What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anybody remember .......

SubRosa

Two friends met up at the local watering hole.

One noticed the other had an awesome shiner, and asked him how it happened.

"I told my sister she was giving too many cheap BJ's, and she clobbered me with a bag of quarters."

DRYHEAT

v5sk5xF.png

ENDER

Staff member
Does anyone remember a time before cable television? We had 80 mph straight winds this week that knocked out power to some 260,000 residents. I have power, buit no Comcast cable or internet.

Going to Walmart tomorrow to buy one of these to get my FREE channels

1662006042558.png

Guyanaman1963

Does anyone remember a time before cable television? We had 80 mph straight winds this week that knocked out power to some 260,000 residents. I have power, buit no Comcast cable or internet.

Going to Walmart tomorrow to buy one of these to get my FREE channels

View attachment 8744
I would really like to know how that works out for you. I tried it once, but couldn't get a really good enough reception on it.
I hear good things about outdoor antennas, so I have been thinking about it again!
M.

ENDER

Staff member
I would really like to know how that works out for you. I tried it once, but couldn't get a really good enough reception on it.
I hear good things about outdoor antennas, so I have been thinking about it again!
M.
Won't be going to Walmart after all as I woke up to functioning internet and cable. I almost had to read a book :oops:

SubRosa

Won't be going to Walmart after all as I woke up to functioning internet and cable. I almost had to read a book :oops:
Keep in mind HDTV digital requires a good signal for a short time to load the buffers and derive a picture, unlike the analog days where you could see a bit of picture before final placement when swinging the antenna (antennae is plural, BTW).

This makes a fixed antenna a real chore to get aimed correctly, and the reason a lot of the new off-air ones are for indoor use and non-directional.

We use free TV exclusively just outside Phoenix, and there are some 90 channels visible. Most suck, but only the good ones get saved for viewing.

A re-scan is a good thing to do every couple months, as channel allocations are changing with newer technology.

SubRosa

Guyanaman1963

Keep in mind HDTV digital requires a good signal for a short time to load the buffers and derive a picture, unlike the analog days where you could see a bit of picture before final placement when swinging the antenna (antennae is plural, BTW).

This makes a fixed antenna a real chore to get aimed correctly, and the reason a lot of the new off-air ones are for indoor use and non-directional.

We use free TV exclusively just outside Phoenix, and there are some 90 channels visible. Most suck, but only the good ones get saved for viewing.

A re-scan is a good thing to do every couple months, as channel allocations are changing with newer technology.

SubRosa
What would you suggest for an indoor antenna? I have heard of folks installing an outdoor antenna in their attic and claiming great results.

SubRosa

A real Yagi (typical TV antenna) is a great idea, if you have a single-source transmitting site like South Mountain in Phoenix.

They are directional, and need to be aimed as such. Setting one up right is worth the effort, as your TV is then free.

As far as indoor jobs go, I'd research reviews on the net and buy accordingly.

SR

UltraFudd

What would you suggest for an indoor antenna? I have heard of folks installing an outdoor antenna in their attic and claiming great results.
I’ve had good luck with the Mohu Leaf antenna. Unpowered one in my house for when Charter takes a dump and installed the powered version at our Legion Post because we’re old and too cheap to pay for cable!

Both work well and pull in all the major networks, plus their -1, -2, and -3 sub channels. We’re about 15 miles away from the major broadcast antennas on the outskirts of a metro area.

Both on Amazon @ $35 and $57 respectively.