What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preban SIG rifles

MMissile

I had a near-terminal case of the SIGness, back in the 80's/early 90's. If it was imported, I had it. I also had some that really weren't. Here's an old one. First 550-sniper imported into the USA. It went thru the BATFE evaluation process, and had no import-marks[the only one]. I believe 14 legit/complete rifles were imported. It was a convoluted process to get everything in country. All the optics, bi-pod, case, and accessories were imported after approval. If rejected, there would have been a bunch of wasted money on duties and taxes. It was a year-long process. All the money was paid up-front for the pkg. That particular rifle was serial #85. The mirage band was never attached, as it was elastic and I didn't want to stretch it out. I let everybody shoot this rifle when I was at the range. The look on people's faces, was worth the price of admission.

000_1542.jpg000_1545.jpg000_1547.jpg

Last edited:

MMissile

Here's a couple pics of my PE57. It was unfired. I always acquired as many related items available to a particular rifle. I had lots of stuff associated with the 57.

100_1966.jpg100_1969.jpg

100_4190.jpg

Last edited:

MMissile

Then there was the predecessor to the AMT, the 510-4. These were sent for evaluation to the BATFE in the 60's[made to fire semi-auto]. The AMT was the result of BATFE neutering. This version is SCARCE. The scope-mount and optic were the military version. This is the only known scope and mount in the USA. The bayonet was serial-numbered to the rifle. The mags were also slightly different. Chile was the primary military country to use this rifle, as well as some Middle-Eastern countries
.sig 510 in action.jpg

post SIG 510 in snow-2.jpg

Last edited:

MMissile

I know I had at least 6-8 AMT's. These rifles [as well as all 510 series rifles] use a delayed-roller system of fire, similar to the 90-series HK. It is far more robust [the rollers are 5-6 times the size of a HK] and like all Swiss stuff....nothing compares for quality and appearance. These rifles were semi-auto, only. They no longer accepted rifle grenades, as the barrels were lathe-turned to remove the flash-hider and launching lugs. However, they were threaded, and only the SIG imported late guns seemed to have a flash-hider. The front sight also didn't accept the clip-on grenade-launching sight. The optional and very rare optic, was a 4X Dr. Wohler unit, that only fit the AMT. Supposedly, only 100 units of the optic/mount were made/sold. I had a NOS 510-4 barrel and front sight-tower and bayonet lug installed into the last AMT I owned. It's pictured below.

005.JPG006.JPG008.JPG020.JPG015.JPG001.JPG014.JPG

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

MMissile

Another of the "not-imported" rifles was the semi-auto/Euro-market, SIG-Manurhin C.S.A. Originally constructed for military export as the 542 in 7.62X51, about 100 units were built in semi-auto, non-military .243-Winchester for the Euro market. These were being built when the Manurhin facility in France was being closed-up. I managed to get an example, as well as gather the factory bits to make it appear as a 542. I also managed to get 2 of the original 4X Hensoldt "SG542" marked optics for the rifle. Larry Vickers bought this unit from me, as well as my PE57. Built prior....The 540-542 lineage to the 90-series/550-series, is quite obvious. One neat detail not carried to the 90-series......is a window in the receiver to show fire position selected.

000_1432.jpg

post sig542.jpg000_1429.jpg000_1433.jpg000_1430.jpg

Attachments

• post SIG 540-542-543 lit.jpg
    post SIG 540-542-543 lit.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1
  • sig 542 manual.jpg
    sig 542 manual.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

MMissile

The baby-brother, with the same story.....SIG-Manurhin F.S.A.
I still own this rifle, and it's had a 5.56 barrel installed in place of the original .222 caliber for Euro market.

post sig540.jpgSIG 540 at DA.jpg101_1576.jpg

MMissile

I found this group shot of a few of the rifles. Some were always on display at my FFL's shop....so never together. I also have to dig thru my old 35mm pictures. I have a picture of one of my safes, with 5, 550's and 3, 551's in it. I had the SIGness.

below L to R.... 510-4, AMT, PE90, 551, FSA/540, CSA/542

000_0872.JPG

MMissile

The Swiss are insane, when it comes to making nice stuff. The factory cases, are gorgeous....and true luggage quality.

100_1233.jpg100_1228.jpg100_1232.jpg

Last edited:

MMissile

It's truly sad, how many great things I've owned over the years....and didn't document most of the stuff till I was selling it, or it's on pictures that I don't have a clue where they are. The transition to digital and not getting a computer till the early 2000's, caused a lot of lost info and images.

dirtyharriett

I had a near-terminal case of the SIGness, back in the 80's/early 90's. If it was imported, I had it. I also had some that really weren't. Here's an old one. First 550-sniper imported into the USA. It went thru the BATFE evaluation process, and had no import-marks[the only one]. I believe 14 legit/complete rifles were imported. It was a convoluted process to get everything in country. All the optics, bi-pod, case, and accessories were imported after approval. If rejected, there would have been a bunch of wasted money on duties and taxes. It was a year-long process. All the money was paid up-front for the pkg. That particular rifle was serial #85. The mirage band was never attached, as it was elastic and I didn't want to stretch it out. I let everybody shoot this rifle when I was at the range. The look on people's faces, was worth the price of admission.

View attachment 400View attachment 401View attachment 402
That is freaking amazing...

dirtyharriett

That was the most incredible collection of SIG rifles I have ever seen. I've always wanted to shoot some of those rifles but I've never seen one in person... let alone got to handle one. That is one thing I hate about the high end aspect of this hobby. So much stuff has to be purchased just to get to handle it. I might like a SIG 550 series better than my B&T APC223's but I will probably never get to find out. Soooo freaking frustrating. I was just about ready to post a thread on another forum specifically asking if anyone had ever owned both rifles and could compare the two. I know the 550's are like the Rolexes of AK like design. The only thing I see I prefer otherwise is the ejection port side charging handle. I think that is the only thing that has kept me from just getting one to try out. They usually run at least 5k so it isn't a purchase I wanted to just jump into without knowing more. I also prefer a rail on top but I have seen that some of the newer versions have that now. IF it were not for what is coming... I would probably start thinking bad thoughts about getting one of those ASAP. MMissile... I can see already looking at your pics is going to be potentially hazardous to our bank accounts... what's left of them.

MMissile

I was so deep into buying those things, I'd take a NIB 550, PE90, AMT, whatever....and just shoot for fun[it never caused a loss]. I was paying 5K apiece for preban 550's in 1990. Paying 8-10K for some of the rae ones, made my friend's heads hurt. LOL! I bought all of them as investments, and it worked out marvelously. The same people who thought I was nuts for paying big loot for guns, have all freaked-out after seeing my 20-year return. The difference between a Swiss SIG and an HK long gun...is almost the same as the difference between a HK and an AK. Especially the 510-series rifles. Absolute pieces of art and mechanical marvels. The firearms being made now, no longer reflect the pride and engineering of those from Switzerland 30-50 years ago. Now, it's all just injection-molded parts and bean-counting quality.[damn the form, just need function] The biggest difference between collecting old SIGs and Hk's is.......having money, won't always find you the rare SIG stuff. Some of these are literally less than a handful around. I could never find or afford this stuff again.
I dig all the crazy tactical stuff out there, but don't see the money for what's being put into them. I had just about anything SIG that could be had/found. I made some great friends and met many interesting characters. I even had a contact who had a friend in the Swiss-Army, who got me stuff from the Swiss military as far as uniform stuff and small equipment.
I still like messing with the HK long-guns, and think they have always had the best pistols and subguns. In my mind, I think modern Sigarms stuff is about equal to the "best of the rest", of the moderately priced stuff on the market. I personally like CZ stuff a bunch more than modern Sig....though they're getting pretty proud of their stuff, since Angus came on board.

100b1941.jpg000_1554.jpg

Last edited:

dirtyharriett

Well now I also know where all of the 550 series magazines have gone... lol. Man you no doubt had the best collection of SIG of that nature in the states... maybe the world for that matter. I have not done well with guns as investments. I've never really tried and at today's prices and with the changing laws... I would be too scared to even think about it. The only time I made any real money off a firearm was selling my semi M2HB. I got over 13k for it along with some accessories and a little ammo. I also made some decent coin when I sold my semi 1919.. but not nearly as much. I cringe to even think how much money this hobby has cost me. I passed enough to buy a nice house a LONG time ago. It is definitely not a hobby for the faint of heart... and I don't have near the cash flow I had years ago... Obama made sure of that. If I did not already have what I have now... I definitely would not start over... couldn't afford to in this economy.

MMissile

Yeah, Obama....GRRRRRRRR. Nobody collects anything, since his living in the Great-House. You have so many things that I drool over, but can no longer afford. You buy with your heart, and for fun. I've never had a bunch of money, just stuff that would become money....hopefully.

Last edited:

AGG

Staff member

View attachment 400View attachment 401View attachment 402

Gorgeous--- I remember this. :)

Tony

AGG

Staff member
I know I had at least 6-8 AMT's. These rifles [as well as all 510 series rifles] use a delayed-roller system of fire, similar to the 90-series HK. It is far more robust [the rollers are 5-6 times the size of a HK] and like all Swiss stuff....nothing compares for quality and appearance. These rifles were semi-auto, only. They no longer accepted rifle grenades, as the barrels were lathe-turned to remove the flash-hider and launching lugs. However, they were threaded, and only the SIG imported late guns seemed to have a flash-hider. The front sight also didn't accept the clip-on grenade-launching sight. The optional and very rare optic, was a 4X Dr. Wohler unit, that only fit the AMT. Supposedly, only 100 units of the optic/mount were made/sold. I had a NOS 510-4 barrel and front sight-tower and bayonet lug installed into the last AMT I owned. It's pictured below.

View attachment 408View attachment 409View attachment 414View attachment 415View attachment 412View attachment 413View attachment 411

Excellent--- I have confirmed: ;)

Quakerneck Gun Exchange (Fayetteville, North Carolina)

- Roger Glen Barnes (owner)
- probably no import license and purchased remaining the inventory of SIG AMT’s from The Benet Arms Co., Inc. (QUACKERNECK plate over “Benet Arms/S.F., Cal./94-4079”)

Also, if you want to send me the 5- and 10-round magazines, then please feel free to do so. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tony

AGG

Staff member
Another of the "not-imported" rifles was the semi-auto/Euro-market, SIG-Manurhin C.S.A. Originally constructed for military export as the 542 in 7.62X51, about 100 units were built in semi-auto, non-military .243-Winchester for the Euro market. These were being built when the Manurhin facility in France was being closed-up. I managed to get an example, as well as gather the factory bits to make it appear as a 542. I also managed to get 2 of the original 4X Hensoldt "SG542" marked optics for the rifle. Larry Vickers bought this unit from me, as well as my PE57. Built prior....The 540-542 lineage to the 90-series/550-series, is quite obvious. One neat detail not carried to the 90-series......is a window in the receiver to show fire position selected.

View attachment 423

View attachment 416View attachment 417View attachment 418View attachment 419

Beautiful sample--- rare brochure and manual--- and even rarer scope and mount. ;)

Tony