decocker is my choice as Tony Said Variant 1
If you have a Hk there are so many options with the LEM & different detent plates with the hammer fired guns

My Buddy at one of the Pawn Shops says He gets several calls a day asking "Do You Have Any Glocks?"
They don't ask which ones, caliber, length etc. Stimulus money in the hands of new gun buyers..

It's not stimulus money....it's fear. My FFL has to turn off the phones at times [he's also had to close the doors for too many people/ and early to leave at a reasonable time]. He's sold about 5-6 years of product, in the last 10 months. When he gets product, it never lasts 2-3 days. Fortunately, he's very well connected and gets product a couple days a week.
I go there a couple days a week, and It's fun and crazy to watch. People don't care what they buy...they just gotta have a gun. I think his best day was like 56 guns. A good day is 20+, and an average day is 10-20.

Last edited:

Hk-USPC-40

The gun stores around here are price gougers with their $850 Glocks
Are they really making $450 profit on a $398.20 handgun??
You have to look elsewhere = Pawn Shops = All of them weekly to score the goods
I can't visit Keisler's as they require that you once served or firefighter, police, EMT etc
Don't fit the bill there. So I'm ousted.. Last time I went there I rode over with the Ex Police Chief = No Problem
I know the owners too, Doesn't matter.. = Lost sales for them..

Deputydave

I responded to a post on another forum where the OP had monkeyed around with his Glock and now it was unreliable. Wondering if it was the aftermarket parts. Duh :rolleyes:

So I went into my normal response that beyond a few exceptions like sights and the enhanced paddle mag release on HK, most aftermarket parts are crap that is not needed. He then complained that the 6lb trigger on his Glock was too heavy and wondered if he should add yet another aftermarket part to his already unreliable pistol....

I learned to shoot on revolvers with 12lb trigger pulls so anytime I see someone whine about a Glock trigger being too heavy I roll my eyes, in a nice way of course, lol.

My response was that too many people try to 'tweak' their gun to cover for crappy shooting skills. I added this; But I say again, if someone can't shoot like a pro with a stock Glock they need more/better training, not some do-dad aftermarket part. If you can shoot a stock Glock (or any pistol) like a pro then and only then should you think about adding a do-dad. But by then...do you really need it?

Just my opinion. Beyond a few common sense mods like night sights and that enhanced paddle release, I'm not one for aftermarket parts.

MMissile

The gun stores around here are price gougers with their $850 Glocks
Are they really making $450 profit on a $398.20 handgun??
You have to look elsewhere = Pawn Shops = All of them weekly to score the goods
I can't visit Keisler's as they require that you once served or firefighter, police, EMT etc
Don't fit the bill there. So I'm ousted.. Last time I went there I rode over with the Ex Police Chief = No Problem
I know the owners too, Doesn't matter.. = Lost sales for them..

It's funny...my FFL has never gouged during any of the scares, over the last 30 years. He won't buy from gouging suppliers, either. He gets lots of product while others can't...because of his business ethics. He's also never had any kind of tab with any vendors. They know they can count of him, and will hold the biggest percentage of product for him. Right now, he's only selling a bit of ammo with a firearm purchase, or for people going on the range. Nothing goes out the door by itself, otherwise. I know some places are charging up the behind for range ammo and even with a gun purchase. He's buys as cheap as possible from honest vendors, and keeps selling at his normal margins. Old-school and proud.