What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are people hating on the UMP's so much?

Guyanaman1963

Man I feel your pain... I still get too many firearm urges but thankfully I am able to hold them at bay these days. The pending anti gun doom that is surely coming down the pipe has really helped me make the hard decisions I have put off for years. I've cut down my collection by at least 60% and even though I miss a few of them... I am truly at peace. I know I should have done this years ago but man this is a strong addiction... lol. I still have more redundancy than I truly need but I've chopped my long guns down to just 12 (my dirty dozen) not including shotguns or rimfire. All I can say is stay strong man and focus on less is more. Go for the optics you've always dreamed about... get body armor and night vision if you haven't already... work on your ammo fort if it isn't as deep as it needs to be... etc.
Awesome advise... thanks!!!

AGG

Staff member
I feel the same way about my PS90 that I did about my UMP. Really cool looking gun that completely sucks for trigger pulling. I just haven't gotten around to selling it yet. It has cured me of any desire for an MP7 though.

That is very nice--- personally, I would keep it--- what barrel did you use? :)

Tony

HKshooter

I haven't noticed any UMP "hate" per se, nor felt any myself. Once upon a day I wanted a conversion but price and sanity stayed my hand and today I own and enjoy a host of other firearms because I didn't go down that road. And I sleep very well with that decision. Should the day come when I stumble across a nice conversion for a good price that fits my definition of such, I may own one. Until then I have way too much sanity and self control coupled with far to few spare dollars to light fire to.

eodinert

I don't understand how people can't own a gun unless it's perfect...and if it's not, they pretend it is. Wonky guns are usually way more interesting than 'good' guns. An AR is a great gun, but it's boring. It's a tool that's been refined by years of evolution.

I have an FS2000, and I waited to buy the one with the space helmet (not because it's good). I am amused that the vent in the gas block will do it's best to cut the sling in half due to it's placement. It's interesting thinking, but not really a good design. The ejection system is insane. I have a Ps90, and it's one of my favorites... not because it's a great gun, but it was a great effort. Truly a unique effort by people un-burdened with pre-conceived notions about what a gun was supposed to be. I have TWO UMPs; one in 45 and one in 9mm. They are cool. They are interesting. They are not great. The G36 is the same.

Get one because you think it's cool. It doesn't have to be great.

dirtyharriett

I don't understand how people can't own a gun unless it's perfect...and if it's not, they pretend it is. Wonky guns are usually way more interesting than 'good' guns. An AR is a great gun, but it's boring. It's a tool that's been refined by years of evolution.

I have an FS2000, and I waited to buy the one with the space helmet (not because it's good). I am amused that the vent in the gas block will do it's best to cut the sling in half due to it's placement. It's interesting thinking, but not really a good design. The ejection system is insane. I have a Ps90, and it's one of my favorites... not because it's a great gun, but it was a great effort. Truly a unique effort by people un-burdened with pre-conceived notions about what a gun was supposed to be. I have TWO UMPs; one in 45 and one in 9mm. They are cool. They are interesting. They are not great. The G36 is the same.

Get one because you think it's cool. It doesn't have to be great.
Amen brother... very few gun have no flaws. I buy and keep what I like and what I need the most... beyond that to each their own. I don't feel the need to try and drag every one else's choices through the mud into oblivion.

copdoc

Thanks. I'll look for anything specific you want.

I did not know there were so many clones. Its another language to learn.

AGG

Staff member
Thanks. I'll look for anything specific you want.

I did not know there were so many clones. Its another language to learn.

Thank you for the offer--- I have a few of various kinds. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tony

copdoc

I actually like the 16" semi better than short bbl buzz gun. Both have poor triggers.
I feel the same way about my PS90 that I did about my UMP. Really cool looking gun that completely sucks for trigger pulling. I just haven't gotten around to selling it yet. It has cured me of any desire for an MP7 though.

DocHolliday

Contributing member
I could never figure out why people hate on the UMP either. With the caveat that I've never shot mine without a suppressor, the recoil impulse isn't anything out of the ordinary. Is it the same as the roller-delayed 9mm gold standard? No, but I wouldn't expect it to be. My seven year old son doesn't seem to mind it haha.

Maybe in full auto I would see what people are talking about, but thankfully the US government has saved me from having to find out. That's sarcasm in case you're slow.

dirtyharriett

I could never figure out why people hate on the UMP either. With the caveat that I've never shot mine without a suppressor, the recoil impulse isn't anything out of the ordinary. Is it the same as the roller-delayed 9mm gold standard? No, but I wouldn't expect it to be. My seven year old son doesn't seem to mind it haha.

Maybe in full auto I would see what people are talking about, but thankfully the US government has saved me from having to find out. That's sarcasm in case you're slow.
It became in fashion to do so... that is why. It is like the B&T people trying to say that the hydraulic dampening system is better or as good as the delayed blow back... nope. I love B&T and still have quite a few of them but so far I don't think anything is as good as the MP5 platform. I think as a simple blow back system the UMPs work just fine IMHO.

freeride1

I could never figure out why people hate on the UMP either. With the caveat that I've never shot mine without a suppressor, the recoil impulse isn't anything out of the ordinary. Is it the same as the roller-delayed 9mm gold standard? No, but I wouldn't expect it to be.
That's why. Because it will always be compared to its predecessor. And compared to the MP5 it sucks. If it were released by another company it might have a more favorable rep, because people would compare it to the CZ Skorpion Evo and other cheap polymer blowback guns. Of course, it would be less hyped and desirable without the H&K name on it so maybe it would just be treated like a Striborg, Scorpion, etc.

dirtyharriett

It couldn't possibly be that a plastic blowback gun with a huge bolt sucks to shoot.

Expectations were high. Execution was good. Blowback was obsolete in 1950.
Man you guys need to get a life... give it a rest already.

Beating-Dead-Horse-GIF.gif