What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite non-HK or non-Colt AR-15 variants

Barn Owl Lover

These are four AR-15/AR-10 type rifles that I do actually like that aren't HK or Colt/Colt Canada made. First is the LMT MARS New Zealand Army service rifle/MARS NZ reference rifle. This has been out for a while, though only New Zealand has made service use of it, though LMT do make replicas for shooters and collectors. Also from LMT is the R20 Rahe, which is the new Estonian service rifle. Unlike the MARS that it's based on, it's a piston rifle as opposed to DI. LMT also later this year plan on making replicas of it for civilian sale for collectors and shooters.

Now this is an obscure AR-15/AR-10 variant made by a company better known for their hunting and target rifles in France. These are the Verney Carron VCD-10 and VCD-15. They're basic DI AR-10s and AR-15s, but are popular with target shooters and collectors in France and other nearby countries.

AGG

Staff member
How about Knight's Armament? :)
CZ is purchasing Colt Holding Company. ;)

Tony

Barn Owl Lover

I know that this might be heresy given that they were HK's rival in the German Army rifle competition, but I like some of the design features of the Haenel AR-15s and AR-10s. Most of their newer rifles have a right side bolt catch/release similar to the Colt Canada C20 (this doesn't apply to the 5.56mm/.223 rifles, though for some reason), and the upper design seems to be pretty streamlined stylistically.

And there's the Sig MCX, which you may or may not consider an AR-15 type rifle. It's more like an AR-18/180 in an AR-like shell, and even has a folding stock, and it's got (like LMT) a cool quick change barrel feature. I've been told that the HK433's quick change barrel feature is similar to that of the MCX's from what has been discerned about it.

Also, is this thread useless without pics or videos?

Barn Owl Lover

Now a couple of pics, first the LMT R20 Rahe:

Eh4UlSpUwAALj3W.jpg

Haenel CR223:

Haenel_CR223_g_li.png

ghoulardi

how about a close copy of a STONER 63.

ROBINSON ARMS EXPEDITONRY RIFLE.

RA-M96-EXPEDITIONARY-RIFLE.jpg

MSOGDAWG

how about a close copy of a STONER 63.

ROBINSON ARMS EXPEDITONRY RIFLE.

RA-M96-EXPEDITIONARY-RIFLE.jpg
I wish these would have done better than they did production wise. Would really like to have one but they are held on to by those that have em. I am not sure Robinson has much in parts support do they?

MMissile

I had a couple LMT piston rifles. Very nice. I've built a few others that I like more, since. Overall, I still prefer my DI rifles. My suppressed SBR is a piston, just to get the gases outta my face.

Guyanaman1963

I had a couple LMT piston rifles. Very nice. I've built a few others that I like more, since. Overall, I still prefer my DI rifles. My suppressed SBR is a piston, just to get the gases outta my face.
I have never built a rifle... not very mechanically inclined... but I’m thinking of trying my hand at one. At the worst, I can send it to someone to fix my screw up? 🤣 🤣 🤣
M.

MMissile

It's very easy. Buy quality parts. You'll have a great rifle, but don't expect resale value....unless somebody you know, knows how good it is. My builds aren't cheap, but awesome shooters, useful, and look great. My pics are too large to post most of them. I generally build mine to suit me. I can't see buying a high-dollar rifle, then changing a bunch of parts to suit my tastes.

Guyanaman1963

It's very easy. Buy quality parts. You'll have a great rifle, but don't expect resale value....unless somebody you know, knows how good it is. My builds aren't cheap, but awesome shooters, useful, and look great. My pics are too large to post most of them. I generally build mine to suit me. I can't see buying a high-dollar rifle, then changing a bunch of parts to suit my tastes.
Thanks for the encouragement, I think I will try it... I have to psych myself into it! :giggle:

MMissile

This is my last one. Very light rifle. It should be a laser, but I won't know till I bust it's cherry.

AR build left full.jpgAR build rt side mid.jpg

MMissile

My Noveske/VLTOR SPR/DMR. It lost the grip, very quickly, and has good glass on it now. This thing shoots!
post AR15 DMR build rt side.jpgpost AR15 DMR build lft side.jpg

Last edited: