What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USPc conversions

Deputydave

So back in March of this year I traded for an HK USPc 9mm. Had night sights and two mags. I don't recall what I traded but it was a good trade in my favor. First USPc I've ever owned or fired. As expected, it was exceptional. I very much like a hammer-fired DA/SA pistol.

49629074827_2fd5b19cf2_z.jpg

About a month later, April, I was chatting with someone online locally that offered me a barely used complete 40 S&W upper. I didn't know at the time the upper could simply be swapped but was pleasantly surprised. So I purchased it and added new night sights. So a bit of time went by and I was chatting about the pistol on Florida Shooter's Network and a guy I know from there and Glock Talk suggested I get a 357sig barrel from RCM. He said he's had very good experiences with the company. So I took a look and the barrel was $175. I decided to go ahead and get the barrel in July and make the platform into a 3-n-1 pistol.

50170307716_f2c7f050cf_z.jpg

So the USPc in the photo has the 40 S&W slide, RCM 357sig barrel in the middle and 9mm slide on the bottom.

Extremely impressed with how it shot, particularly with the 40 S&W and 357sig barrels. Recoil was exceptionally manageable and I was thoroughly impressed all the way around. Accuracy was outstanding.

I had planned to buy a Gen 5 Glock 23 when they came out but after shooting the USPc I lost all interest in the Glock 23.5. The weight and specs are fairly the same on both pistols but the HK was specifically designed for 40 S&W so to me it is the inherently stronger platform.

Hk-USPC-40

First off I have been a member at GT since I first found it? Unsure how long really.
I've had a 17L 24 26.3 26.4 19.2 17.3RTF2 & still crave a 43
Haven't thought about the Gen5s except for the 19X
I had heard the gen5 40s would be the size of the 45s/10s & holsters wouldn't work

You prefer the 40Hk over the 9mm, That's interesting as most are turned off my the recoil of the 40S&W round
I gotta go lay down, Been up since 4:30am it's 11:30pm now.. Tired..
Picked up my Christmas Hk today = My 2nd Hk-USPC-40

Deputydave

First off I have been a member at GT since I first found it? Unsure how long really.

A tad over 22 years. I joined in February of 1999 and I'm member #240 I think out of like 150k+. They've had a lot of issues with hacking, spam and trolls over the years.

Haven't thought about the Gen5s except for the 19X

Yep, 19X is the only Glock I've ever purchased new in a gun shop. I've bought a lot of Glocks new/unfired from private owners at very good prices but the 19X is the only new one from a shop. And only because it was below blue label pricing. I've since traded for a couple of more so I have a total of three. The reason is that they are strictly HD pistols. The high capacity of 19+1 means that my wife, hopefully, won't need to reload. She can reload but has some issues that flair up occasionally that could make it difficult for her. So I've stacked the deck as much in her favor as I can with those three pistols. I have one in strategic spots around the house that she can get to because sometimes she isn't able to just rush from one end of the house to the other.

The 19X is a solid, serviceable pistol. I like the capacity and I like that the finger grooves have been removed. I was never comfortable with the finger grooves on the Gen 3 and 4 compact and subcompacts. Full size is okay. Also have a G19.5FS and G22.4 that also has a 9mm conversion barrel. I keep it in 40 S&W.

I had heard the gen5 40s would be the size of the 45s/10s & holsters wouldn't work

I'm hearing that it depends on the holster. But yes, the slide is thicker to make up for them going back to a 2-pin design. Time will tell whether or not it was a good design decision. Apparently the Brazilian test models shot 10K rounds without issue so maybe it will be fine. But honestly, for me, it came down to a choice between the Glock 23.5 or the USPc. I'm not a fan boy for any brand but the USPc just made more sense. It was designed for 40 S&W, it's hammer-fired, has a manual thumb safety and is DA/SA. These are all factors I prefer over a striker-fired pistol. So seeing how a Gen 5 G23 and the USPc were fairly identical in weight and thickness the USPc is the one I have and I've lost interest in the Glock.

40 cal is my choice for USP's. It was designed to be a 40,

Exactly! So while the Glock is 'probably' going to be fine in the Gen 5 flavor...I KNOW the USPc is fine in 40 S&W :)

That's interesting as most are turned off my the recoil of the 40S&W round

The recoil in that USPc with 40 S&W or 357sig is really, to me, quite pleasant. I've always liked the 40 S&W caliber since it came out. Not because I think it's head-n-shoulders above any other service caliber, just because I like it. In truth, I don't think any service caliber from 9mm to 45acp is ballistically better in terms of terminal ballistics than any other service caliber when using modern ammunition. So I'm fine with 9mm or 45acp or anything in between. And I like them all for different reasons.

And I do like a 40 S&W platform because usually with just a barrel change you can convert it to two other calibers. I like that versatility.

Hk-USPC-40

Nice acquisitions--- Variant 1 is my preference.
Both of mine are Variant 1 & would think that most are
I like to have the ability to put the pistol in safe if I fired a round with the hammer cocked & to decock if I want
I always thought that the 2nd blued USPc40 was a AC date code but I was mistaken
It's an AD date code = 2003 & the 10 round magazines are marked US Pat.5,568,696
All my other 10 round magazines are marked pat.pend. & .40C the 12 rounders are marked .40 Compact & Made in Germany
Both Pistols are marked Pat.Pend. which is very cool to me as my Mother's name was Pat, actually Patty Ann, She went by Pat

Hk-USPC-40

Deputydave share the pictures & info of how you put the 9mm USP Compact's barrel in the USPc40's slide & how that worked out.
I still wanna know the difference in the outside diameter of the 9mm barrel & the 40/357's, It's not much but noticeable
I dream of making my own conversion 9mm barrel with a sleeve & a factory 9mm barrel + a 9mm USPc magazine
Or just buy a 9mm USPc Upper to go on my USPc40s or parts kit or a whole pistol if you can find one that is.

Should be happy with what I've got & buy a SIG P365 or a Glock 43 for deep concealment

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Deputydave

Deputydave share the pictures & info of how you put the 9mm USP Compact's barrel in the USPc40's slide & how that worked out.

Here is the normal 9mm barrel in the 9mm slide of the USPc:

50157219567_5cbd36e804_z.jpg

Here is the 9mm barrel in the 40 S&W slide:

50157219547_6c84d43164_z.jpg

And as a comparison, here is the 40 S&W barrel in the 40 S&W slide:

50157219567_5cbd36e804_z.jpg

So obviously there is a lot of room with a 9mm barrel in a 40 S&W slide. The 9mm can be shot in a 40 S&W slide. Accuracy is 'okay' overall but I'd get 2-3 fairly tight shots and then a flyer. Rinse and repeat. Definitely not as accurate as being in it's own 9mm slide or the normal 40 S&W in it's slide. But it can be done.

Deputydave

HK Thread

Page 6 of the above thread has a couple of pics of the P2000 9mm in a 40 slide for anyone interested. Like the USPc I commented on above, it a 9mm barrel can be used in a 40S&W slide. Accuracy would need to be checked.

Hk-USPC-40

Deputydave do you have access to a caliper to measure the outside difference between the 9mm & 40 barrel on the tubular area
I guess I'm trying to figure out if a 9mms barrel can be sleeved to make a 100% conversion barrel while using the 40s slide
I know that 9mm conversion barrels are or where available for some of the HKs
Currently 40 S&W is easier to find for sale than 9mm, But I haven't seen any ammo on a shelf anywhere
There's a Bass Pro Shop a mile away & the shelves are totally bare except for some goofy rounds like 45/70 Government

I'm down to 122 40 S&W Rounds that aren't currently already in magazines & only have 20 hollow point rounds left in my stash
Nein Magazines.JPG
Should Have Stacked em Deep..
Magazines are easier to find than bullets & they are all but gone or overpriced as well..
I have one more magazine coming (y) + Availability of six more 10-16

Stay Safe out there & Carry every time you leave the house or wear one @ home & have one in the shower too
I have a handgun on a magnet under this table right here = M&P Bodyguard 380 & a Fobus to clip it on

S&W M&P Bodyguard.jpgBodyguard Fobus.jpg
This little gun doesn't weigh squat & eats a Glock 42s Lunch

Last edited:

Deputydave

I don’t have any calipers, but your thought is interesting.

Deputydave

Photo with the new holster I picked up. I like the 30 degree 'FBI' cant. Makes it a tad more concealable and snag resistant. The new flush base plate does really well in that regard as well. And still digging the grip tape I put on.

51004851260_a323128241_z.jpg

AGG

Staff member
Photo with the new holster I picked up. I like the 30 degree 'FBI' cant. Makes it a tad more concealable and snag resistant. The new flush base plate does really well in that regard as well. And still digging the grip tape I put on.

Nice rig. ;)

Tony

GuntherRommel

I've been rolling with a factory .357 barrel and .357 12 round mags in my usp 40 compact the whole time, its a tight lockup . Running out of practice ammo

Attachments

• 20210326_195007.jpg
    20210326_195007.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210326_195017.jpg
    20210326_195017.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210326_195029.jpg
    20210326_195029.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 5

Deputydave

If 357sig out of your pistols is anything like mine, it is sweet shooting. I compare the recoil out of the HK to 9mm out of a Glock. Very comfortable, very controllable. It’s kinda a tough choice between 40 S&W and 357sig out of the HK because of how well each shoots in it.

jorayr97

I've yet to shoot the USPc .357SIG I picked up a couple months ago, but plan to this week. I picked up 4 boxes of ammo, all they had, from GT Distributors in Jacksonville FL around Christmas time. I was shocked to find it for $15 a box. I plan to convert it to LEM and being a KK model, I have several upgrades moving my way.