What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK's last hunting rifle... the SLB 2000

Miami_JBT

PhotoFunia-1595521809.jpg

At the start of the 21st Century, Heckler & Koch introduced a new commercial hunting and target rifle to the shooting world. The Selbstladebüchse 2000; otherwise known and marketed as the SLB 2000 …

1wiAX65.jpg

H&K designed the rifle from the ground up to be a modular platform; users could swap barrels, accessories, and chamberings without a need to re-sight at the range. All that was needed was one screw to disassemble the entire rifle! The HK05 Scope mount from the SL6 and SL7 series was supposed to work on the rifle.

1606948800185.png

The SLB 2000 was aimed at for the new 21st Century shooter; a great rifle for a replacement for what you couldn’t have during the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban and for the folks that lived across the pond in Europe.

1606948816003.png

First introduced to the North American Market in the Fall of 2000; HK stated through marketing materials that the rifle would be able to be chambered in the following with just a barrel change:

5myrg2z.jpg

Planned release in October of 2000
.30-06 Springfield (only chambering released in the US)
7.92x57mm Mauser (8x57mm IS)
9.3x62mm Mauser
.300 Winchester Magnum

Planned release in 2001
6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser
7x64mm Brenneke
.308 Winchester

The SLB 2000 came from the factory with a two-round flush fit detachable box magazine . The company sold additional five and ten-round magazines as accessories through gun shops and parts vendors.

sdfM4BZ.jpg

The rifle was released in .30-06 Springfield for the US as a factory option. Additional magazines were released for a very short period.

Ao9mOVv.jpg

My personal SLB

XLOh812.jpg

The H&K SLB 2000 is a gas piston operated rifle with a polymer lower receiver housing. The upper receiver group is steel that has been CNC machined.

mv59X0B.jpg

The magazine release is paddle inspired by what you’d find on a H&K USP pistol and the mags have that classic H&K G3 rock in place feel to it. The bolt carrier group is a fairly simple set up: rotating bolt head with interrupter threads to act as the locking lugs. It is reciprocating in design.

mVXuySE.png

The safety is mounted on the back tang of the lower receiver group. It’s activated with simple up or down switch.

The SLB 2000 came from the factory with a robust set of iron sights. The length of pull and ability to shoulder is more than merely adequate. It isn’t a traditional long pull of a design like you find in your traditional American hunting rifles. It’s much easier to bring the gun to your shoulder for fast snap shooting at fleeing game –almost as if HK took design cues from their military products.

hUqqmtG.jpg

The rifle was a commercial flop for a number of reasons, price being the most obvious reason. H&K priced the SLB 2000 out of the market for the average gun buyer.

During the Clintonian “assault weapon” ban, buyers who wanted semi-auto rifles bought SKS Carbines, AKs, ARs, Mini-14s, FALs, and CETMEs. During the early 2000s everything listed (but the AR-15) was affordable. Like under $400 affordable.

The SLB 2000’s 10-round magazine retailed at $75 new. You could buy a thirty round pre-ban AR-15 magazine for $30 back then. A surplus pre-ban CETME/G3 mag was under $3.

9kfy82p.jpg

Marketing was another problem.

The SLB was a finely crafted European designed semi-automatic hunting rifle — not the kind of firearm you’ll find at Wal-Mart, Kmart, Sears or Sports Authority. Selling an H&K hunting rifle in FFLs catering to higher end sporting gun buyers was always going to be a heavy lift.

In the end, the much hyped caliber swap — available on today’s Blaser rifles — was a damp squib. H&K never exported additional barrels. And the rifle was not a one-screw takedown. Nor did the older HK scope mount work on the SLB 2000.

Y3smEFH.jpg

The SLB 2000 went from being a revolutionary wünderwaffen to another run-of-the-mill commercial semi-auto to compete against guns like the Remington 7400 and Browning BAR.

HK did far better in Europe with it and even released the .308 Winchester and other short action chamberings and it sold like hot cakes! Selling very well in France, Germany, and Spain among some nations that allow civilian ownership of semi-automatic rifles.

They even released a police/target package and oh what I’d wish to bring one to the USA. It had a heavier target barrel. You could mount a flashhider or suppressor. It sported a polymer stock with adjustable comb, multiple bipod attachment points, an improved trigger, multiple QD sling points, and even a fabric shield for the mirage that forms when the barrel gets hot.

IHYpoD7.jpg

H&K eventually ended production, got out of the commercial hunting market altogether, and sold the design to a friendly competitor; Merkel Jagd- und Sportwaffen GmbH of Suhl, Germany.

The design is now sold under two different lines. The Merkel SR1 and the Haenel SLB 2000+. The Merkel branded rifle is a complete redesign of the SLB 2000 and many parts and accessories don’t cross over. The Haenel branded rifle is a one to one of the HK made rifle.

2HsuRW9.jpg
3a3A6Bd.jpg

Merkel owns C.G. Haenel and both companies have been a subsidiary of the UAE company Caracal International since 2007. Though Merkel’s products are imported into the US market by Steyr Arms, Merkel has stated that they don’t see their rifle being sold here anytime soon. For a short period of time, Merkel marketed the SR1 in the US and it didn’t sell. All inventory was liquidated to CDNN and sold on the cheap back in 2008-2009. Haenel marked guns have never been brought to the US.

HDY2pSV.jpg

My SLB and post war Walther P38.

In the end, the SLB 2000 is from another time period. Where German Quality was abound in many products and not everything needed to be high speed low drag tactical. German quality of that era was exemplified in guns like SLB 2000 and this commercial Walther P38.

csmWHKE.jpg

My SLB and Danish VAR Barreled M1 Garand at the range.

In today’s market; they wouldn’t sell. But as a tangible piece from a bygone era. Even one that was only sixteen years ago. It is a fine rifle to own, shoot, and enjoy.

Last edited:

AGG

Staff member
A most excellent post, with great information and pictures, on a seldom, talked-about rifle. :oops:

Tony

Miami_JBT

A most excellent post, with great information and pictures, on a seldom, talked-about rifle. :oops:

Tony
No problem.... I have my own gun blog and did some writing for TTAG.

Miami_JBT

The scope mount was made by B-Square and is pretty hard to find these days. Originally H&K advertised that the older series of scope mounts from the 770 series would work. Well, that's not the case.

1606949844327.png

The upper receiver is made from aluminum and the lower receiver is polymer.

1606949860070.png

The magazine release is a ambidextrous paddle release much like the USP series of pistols. But the magazine itself is kind of rocked in like a G3 magazine.

1606949902328.png

The safety is a simple switch on the back of the rifle. Flip it down and it is on safe. White dot for safe/red dot for fire.

1606949931837.png

Simple V notch rear sight. The rear sight can be drifted for windage.

1606949943153.png

Pinned front blade sight. The sights themselves are pretty rugged and well made.

1606950003486.png

Here are the three magazines for it. From left to right you have a 10rd magazine, 5rd magazine, and a 2rd magazine. The rifle comes from the factory with a 2rd magazine. 2rd mags are common in Europe due to law. In France the rifle is sold with a 2rd mag on a hinged plate instead of being a detachable magazine.

1606950023775.png

Two round mag

1606950041645.png

Five round mag

Last edited:

Miami_JBT

1606950079879.png

Ten round mag

1606950114421.png

Two Round Magazine inserted into rifle. The control piece right in front of the import information is the bolt catch/release. Up to catch the bolt, down to release it. The magazine follower does lock the bolt back when empty.

1606950148897.png

Five Round Magazine inserted into rifle.

1606950161931.png

Ten Round Magazine inserted into rifle.

Miami_JBT

The one variant of the SLB 2000 that I lust for and can't get since they were never officially imported into the US by HK.

1606955800486.png

1606955811334.png

1606955819856.png

1606955828042.png

1606955837305.png

1606955851898.png

I very well might track a used one down in Europe and see the process needed to import it to the US.

Johnny

Those are before my time and I want one tbh...theres literally none for sale anywhere. Only thing on Gb currently is one 10 round mag

ENDER

Staff member
I didn't notice any in the pics - did they date code these anywhere on the weapon? Parts?

SWOH

Problem with HK seems to be they don't follow through. If you want to know how it will sell, offer it in all available choices from the beginning, not a half-assed soft rollout where folks are anticipating other options and not buying in on it until they arrive, which they never did. Hell, at least .308 should've been offered concurrently. IMO, it looks clunky as was offered, especially the mags (10 round most of all) and I like the Haenel better. What kind of accuracy can it deliver?

MMissile

If it doesn't have a "LEGO"[yup, I'm using it] usage, it seems HK just purchases other's product to test and look at the American market. With so many other domestic/better-priced/established firearms already out there. I think it's just to appease the American HK fan-boys. Let's face it..,the SL series never set the US market ablaze.

frankgoss

HK will not support hunting rifles over 20 years. 94 fan so bought 45 year old delay roller blow back. 770 was never ever fired and two springs working together( recoil and hammer[ when uncocked hammer spring] ) work against each other when cocking. Recoil pushes towards muzzle , while hammer springs is pushing up. So if you are too gentle with cocking lever , it jams after head unlocks ( third spring). Need ARMORER familiar with these fine hunting rifles.

770 series [630, 940 SL6&7] came before HK went to gas operated actions. Have Ruger mini 30 (grand action slow but never jams) BAR 7 MM REM MAG ( watch ammo for feeding) Winchester .100 .308 ,All gas, so thought 770 .308 be nice fit, but keeps jamming(delay roller blow back, like my old 94 which never jams.)

Your SL2000 ( YEAR) was a conversion that HK made from delay roller blow backs. Roller blow backs delay were very fast firing systems. Say 650 rounds per min. over 1 per second! But rollers wear out and parts difficult to get . AMERICANS did not want to pay HK prices for hunting rifles and we all know what happen to American dollar in 1980's. in the sxxx can!

Attachments

• OIP (6).jpeg
    OIP (6).jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 3

AGG

Staff member
HK will not support hunting rifles over 20 years. 94 fan so bought 45 year old delay roller blow back. 770 was never ever fired and two springs working together( recoil and hammer[ when uncocked hammer spring] ) work against each other when cocking. Recoil pushes towards muzzle , while hammer springs is pushing up. So if you are too gentle with cocking lever , it jams after head unlocks ( third spring). Need ARMORER familiar with these fine hunting rifles.

770 series [630, 940 SL6&7] came before HK went to gas operated actions. Have Ruger mini 30 (grand action slow but never jams) BAR 7 MM REM MAG ( watch ammo for feeding) Winchester .100 .308 ,All gas, so thought 770 .308 be nice fit, but keeps jamming(delay roller blow back, like my old 94 which never jams.)

Your SL2000 ( YEAR) was a conversion that HK made from delay roller blow backs. Roller blow backs delay were very fast firing systems. Say 650 rounds per min. over 1 per second! But rollers wear out and parts difficult to get . AMERICANS did not want to pay HK prices for hunting rifles and we all know what happen to American dollar in 1980's. in the sxxx can!

Interesting. :unsure:

Tony

frankgoss

Well HK does not support the SBL 2000 , so I tried to bid on a MERKEL SR1 Used Merkel may support it. My only concern was in .223 rem. Just liked the looks! Have two semi- auto in .308 on in 7 mm rem mag and one in 7.62×39. I thing all basis are covered has two in 30.06 just kick a little should have kept. So the Merkel is a take down SBL 2000,, but plenty if cheep ammo. Does any HK proshop have any experience with HK SLB 2000's, understand they were closed out in 2010 or so, didnt sell well. Looked like less expensive BAR's. Found some in $800- $1000 used price ranges, lower than BAR and BAR never has .223 rem!

frankgoss

I gave up and bought a Benelli R1 in 30.06 for $969 NIB with 10 years warrantee. Merkel Sr1 were going big bucks. Have BAR in rem mag , but liked the brake down guns. Have Benelli shotguns and never an issue. No so for HK 770 but we are getting there. Wanted BAR in 30.06 but 7 mm used was only $880. HAVE TWO other semi rifles. JUST CONCERN WITH HK warrantee and parts. Will hold HK770 as investment gun . NIB $4500.00

AGG

Staff member
I gave up and bought a Benelli R1 in 30.06 for $969 NIB with 10 years warrantee. Merkel Sr1 were going big bucks. Have BAR in rem mag , but liked the brake down guns. Have Benelli shotguns and never an issue. No so for HK 770 but we are getting there. Wanted BAR in 30.06 but 7 mm used was only $880. HAVE TWO other semi rifles. JUST CONCERN WITH HK warrantee and parts. Will hold HK770 as investment gun . NIB $4500.00

Congratulations on the newest acquisition. ;)

Tony

James

Congratulations on the newest acquisition. ;)

Tony
A couple years ago I bought an slb 2000 30 06 carbine new in the box. I scoped it up and was going to use it this year hunting whitetails. Should I shoot it or leave it unfired. Does anyone have a value on it . I bought it because I had never seen one and like the looks of it.thanks for the help