What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G3K Build?

Vinz Klortho

So I'm buying a G3 kit. Over the past couple years I've developed an entry-level hankerin' for SBRs.
This would be a prime candidate for a K build IMHO but this is covering new territory for me.
I have three SBRs, two ARs and the UMP clone which started life as a pistol.
I guess this could be my build thread...not that I'm going to "build" it. I can weld, but not neatly enough to build an HK. I'll have to find someone to shorten the barrel and weld it up.
I intend on using the handguard removed from my recent C93 purchase.
WooHoo!

Guyanaman1963

Nice! that sounds like it would be really informative.
Post your steps and lots of pics.
What receiver will you use?
I have never done a build but it really interest me and would to try it one day!
M.

Vinz Klortho

The receiver is a Gewehr Werks. I've never heard of them but that shouldn't surprise anyone as I'm no expert.

So since I'm going to SBR it I guess I'll have to have an approved Form 1 in hand before I have the barrel connected to the trunion/receiver?
I'd appreciate any legal advice anyone can offer in this regard (via PM if you're more comfortable with it) but you can post here if you want.

I wish I could weld.:(

When I SBRd my UMP I waited until approval before I bought the folding stock. This will be new to me.

ORL-LLC

The receiver is a Gewehr Werks. I've never heard of them but that shouldn't surprise anyone as I'm no expert.

So since I'm going to SBR it I guess I'll have to have an approved Form 1 in hand before I have the barrel connected to the trunion/receiver?
I'd appreciate any legal advice anyone can offer in this regard (via PM if you're more comfortable with it) but you can post here if you want.

I wish I could weld.:(

When I SBRd my UMP I waited until approval before I bought the folding stock. This will be new to me.
I recommend as you are building it from a Virgin Receiver, build it as a Pistol first.
This allows you to "Shoot the Sh1t out of it" before getting the Form-1 back.
You just can't attach a rear stock until approved.

But as E-form https://www.atf.gov/firearms/applications-eforms Form-1 are coming back in record time, it is not as much an issue.

Vinz Klortho

Embarrassing G3K question: Can a G3K clone be built from a shortened G3 barrel or does one have to buy a special fancy new barrel?

Nevermind. Google is my friend (or in this case, the bearer of bad news).

So I've been reading up on the G3K. I clearly know nothing about it. This is not going to be the simple project I thought it would be.

Last edited:

ORL-LLC

ANY BARREL will work,
you just need to Modify the Front Site Lower Hole to fit diameter of the barrel at whatever length you decide on.

Then you get to play with Locking Pieces for whatever Ammo and or Suppressor combo you would like to mostly shoot.

ORL-LLC

You need to install the Barrel,
Setup your Cocking tube
Slide the front site on.
Decide if you want the GRENADE RING (cosmetic only but I like to keep it just to Piss of the LEFT)
And measure the Barrel diameter.

HK-Front-Site.jpg

Vinz Klortho

Well "any barrel" is good news. Found an outfit called RCM that sells K barrels but, surprise surprise, they're out of stock.

Vinz Klortho

So what about the cocking tube? Is there a workaround? Can a good HK 'smith shorten/modify a full length tube?

Manofdusk

It can be done by an amateur builder. here's a couple of my recent builds. The top one is a 51SD pistol built using an HK51K barrel from HK Parts dot net with a fake suppressor. The cocking tubes are modified HK53 tubes and the cocking tube supports are modified HK33 supports. I cut my bolt carriers down to 4.140" in length and then adjust the cocking support by cutting it so it has .030" clearance with the nose of the bolt carrier when it locked. I also use a #15 locking piece from RCM. You'll then need to cut the recoil rod and spring down so it will not hit the cocking support when you lock the bolt back. It's not hard but it does take some patience as it's about an 8-10 hour build, not including the finish.
And like AGG said, Ghilliebear is the best expert to get advice from regarding your build, not me!

1FFBA487-B913-4229-940C-A60BCC7E6782.jpeg

Vinz Klortho

I appreciate the replies.
I'm going to mellow out for a while and use PMs instead of posting too much.
The kit hasn't even arrived yet.