What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A3 Stock

Vinz Klortho

I've been pining for a 33K but IMHO they just dont look right without an A3 stock.
Unfortunately my Scarab needs new outdrives and the house on Hilton Head needs a new roof so I cant afford spending up to $2k for a single pin stock. :ROFLMAO:

So I made one...

short.jpg

I had been watching GB for used, 2 pin stocks. Found a beater, paid thru the nose for it. I cut it up, shortened the rails, et voila.
I attempted to copy the profile of the standard endcap and yes, I will eventually refinish it. My original plan was to either shorten the recoil spring rod and install a 93 spring or remove it altogether then make & install a copy of that little rod retaining cup that sits inside the endcap.

As it turns out the stock I ended up with is made by HK Parts for use in the PTR PDW. It has a shortened recoil rod with an odd, floating tip. When fully etended it is only about 5mm longer than the normal 93 recoil spring assembly. The floating tip absorbed the difference in length. I installed a new, 93 recoil spring. It fits perfectly and dry-cycles perfectly with no perceptible binding.
I know you purists are poo-pooing this idea but I have no shame and no overpowering self-preservation urges so I'm taking it to the range tomorrow.

long (1).jpg

I'm going to efile a Form 1 and SBR it (when approved) if it runs correctly.

UltraFudd

I wouldn’t refinish it. It looks vintage, especially worn the wood grip.

It’ll grow on you like an old friend, and then you can work up a tale of how you acquired it from a dead “insert period of warfare here”.

Vinz Klortho

Any of you guys know if the buffer is rebuildable in these stocks?
I cant find anything online. Either I'm not using correct terms or there's nothing out there for them.

ETA: Found that the A2 and A3 stocks use the same buffer spring

Last edited:

Vinz Klortho

I agree, in civilian hands they're just for looks.
And it's positively brutal when used on the 30 cal rifles.

Vinz Klortho

Well I've just got home from the range. The stock functioned perfectly.
I'm tickled.
This is a relatively low-cost option if you're handy with a die grinder and want an A3 stock for your 93 type rifle.
I should add that I had to trim a little sheetmetal off the rear edge of my receiver to provide clearance for the endcap internals.
My rifle is a Century, I would assume an HK would already feature this clearance cut. My 91 does and the PTR receiver (pictured) does too.
It's highlighted in the box

cut.jpg

Last edited:

Vinz Klortho

Baby steps man, baby steps.
I didn't even know that the 93 recoil buffer is in the bolt carrier.
This is my next item. Got to find someone who can weld.
Whipped up a sling loop...

loop.jpg

Vinz Klortho

So I was just over at RTG's site. Is it me or have they received a new batch of parts?
Anyway, look what I found there...

I ordered one (and more stuff I dont need but couldn't resist) to modify.
This one obviously doesn't have the recoil rod attached so, providing I can improvise a spring base, I can use my old recoil spring.
I wish I knew how to weld.

Vinz Klortho

So my LGS recommended a welder. He wants 60 bucks for the job.
I guess I can do without a sling loop.
:ROFLMAO:

ghoulardi

there is a vast difference being cheap and being stupid..........paying 60 bucks for someone to put 2 small welds is being stupid