What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P2000 hammer spur removal

Tom69876

I apologies if this has been asked. But I am not able to find any information to my question. I am a proud owner of the HK P2000 V3 model, chambered in 40s&w. I love everything about this pistol, except the hammer. I'd rather not change the variant, but being a larger guy, I am not a fan of the hammer spur.
Has anyone attempted to Dremel/cut off the spur, and had any reliability issues? I know this may be a dumb question, but I just have a concern over the weight of the hammer changing, thus resulting in possible light primer striking issues. Replacing the spurred hammer for the Bobbed would likely be the obvious choice, but availability is few and far between at the moment. Well, unless I want to pay double, and contribute to price gouging.
I carry this weapon roughly 90% of the time, and love it. But the love would improve even more, if that spur was gone.

Thank you.

AGG

Staff member
Welcome to the site--- not aware of anyone doing this, so be patient for a response. ;)

Tony

Last edited:

Tom69876

Thank you very much. I am glad I found the sight. I had stumbled on it when checking into the possibilities of changing Variants. It's great seeing others enjoy HK's as much as I do.

Brasky68

Hey Tom,

One important item to note: I am fairly certain there is no factory bobbed hammer option for the P2K V3.

The only factory bobbed hammer I know of for the P2K is the (Hammer + cocking piece + spring) LEM Hammer Assy which is not interchangeable with the V3 P2K.

As for taking a dremmel to the gun and bobbing it yourself/having a gunsmith do it, I’m sure you will find a whole host of mixed opinions/reviews/schools of thought on the efficacy of this modification. Revolver guys have been arguing for decades whether or not removing mass from the hammer affects reliability.

At the end of the day my only advice would be, do your research, consider the pros and cons, and make a decision that’s best for you.

Or buy a V2 and have one of each!

-Brasky

Tom69876

Hey Tom,

One important item to note: I am fairly certain there is no factory bobbed hammer option for the P2K V3.

The only factory bobbed hammer I know of for the P2K is the (Hammer + cocking piece + spring) LEM Hammer Assy which is not interchangeable with the V3 P2K.

As for taking a dremmel to the gun and bobbing it yourself/having a gunsmith do it, I’m sure you will find a whole host of mixed opinions/reviews/schools of thought on the efficacy of this modification. Revolver guys have been arguing for decades whether or not removing mass from the hammer affects reliability.

At the end of the day my only advice would be, do your research, consider the pros and cons, and make a decision that’s best for you.

Or buy a V2 and have one of each!

-Brasky
Thank you very much for your reply. And many thanks for letting me know about the Bobbed hammer that is typically designed for the V2 models. I think I will plan on bobbing my current hammer, and keep my fingers crossed. If worse comes to worse, the spurred hammer is much easier to find. I do have a few days working out of town, before I am able to enjoy bonding time with my Dremel back home. So maybe this will allow the opportunity to possibly hear from someone who has experience in attempting this idea.
As far as the V2 purchase, it is definitely on my radar. I had found a V2 SK 40 s&w model the other day, but was reluctant when seeing the asking price of nearly $900. It seemed a bit steep considering the V3 models are within the $700 range. Hopefully I don't end up regretting the miss.

Tom69876

I just wanted to update the thread, in the event this could help others, who may be curious. After taking a few stabs deep into the hammer Spur, I had realized the majority of it is rubber. Although not completely flush (as seen on the LEM model), I was able to Dremel down enough of the Spur, to eliminate the discomfort of the padding stuck between my skin, and that hidden muscle😉. One benefit I found, this still leaves plenty to thumb back for a SA shot (for those who desire).
It's not the prettiest, but my sitting gut now approves..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211112-223236.png
    Screenshot_20211112-223236.png
    437.1 KB · Views: 12

AGG

Staff member
I just wanted to update the thread, in the event this could help others, who may be curious. After taking a few stabs deep into the hammer Spur, I had realized the majority of it is rubber. Although not completely flush (as seen on the LEM model), I was able to Dremel down enough of the Spur, to eliminate the discomfort of the padding stuck between my skin, and that hidden muscle😉. One benefit I found, this still leaves plenty to thumb back for a SA shot (for those who desire).
It's not the prettiest, but my sitting gut now approves..

Thanks for the update--- not bad. ;)

Tony

Tom69876

Could a USP Compacts Bobbed hammer be used to convert a P2000 to bobbed hammer??
Just a question??
The results look pretty good from here @Tom69876

And Welcome to the Forum BTW
Unfortunately it can't. Their appears to be a significant difference in the hole for the hammer connector pin (might not be the correct name). But with the Dremel job I did, it is definitely much more comfortable. If I end up doing anything more, I will likely go for the entire LEM conversion, which would provide the Bobbed hammer.
And thank you for the welcome. I am happy I have manage to find this group.

Hk-USPC-40

I Love This Forum Too!!
They have tolerated my $#!+isms
I missed out on a V3 P2000 357 SIG about a week ago for $650, IT'S GONE!! Aaaaahhhhh!!
Got bought, The manager I went to High School with told me they would have held it for ME
Could have puttin it on layaway too
One of those moves that makes you kick yourself in the @$$
+ I have 10 magazines for the 40/357 P2000/USPc
& a half dozen holsters too

What was I thinking??? I thought no one else would even notice it or buy it because of the caliber
I WAS WRONG

To make up for that stupid move I am going to just order a 357 SIG Barrel for my Pair of USP Compact 40s
Of Course the vendor will be out of them by the time I order one = a Week After Black Friday

In the meantime I found a NEW S&W SD9 FDE for $285 & Relieved it from that case

60x60Avatar SD9FDE.jpg Same one I was looking in when I saw My two other HK USPc40s

Congrats on the P2000 V3 40 Tom & Bobbing of it's hammer to fit your needs
Looks Great BTW
Gary/Hk

Hk-USPC-40

FEEL THAT?
The way the $#!+ Clings to the Air
OIP.jpg
You'll Soon Feel it Too My Good Friend

Don't Curse or @AGG aka Tonos will BEAT BAN you with the hammer
o_O Isn't Tonos an Ancient Greek Music of some kind
What a GR8 Alias for Hk Pro
Tonos The All Knowing

Last edited:

Hk-USPC-40

I would imagine that if a LEM hammer was used with DA/SA parts you would have a Full Auto Pistol
If a P2000 was converted to V1 or LEM would the decocker get removed leaving a hole in the rear of the frame slide?

Still kicking myself for letting that V3 P2000 357 SIG get away for $650

If it where mine I would just leave well enough alone & shoot & carry it AS IS..

Back On Topic = P2000 Hammer Spur Removal
Hk USP Compact HKProShop.jpg

TooSixy

Disabled/Inactive
Could a USP Compacts Bobbed hammer be used to convert a P2000 to bobbed hammer??
Just a question??
The results look pretty good from here @Tom69876

And Welcome to the Forum BTW

I'd also bet a USPc hammer could be used with a spacer made from the sleeve of the same or any USP
BUT Maybe not
Need @TooSixy
Negative. They are 2 different hammers and cannot be used interchangeably.