What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fishing... let's hear those stories... see those boats and caught fish

dirtyharriett

Fishing is absolutely one of my favorite things on this Earth to do. I've had two different fishing boats over the last 15 years of which I have since sold but still have many fond memories of those days. My long term hope is to get a home on the water on some great fishing lake and then get another boat. I am sure many others here probably enjoy this hobby too and it would be great if we all can share our fishing stories and experiences with one another. Pictures of our past or current boats along with pics of those big and little fish would be awesome too.

Last edited:

ENDER

Staff member
In Michigan - I believe the stat is that there is no more than 6 miles of land between any body of water. I grew up in the country with a private lake across the street. It seemed like every day during the summer, me and a buddy would head out to stand on a 50 year old half broken down dock that was partially under water. We would fish with night crawlers and bobbers. Of course we caught blue gill, sunfish, perch, bass and the occasional pike. We were the only ones to ever fish that lake.

Simpler times.

I hate reading long posts, so I will keep this one short - more to come though.

AGG

Staff member
My daughter was @ 8 years old, and my father is now deceased 😪--- she wore grandad's fishing cap--- my dad caught a tree while trolling--- when the tree arose from the water, my daughter laughed until she cried--- she also caught her first fish (largemouth bass) that day. :)

Tony

ENDER

Staff member
I took my son fishing for the first time when he was 7 or 8. Went to a Metro Park where we could rent a row boat. Windy as hell that day (of course), but managed to get situated near the shore where others were. Thank God he caught a small blue gill within 10 minutes, because we got nothing the next hour and a half and a good amount of rowing. He got bragging rights and that made it all worth while. Now at 15 - do you think he wants to do anything with dad? Nope.

AGG

Staff member
I took my son fishing for the first time when he was 7 or 8. Went to a Metro Park where we could rent a row boat. Windy as hell that day (of course), but managed to get situated near the shore where others were. Thank God he caught a small blue gill within 10 minutes, because we got nothing the next hour and a half and a good amount of rowing. He got bragging rights and that made it all worth while. Now at 15 - do you think he wants to do anything with dad? Nope.

The best memories ever. :)
Of course not--- he has friends now. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tony

Hk-USPC-40

My Father passed away 17 years ago & haven't went fishing since..
He lived near several lakes in his retirement & Him & My Mother who passed 22 years ago where really into fishing & I can still remember catching my 1st fish which was a tiny Bluegill as a small child with my twin brother = Good Times long before work & stress became part of our lives...
I still have my Pop's favorite Fly Rod We used in a stream with corn as bait many many years ago..
No Pictures, They had brownies & polaroid's back then..

My Dad would always catch 5X the fish of anyone else as if He knew exactly how to talk to them or something..
It was uncanny or just pure skill in the cast & where when what & how..

Now my Twin brother & I are the oldest in the family living, My Older Brother passed away Thanksgiving Day..
My Sister passed away many many years ago as well.. I really miss Her..

Just another Fish Story..

AGG

Staff member
My Father passed away 17 years ago & haven't went fishing since..
He lived near several lakes in his retirement & Him & My Mother who passed 22 years ago where really into fishing & I can still remember catching my 1st fish which was a tiny Bluegill as a small child with my twin brother = Good Times long before work & stress became part of our lives...
I still have my Pop's favorite Fly Rod We used in a stream with corn as bait many many years ago..
No Pictures, They had brownies & polaroid's back then..

My Dad would always catch 5X the fish of anyone else as if He knew exactly how to talk to them or something..
It was uncanny or just pure skill in the cast & where when what & how..

Now my Twin brother & I are the oldest in the family living, My Older Brother passed away Thanksgiving Day..
My Sister passed away many many years ago as well.. I really miss Her..

Just another Fish Story..

Awesome story--- the loss of family is tough.

Tony

MMissile

I have extreme motion-sickness, so on water fishing is something I'd never attempt. When we were kids we used to fish down by a local lake that had a little dam. We'd fish in the spillway area, and we used to catch a bunch of panfish, but I've never liked fresh-water fish [too stinky], so it was catch and release. After two fish swallowed my hooks and I basicly had to string-gut them.....I lost my taste for fishing. I also remember fishing in a pond in a camping area in Alabama. We were pre-teens, and my brother caught a small fish. He was bringing it in, and a water-moccasin decided that it wanted it more. My younger brother kept bringing it in, when my mom grabbed him and dragged him off. I remember being scared shitless.

MMissile

I hate big and poisonous snakes. Babies, don't bother me. We don't have them up here, except for one scarce breed of rattler. I've seen one in my lifetime in Michigan.

andrew1182

I go to Mexico a couple of times per year and do a little fishing. I mainly go to shoot birds, but usually get on Lake Guerrero at least ever other day when I'm down there. Here's the biggest one I caught on the last trip (fishing wasn't good)

4BF7C0y.jpg

Now, here are three monsters caught out of the lake as well. Everyone over 15lbs. The first one is one that my father caught. He's 5'7" 150lbs for reverence. The other two are on the wall at my uncles place down there and were caught by friends and family out of Guerrero as well over the years. There's some serious donkeys in that lake:

96mxaDj.jpg

JNIQ1G4.jpg

UxhbmyN.jpg

andrew1182

We bought our first boat this year as well. It's note exactly for fishing; more of an insurance policy to make sure our kid and his friends want to continue to hang out with us so we can keep an eye on them, LoL

SeaRay 240 Sundeck. It's a 2004 with an OAL just shy of 27'. Has a brand new engine and outdrive that were replaced by insurance less than a year ago by the previous owner from two separate incidents. One outdrive strike on a rock and one plastic bag sucked into the engine's impeller. WInner for us right? LoL

CXcthzM.jpg

hUlwOUM.jpg

FHAElJm.jpg

0Stexwb.jpg

nyaE4p7.jpg

ENDER

Staff member
@andrew1182 Excellent - and thanks for the pics. I can relate too, without the walk out finished basement - I have lost the ability to keep an eye on my 15 yo. anymore :LOL:

dirtyharriett

I go to Mexico a couple of times per year and do a little fishing. I mainly go to shoot birds, but usually get on Lake Guerrero at least ever other day when I'm down there. Here's the biggest one I caught on the last trip (fishing wasn't good)

4BF7C0y.jpg

Now, here are three monsters caught out of the lake as well. Everyone over 15lbs. The first one is one that my father caught. He's 5'7" 150lbs for reverence. The other two are on the wall at my uncles place down there and were caught by friends and family out of Guerrero as well over the years. There's some serious donkeys in that lake:

96mxaDj.jpg

JNIQ1G4.jpg

UxhbmyN.jpg
Wow.. now that's what I call some trophy bass!!!

dirtyharriett

We bought our first boat this year as well. It's note exactly for fishing; more of an insurance policy to make sure our kid and his friends want to continue to hang out with us so we can keep an eye on them, LoL

SeaRay 240 Sundeck. It's a 2004 with an OAL just shy of 27'. Has a brand new engine and outdrive that were replaced by insurance less than a year ago by the previous owner from two separate incidents. One outdrive strike on a rock and one plastic bag sucked into the engine's impeller. WInner for us right? LoL

CXcthzM.jpg

hUlwOUM.jpg

FHAElJm.jpg

0Stexwb.jpg

nyaE4p7.jpg
Nice looking setup man... very nice.

AGG

Staff member

4BF7C0y.jpg

96mxaDj.jpg

JNIQ1G4.jpg

UxhbmyN.jpg

Awesome largemouth.

Tony