What's new
HK Proshop : For the Heckler and Koch Enthusiast

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What HK do you EDC CCW?

Deputydave

Which HK do you carry as your EDC? Why did you choose it and why that caliber?

For me, if I'm going to carry one of my HK's it would either be my USPc in 40 S&W or P2000 in 40 S&W. Right now I lean towards the P2000. It is lighter than the USPc and feel great in my hand. While I don't consider any of the service calibers as head-n-shoulders above another, I simply like the 40 S&W and like a heavy-for-caliber bullet. In 40 S&W I am currently using Federal HST.

How about you folks?

Guyanaman1963

I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra 2, w/ Crimson Laser grips, melded Magwell and pinky extender on mags.
If I was to array an HK, it would be my USPc .45.
The only reason why I do not carry it is because I’m better trained on a 1911 format than anything else.
M.

MMissile

Been carrying this for quite a few years. I've carried many compact/sub-compacts, SA/DA, Striker, many brands and calibers..... and this is the one I'm most comfortable with. I prefer a Yaqui-slide for carry.

HK USPc carry.jpg

HK yaqui.jpg

Last edited:

Guyanaman1963

Been carrying this for quite a few years. I've carried many compact/sub-compacts, SA/DA, Striker, many brands and calibers..... and this is the one I'm most comfortable with. I prefer a Yaqui-slide for carry.

View attachment 910

View attachment 913
Nice Rig!!!
I really like the Yaqui slide holsters, but I always try to stuff a full size 1911 in it! It works and sits firmly... the barrel just hangs out the bottom of my shirt! 😂

Guyanaman1963

USP45FS (Variant 1)--- stopping power. ;)

Tony
Tony how do you carry that? IWB, AIWB, OWB or some other way? Just curious as I used to carry in the small of my back, but now I kind of wobble when I walk and don't want to risk shattering my spine on a piece of steel! 😂
M.

Deputydave

USP9C for me and those 9mm's seem to work just fine for the hoodlums in Philthytown so I figure they'll work well enough for me.

Excellent choice. I actually got my USPc as a 9mm. A seller on Armslist had a complete 40 S&W slide for sale so I purchased it. Simple slide change is all that was needed to make it a 40 S&W. Then I purchased a 357sig barrel from RCM to make it a 3-in-1 platform. Big thumbs up all the way around. Shot it a couple of weeks ago at the local Outlaw match and really enjoyed shooting it. Very pleasant to shoot, even with the 40/357 rounds.

And welcome to the board :)

Guyanaman1963

Excellent choice. I actually got my USPc as a 9mm. A seller on Armslist had a complete 40 S&W slide for sale so I purchased it. Simple slide change is all that was needed to make it a 40 S&W. Then I purchased a 357sig barrel from RCM to make it a 3-in-1 platform. Big thumbs up all the way around. Shot it a couple of weeks ago at the local Outlaw match and really enjoyed shooting it. Very pleasant to shoot, even with the 40/357 rounds.

And welcome to the board :)
I like the idea of the 3 in one platform! Which do you prefer the most or enjoy the most... 9mm, .357, or .40?

Deputydave

I like the idea of the 3 in one platform! Which do you prefer the most or enjoy the most... 9mm, .357, or .40?

My personal preference is 40 S&W. I have to insert a caveat though, in my experience, there is really no difference in terminal ballistics between the service calibers. I'm not a proponent of 'energy', rather penetration and expansion are the two key factors after reliability. There are small advantages/disadvantages for each. But nothing that puts one head-n-shoulders above the other. So I'm fine with any of them, personal preference is just for 40 S&W just because I always liked the caliber. But I normally carry a Sig P365 9mm and feel just as fine with it as either my USPc or P2000 in 40S&W.

As far as the 3-n-1, I really like it! A lot! Just makes the platform extremely versatile. My P2000 is a 2-n-1 with 40/357 and my Glock 22.4 is a 2-n-1 with 40/9. The 357sig from RCM was recommended to me by a member on another forum and it's been outstanding. Very accurate. I didn't know that the frame of the USPc was the same whether it's 9mm or 40 S&W so it was a pleasant surprise when that complete 40 S&W slide came up for sale. And that allowed the option of 357sig as well.

And I've found that a 2-n-1 or 3-n-1 platform gives me some options when ammo starts to get scarce, like now. If I can't find one caliber I've upped my chances of finding one of the others. Comes in handy.

Plus you have the familiarity of shooting the same platform regardless of the caliber. Big plus.

Guyanaman1963

Agreed! I personally like prefer the .45 more than anything else. I am not opposed to any other calibers but my preference is towards the .45.
I think I would switch to a .357 magnum if HK made a USP to take it! LOL!
M.

ETA: but man... I do love my 1911’s !!!!

AGG

Staff member
Tony how do you carry that? IWB, AIWB, OWB or some other way? Just curious as I used to carry in the small of my back, but now I kind of wobble when I walk and don't want to risk shattering my spine on a piece of steel! 😂
M.

IWB--- 2 or 3 o'clock--- depending upon what I am doing. :)

Tony

Deputydave

Yep, love a 45acp pistol! We carried Glock 21's my last 15+ years and it has an excellent track record (both the caliber and the pistol). Really like my USP 45 and the HK45c is on my short list. :)

And while researching 45 Super I looked at a lot of videos by Chuke's Outdoor's Adventures in Alaska on YT. He's a 10mm guy but bought an HK45 which was one of his dream guns to own. He talked about how popular the 45acp was in Alaska. I can verify that as my uncle lived in Alaska for 30 years and 45acp was his caliber of choice.

Hk-USPC-40

MMissile I notice the ported slide on you're USP40c, Very Interesting!!

My USP40c is my #1 Carry Gun Currently, One or Both of the Two..
My #1 Carry Rig is a DeSantis Speed Scabbard carried @ 4 oclock
DeSantis Hk USPc.jpgDeSantis Hk USP.jpgTwin Hks.JPG

Deputydave

Definitely took a bit of snap out of it. Magna-Port is 10 minutes from my home. I had them Pro-Port one of my Benelli shotguns. Really took some flip out of it.

Do you find a lot of hot gases or particulates being ejected through the ports when firing? If you've done any night firing, how well does it work i.e. any flash through the porting?

My concern with porting a SD pistol is having to shoot it at less than arms length below the line of sight while not wearing eye protection. It may not be an issue at all, but has always been a concern of mine.

HK12Step

I’m a 357Sig kid. A few moons ago, started with a G32 for personal CCW because I was able to pick it up blue label and the price was right. It is a good gun, but I like hammers. Traded it for my first USPc in 357Sig. Been carrying the USPc for years now and still do the majority of the time but was fortunate to also pick up the P2000 and P2000SK so they are all in play, especially the SK in the hot summers. It’s loud yes, but the recoil is very manageable and I feel it the takes a little bit from each from the “big three” calibers and puts it into a nice package. Plus for me it’s usually impervious to shortages and does not cost all that much more, sometimes it’s a wash on price. I know many say it’s a niche round but it has a loyal base (though smaller) and been around for a quarter century+ so I’m not worried about it going anywhere anytime soon.