What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who here has cut the cord?

jorayr97

We dropped AT&T Uverse several years ago and have been with Direct TV ever since. I renegotiate my contract every year and have kept it around $100, no movie channels.

We had Uverse for internet and it sucked, no fiber optic in our area so I went with Xfinity. Much better speeds with their gig plan.

All in all still too much money but I'm forced to work from home sometimes and have to have a high speed internet.

ENDER

Staff member
Today I was happy to drop off my Comcast equipment at the Xfinity store. Was also happy to track down those forgotten subscriptions and cancel them as well (AMC+ and Showtime)

I'm currently just living with Prime and a trial of Youtube. Let the experiment begin.

rand000

Contributing member
Not seeing BS pharmaceutical ads and Progressive ads EVER is basically the best thing about leaving cable.
The downside is totally losing touch with the real world whenever you watch TV/movies.
There's never any breaking news or emergency alerts to keep you in the loop with regards to local goings on.
In Los Angeles they cut to live high speed chases and anyone who cut the cord will miss out on that excitement.

ctyatty

Vudu and Prime, along with YouTubeTV & Netflix family plans shared with my kids = more than enough content + all the freebies on LG smart TV for tons of old re-runs (along with more than my fill of $$ preachers & infomercials)
Who could need or want anything more?
Combined with my small town’s local utility 100mb DSL =
cost per household for content & delivery <$100 a month.

Now that true Mesh wifi boxes are available (point to point rather than point to hub) - thinking about promoting the idea getting the neighbors on one mesh with one DSL high speed @ ~$100 - so get delivery down to $34 each. 😀

Last edited by a moderator:

Brobus

Staff member
I know this subject well since I install electronic systems in homes and businesses. It really depend on how you want to watch TV, how many TVs you have and how many locations (Main home, lake house, ski house, farm, ranch, etc) you have. Some services only allow you to stream X many at a time, some will charge more for more streams and some are unlimited as long as you have the bandwidth. Some services track your IP and others do not. For example Hulu does not track your IP/location unless you upgrade to Hulu live. Not a big deal
Until you try watching it at your lake house and a message pops up asking if you moved. You can also “move” 3 times a year. Others services like D Stream do not track you location (Yet) so you can save a lot more money by running the same app at multiple locations. I have a client running their Spectrum app at their main house, ski house, ranch and on their private plane.

Last edited by a moderator:

ctyatty

have had a mifi for years - works great for my laptop & iPad - here is a new option from Verizon
1C68C6EF-A573-4AE7-961A-3B472C63FE56.jpeg

rand000

Contributing member
HULU actually seems to be much worse than cable or broadcast TV in terms of the amount of ads and no way to skip through them.

ctyatty

except for a couple of Hulu content shows - I don’t care for Hulu - had it & quit

rand000

Contributing member
TUBI TV is really one of the best resources for hard to find film and TV that Netflix HBO/Starz/etc. don't offer.

ENDER

Staff member
TUBI TV is really one of the best resources for hard to find film and TV that Netflix HBO/Starz/etc. don't offer.
Pluto TV i'm finding is also an excellent source for free entertainment as well.

GuntherRommel

People tend to forgot their public library, they have a lot stuff for free including new release movies for download and dvd

ENDER

Staff member
People tend to forgot their public library, they have a lot stuff for free including new release movies for download and dvd
A few yrs ago, I was able to access Hoopla through my local library. They had many desirable titles but limited you to maybe 5 titles a month - making it difficult to binge. It looks like they are now doing Kanopy. I'll have to look into it.

GuntherRommel

sadly, pretty soon there won't be any library's left. twilight zone

Attachments

• main-qimg-ad7f7df0b9054f1dc379714eb25f4600-c.jpg
    main-qimg-ad7f7df0b9054f1dc379714eb25f4600-c.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1