What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RE: Swing down lower question.....

Brad4065

Hey Guys!!!!

Allow me to preface this with, I've asked this before, but cannot remember the rationale behind the answers received.
The question, for those that are far more knowledgeable than me:

Is it possible to LEGALLY create {for example} an MP5 9mm, with a swing down lower, BUT in semi auto only?
If so, what do I need to watch? If not, PLEASE tell me why?
I know, I know, I know.......I'm showing my ignorance.

Would greatly appreciate the advice/input. I want to go down the road of an MP5 build.....just for me....not for resale.
This whole "shut down/quarantine of society".....well.....I need to work, if even just for me!! We're moving toward the cold season
and I'll go stir crazy!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance and CHEERS!!!!! 😉

ETA: No......I've never built one, thus the reason I'm asking first.

PS Mods....if this is in the wrong spot, please guide me in the right direction. Thanks again.....LOVE what you've created!!!!!

ghoulardi

Honestly, I never saw a reason for a swing down trigger housing, if you just go past the "oh, ahhhhh that's "kewl" I want one like that" that a lot of people have about it, when you disassemble the gun for cleaning it just makes it simpilier to pull out one pin at the rear and take the trigger housing off the shelf

Brad4065

Honestly, I never saw a reason for a swing down trigger housing, if you just go past the "oh, ahhhhh that's kewl I want one like that" that a lot of people have about it, when you disassemble the gun for cleaning it just makes it simpilier to pull out one pin at the rear and take the trigger housing off the shelf
Thank you for your input. However, before I could even afford ANY HK, I conducted a lot of cleaning on, specifically HK MP5's, all of which were swing down lowers.

Fast forward to the point that I could actually afford to handle my own, buy one, take it apart and clean my own.....the first embarrassing thing I did in getting ready
to clean the clone MP5, was to take out the rear pin, swing down the lower and watching the lower drop into the floor, because the front pins were faked.
<sigh> Granted that was quite some time ago, but I always liked the swing down lowers.

AGG

Staff member
@Brad4065

This is good a place as any--- and there are no ignorant questions here--- this site is for knowledge. :giggle:
This will answer any questions that you may have--- specifically, the section entitled, "The Receiver: Where It All Begins": :)

The only "grandfathered" rifles (receivers) with the "special hole" were the G3 (3/62) and HK41 (11/65, 4/66, 5/66, and 6/66)--- true “MGpush pin/swing down lowers (hole through the magazine release on the “extendedtrigger pack housing--- but the shelves were added to permit only semi-automatic firing--- no HK94's like this. ;)

Tony

Manofdusk

Moore Advanced Design, MAD, built some semiauto MAD51's that had a swing down lower. It had a pin hole for the trigger group AND a semiauto shelf welded to the receiver. An UNmodified full auto trigger pack will not allow the swing down trigger housing to close.
Now, whether this was BATFE approved, I can not tell you but, I bought one of the receivers off of gunbroker a few months back.67BCBB11-745A-415F-9414-74CFE7A16C43.jpegB7920886-C9FB-44F9-9952-2F5F72C90B7B.jpegC17704DD-FDF3-4F2A-B33A-426CF39B46E0.jpeg8B34427D-2450-4A5B-9B12-FE518B934CB3.jpeg

Nehalem Man

Both of my MKEs utilize the front push pin but even they do not have a true "swing down" lower because of the shelf welded to the back of the magazine housing.

-E-

Brad4065

@Brad4065

This is good a place as any--- and there are no ignorant questions here--- this site is for knowledge. :giggle:
This will answer any questions that you may have--- specifically, the section entitled, "The Receiver: Where It All Begins": :)

The only "grandfathered" rifles (receivers) with the "special hole" were the G3 (3/62) and HK41 (11/65, 4/66, 5/66, and 6/66)--- true “MGpush pin/swing down lowers (hole through the magazine release on the “extendedtrigger pack housing--- but the shelves were added to permit only semi-automatic firing--- no HK94's like this. ;)

Tony
Thanks Tony!!!!!!!

It's very informative and very much appreciate your knowledge/assistance !!!!!!

Brad4065

Moore Advanced Design, MAD, built some semiauto MAD51's that had a swing down lower. It had a pin hole for the trigger group AND a semiauto shelf welded to the receiver. An UNmodified full auto trigger pack will not allow the swing down trigger housing to close.
Now, whether this was BATFE approved, I can not tell you but, I bought one of the receivers off of gunbroker a few months back.View attachment 5049View attachment 5050View attachment 5051View attachment 5052
That's NICE!!!!!!.....and what I'm trying to do, legally in 9mm

So is it a swing down lower semi-auto?