What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full auto SP5

HK Guy

What is the best way to get there with a sear? MM conversion or the TSC bolt mod? Lots of legal arguing over at the 'other' site....

HK Guy

Depending on who you believe the various conversions won't hold ATF water.

MM puts on a proper 9x shelf and removes the pesky carrier block and calls it good. Some say maybe you can't do it and others say it's no different than any other 9x gun out there.

TSC makes a two piece bolt carrier where the trip can be installed after it is past the carrier block. Some say maybe it's an illegal conversion device.

I have no clue and there are smart guys on both sides of the fence. I see the merits to both, but I'm leaning towards the MM conversion. I'm guessing this is down the same "can you mark the tang" rabbit hole.

bauerdb

Contributing member
I had a SP5 with the TSC carrier and a TSC machine MP5-N SBR built on a 94. I would only recommend the 94 route. I like a factory fa carrier with no restrictions.

The reason why I don't like the MM route is that he doesn't remove the block. He just grinds in down. I wouldn't want to be in possession of that.

HK Guy

Bauerdb,

My thoughts too, I was kind of hoping that MM would come up with a letter making it ok. But I don't want to be that guy. Supposedly some of the builder guys have written letters, so we shall see...

I keep debating if I want to SBR it too? I'm wishywashy on that too....

Letzte Runde in MT

Contributing member
Depending on who you believe the various conversions won't hold ATF water.

MM puts on a proper 9x shelf and removes the pesky carrier block and calls it good. Some say maybe you can't do it and others say it's no different than any other 9x gun out there.

TSC makes a two piece bolt carrier where the trip can be installed after it is past the carrier block. Some say maybe it's an illegal conversion device.

I have no clue and there are smart guys on both sides of the fence. I see the merits to both, but I'm leaning towards the MM conversion. I'm guessing this is down the same "can you mark the tang" rabbit hole.
I couldn't agree more.
As we all know, the NFA was created to suppress, inhibit, and or otherwise Infringe Our 2nd Amendment Right.

I wouldn't trust the BTAFE, to actually care if you spend thousands of dollars converting by whichever method... then declaring all is illegal.
Best bet , is to go with what has been the proven acceptable configuration.
Unless money is no problem.

Attachments

• _20160526_163832.JPG
    _20160526_163832.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

eodinert

There is a letter saying something to the effect of 'there are several ways to make a legal semi-auto MP5 clone... you can switch a receiver from one to another as long as at no time during the conversion you make an illegal machinegun'.

It's as solid as anything ATF has ever said, which admittedly, isn't all that solid. If you're waiting for something better, it probably won't happen.

HK Guy

So would you MM do a conversion on your gun or got with the TSC bolt carrier?
There is a letter saying something to the effect of 'there are several ways to make a legal semi-auto MP5 clone... you can switch a receiver from one to another as long as at no time during the conversion you make an illegal machinegun'.

It's as solid as anything ATF has ever said, which admittedly, isn't all that solid. If you're waiting for something better, it probably won't happen.

Bestiller

I went with the TSC bolt carrier. Nothing against MM, I’m just more leery of the receiver being altered by the carrier block being grinded down. I don’t see TSC’s bolt carrier as being any different than a semi auto AR15 being sold with a full auto bolt carrier from the factory. But if ATF ends up frowning on either method, I have 3 HK94 conversions to fall back on as sear hosts.

dirtyharriett

Ahhhh... the constant joy of wondering and worrying about when the ATF will be changing their minds keeps this hobby extra exciting... NOT.

HK Guy

I went with the TSC bolt carrier. Nothing against MM, I’m just more leery of the receiver being altered by the carrier block being grinded down. I don’t see TSC’s bolt carrier as being any different than a semi auto AR15 being sold with a full auto bolt carrier from the factory. But if ATF ends up frowning on either method, I have 3 HK94 conversions to fall back on as sear hosts.
I'm soooo, in the weeds over this. I'd really like to have the MM conversion and be done with but I'm fearful of that stupid block. I think the carrier route is the most conservative way to go and if the ATF comes a knocking you are only out $600.

I guess I could just sell the stupid thing and buy a HK 94, but I like the "F" upgrades. Or I can just shoot my other hosts.... Gurrrrrrrr

eodinert

I would go with MM, or a similar conversion by anybody else that did that particular mod. The difference is semantic. I do have a sear, and an SP5, and a shit ton of other hosts that are already sear ready, but the main reason I haven't done it already is because I work overseas and just don't have time.

Are there any other builders that will put a pre-ban style shelf on an SP5, or is he the only one?

HK Guy

I would go with MM, or a similar conversion by anybody else that did that particular mod. The difference is semantic. I do have a sear, and an SP5, and a shit ton of other hosts that are already sear ready, but the main reason I haven't done it already is because I work overseas and just don't have time.

Are there any other builders that will put a pre-ban style shelf on an SP5, or is he the only one?
I talked with a couple of other builders and they aren't willing to do it without a 'letter' which I think one was trying to get.

ctyatty

Old thread - any update from technical branch on the MM conversion?