What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SIG 550/551 BARREL CHANGEOUT PROCEDURE

larryccf

Contributing member
YOU'LL need a few tools, first the receiver clamping shell to keep the receiver from moving in the vise - i lined it with some silicone self-fusing tape, no adhesive but increases the grip on the receiver
2nd, a decent barrel wrench - i made mine from a 2"x36"x3/4" bar of 4130 chromium-molybdenum alloy steel, I cut about a 5" of the bar off, then clamping the 5" pc on top of the 31" remaining pc, edge on edge, bored thru the two pcs at the same time for the two 3/8" grade 8 bolts. I went with a 31" handle length as the last 1/8 of a turn on the barrel is a b***h and i wanted to be able to control it easily, in lining up the two rods

two straight 1/4" square rods, 7 - 8" in length. the rear side of one straight edge i painted white and i used that one on the front sight /gas block - it makes it easier to see if you're perfectly lined up when the black rear rod has totaly block the front straight edge or vice versa

The instructions are in the pdf attachment, and fairly fred flintstone written

I'd review the pictures first then read the instructions - they'll make more sense

When i watched the swiss army armourer do the barrel changeout, i realized what i had seen at the sig factory - a technician was at a granite table, or the table top was granite & about 4" thick, and there were openings on 6" squares, with the chamber end of a number of barrels protruding thru from underneath, and the technician was using a vertical dial indicator to measure how much barrel protruded thru the granite table surface, so he was basically quality controling the amount of barrel that would be threaded

anyway, if anything is not clear, ask away, if i can answer i will

Attachments

• 1A  SIG550 clamps opened showing red silicone self fusing tape - Copy.jpg
    1A SIG550 clamps opened showing red silicone self fusing tape - Copy.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 28
  • 2 SIG 550 bbl w wrench before removing.jpg
    2 SIG 550 bbl w wrench before removing.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 24
  • #3 sig 551 bbl installation view from rear.jpg
    #3 sig 551 bbl installation view from rear.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 2A SIG550 bbl w wrench close up #2.jpg
    2A SIG550 bbl w wrench close up #2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 27
  • bbl wrench blueprint.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • SIG 550 series barrel changeout procedure.pdf
    286.6 KB · Views: 20
  • sig 551 bbl installation view from rear.jpg
    sig 551 bbl installation view from rear.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 26
  • SIG 551 bbl installation view showing proper alignment.jpg
    SIG 551 bbl installation view showing proper alignment.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

larryccf

Contributing member
APPARENTLY I'M only allowed 8 attachment files to a post, here are the rest

Attachments

• SIG 551 bbl installation.jpg
    SIG 551 bbl installation.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 17
  • SIG550 bbl w wrench close up.jpg
    SIG550 bbl w wrench close up.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 17

larryccf

Contributing member
the most important aspect of that changeout - the SIG 550/551 barrels screwing in to a pont where they are "self-headspace" was only achieved because the barrel and trunion threads are timed

ctyatty

thanks for the 55X info / been sourcing a few hard to find parts -
dust cover & plastic rivets / charging handle tips -
these poly pieces after a certain number of years crap out - so nice to get mine back in shape.

JoshNC

thanks for the 55X info / been sourcing a few hard to find parts -
dust cover & plastic rivets / charging handle tips -
these poly pieces after a certain number of years crap out - so nice to get mine back in shape.

The dust covers and rivets can be ordered from JDI. Just a heads up, if back ordering it could be 18 months before you receive them. And don’t order multiple different items, because Dave holds your order to ship when all items are in stock.

ctyatty

The dust covers and rivets can be ordered from JDI. Just a heads up, if back ordering it could be 18 months before you receive them. And don’t order multiple different items, because Dave holds your order to ship when all items are in stock.
I got mine from Switzerland